• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 10 Tech Preview Rocks BF4

Blackstone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
4,098
Upgraded from Windows 7 64 to the Windows 10 Tech preview. A few quirks but wow it is a whole lot smoother. ALL stuttering is gone. At higher resolution scale rates frames still dip, but there is no stuttering. SLI works great.

A few work arounds required to get things installed but nothing major.

Also should note my media center software works perfectly. Do I like the OS itself. I dunno but performance is better.

i never used Windows 8 or 8.1 so I can't speak to the performance boost there. It is a noticable subjective improvement.
 
Not sure why this needed its own thread, there's already a BF4 thread. Windows 10 was really just Windows 8.2, before marketing decided to change it to 10 (references to 8.2 all over the place in it) so you would've had the same experience of smoother BF4 in Win8, just FYI. And that's not because Win8 is inherently smoother playing games, but the developers lack of optimization for Win7.
 
Not sure why this needed its own thread, there's already a BF4 thread. Windows 10 was really just Windows 8.2, before marketing decided to change it to 10 (references to 8.2 all over the place in it) so you would've had the same experience of smoother BF4 in Win8, just FYI. And that's not because Win8 is inherently smoother playing games, but the developers lack of optimization for Win7.
Actually that's somewhat incorrect. Windows 8 has a much better task scheduler and that's why Battlefield 4 runs better. It's more efficient at utilizing your available processor cores.

You can achieve some of the same gains in Windows 7 by unparking your processor cores. http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility
 
Not sure why this needed its own thread, there's already a BF4 thread. Windows 10 was really just Windows 8.2, before marketing decided to change it to 10 (references to 8.2 all over the place in it) so you would've had the same experience of smoother BF4 in Win8, just FYI. And that's not because Win8 is inherently smoother playing games, but the developers lack of optimization for Win7.

Like 7 was VistaR2 internally.
 
Actually that's somewhat incorrect. Windows 8 has a much better task scheduler and that's why Battlefield 4 runs better. It's more efficient at utilizing your available processor cores.

You can achieve some of the same gains in Windows 7 by unparking your processor cores. http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

No doubt re: unparking cores. I was referring to the DICE developers specifically, and trying to avoid getting into the technical minutiae. The developers stated that it initially ran worse on Win7 because of an "optimization oversight" (their words), since they were mostly running Win8 dev boxes at the time.

Regardless, WIn8's better task scheduler makes little difference on benchmarks for 98% of other games in Win7/Win8 head-to-heads. There are plenty of reasons to like Win8/8.1, but with few exceptions, generally speaking games aren't going to perform significantly better on 8 than 7.
 
Last edited:
No doubt re: unparking cores. I was referring to the DICE developers specifically, and trying to avoid getting into the technical minutiae. The developers stated that it initially ran worse on Win7 because of an "optimization oversight" (their words), since they were mostly running Win8 dev boxes at the time.

Regardless, WIn8's better task scheduler makes little difference on benchmarks for 98% of other games in Win7/Win8 head-to-heads. There are plenty of reasons to like Win8/8.1, but with few exceptions, generally speaking games aren't going to perform significantly better on 8 than 7.
Fair enough :) I wonder how much of that is simply that most PC games aren't written for more than 2-4 cores? BF4 is one of the few that will use more than 4 cores if you have them.
 
When I went from win7 to 8.1 BF4 was defintilet smoother for me and a friend of mine. That said I still get some wierd tearing or hitching at high FPS so I have to use Vsync and cap the framerate 1hz below my refresh rate ( to avoid input lag). Though a lot of high FPS games are like this on my machine for some reason. I think its my monitor and screen tear.
 
I thought the BF4 issues on Windows 7 just had to do with Hyperthreading ... once you disabled it the problems went away.
 
After trying W10 out I miss my start screen, I'm probably the only one...
People just haven't found the potential of the Start screen. Customize it (remove most of the stock crap) with (pin) the applications you commonly use, have Windows go to the desktop when you boot (that's Windows 8.1), use Windows key to bring up Start screen to launch the applications you commonly use.

I think what I like most about Windows 8.x is the Task Manager. It shows all information in one convenient area so you know when drives, network, and CPU are being utilized.

taskman.png


LOOK AT IT. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT!? I hate it when I'm on Windows 7 and I don't know if something's taking long because the hard drive is in use. It's really the hard drive activity that I like.
 
People just haven't found the potential of the Start screen. Customize it (remove most of the stock crap) with (pin) the applications you commonly use, have Windows go to the desktop when you boot (that's Windows 8.1), use Windows key to bring up Start screen to launch the applications you commonly use.

I think what I like most about Windows 8.x is the Task Manager. It shows all information in one convenient area so you know when drives, network, and CPU are being utilized.

taskman.png


LOOK AT IT. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT!? I hate it when I'm on Windows 7 and I don't know if something's taking long because the hard drive is in use. It's really the hard drive activity that I like.

That and this right click on start tile for admin tools.
 
win 8 been a great OS, look forward win 10 and games has been smooth.
dragon age inq next :)
 
Back
Top