Windows 10 Tech Preview is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update is available today to get to the newest build. A few new features, but it breaks a couple others...

http://www.mstechpages.com/2014/10/new-preview-build-for-windows-10/

FOTHER MUCKER!!!

Well, I guess I'll be reinstalling the tech preview to get today's big update... I wonder if the ISOs are updated?

GRRH. I forgot since Windows 8 Microsoft really doesn't want you re-locating the user profile directories. I have done it ever since I began using SSDs for my OS drive... I like all those app scratch disk files and whatnot to stay on a mechanical drive. Not to mention documents, pictures, and other junk.

I am installing in a virtual manager right now. Heard yesterday that they willonly keep updating 7 til Jan 14 2020, so I better start planning for the apocalypse.

So after reinstalling the original Windows 10 Tech Preview, and letting it download the new build from toda... err... yesterday, it pretty much does an 'upgrade' reinstall of the entire OS. Dirty, dirty, dirty and I don't like it.

Microsoft have said they have no plans to release an updated .ISO for this build either - so no official method for a clean install.

The internet is a great place full of wonderfully talented people, though.... and someone has a solution!

http://www.chris123nt.com/2014/10/21/make-an-iso-for-window-10-9860/

I'm going to try this method out now....

So after reinstalling the original Windows 10 Tech Preview, and letting it download the new build from toda... err... yesterday, it pretty much does an 'upgrade' reinstall of the entire OS. Dirty, dirty, dirty and I don't like it.

Microsoft have said they have no plans to release an updated .ISO for this build either - so no official method for a clean install.

The internet is a great place full of wonderfully talented people, though.... and someone has a solution!

http://www.chris123nt.com/2014/10/21/make-an-iso-for-window-10-9860/

I'm going to try this method out now....

Mine just went through the process .. I should check it since I also redirect some user folders.

For it to have to do a complete reinstall is weird. I hope they change that process.

The article I linked above about converting the .ESD file into a fully fledged install ISO worked fantastic!

Quick, painless, and I have a clean install now.

Things I've noticed different:

- The UI seems to have small changes in a lot of places.... for instance there is a new 'pop-in' effect when opening a new window where it seems to open a few pixels taller and wider and then 'settle' down to normal. Can't decide if I like that or not...
- Action Center (obviously)
- A few things that seem to be portable-centric, like a new 'Battery Saver' screen under PC and Devices. (even though I'm using this on a desktop machine)

The article I linked above about converting the .ESD file into a fully fledged install ISO worked fantastic!

Quick, painless, and I have a clean install now.

Things I've noticed different:

- The UI seems to have small changes in a lot of places.... for instance there is a new 'pop-in' effect when opening a new window where it seems to open a few pixels taller and wider and then 'settle' down to normal. Can't decide if I like that or not...
- Action Center (obviously)
- A few things that seem to be portable-centric, like a new 'Battery Saver' screen under PC and Devices. (even though I'm using this on a desktop machine)

I think it is great that it worked. :D The thing I do not understand mostly is why you would bother since the download and install that would be done is a clean install as well. Of course, if you want to install it to another drive or machine without first having to install the other version, that makes sense.

FOTHER MUCKER!!!

Well, I guess I'll be reinstalling the tech preview to get today's big update... I wonder if the ISOs are updated?

GRRH. I forgot since Windows 8 Microsoft really doesn't want you re-locating the user profile directories. I have done it ever since I began using SSDs for my OS drive... I like all those app scratch disk files and whatnot to stay on a mechanical drive. Not to mention documents, pictures, and other junk.

What???? I so far have not had any problems with redirecting my user app folders. I even did an upgrade over Windows 8.1 with my SSD / Hard drive config and it worked correctly. (It was a cloned copy to another drive that I used though, I did not want to nuke my entire working installation.)

I think it is great that it worked. :D The thing I do not understand mostly is why you would bother since the download and install that would be done is a clean install as well.

No, it's not. That's the thing. When you let the original Tech Preview of Windows 10 do the update, it essentially does an 'upgrade' install. Takes a long ass time and leaves you with tons of extra crap (such a s a Windows.old directory, etc) and does some other weird stuff with your original environment, files, and settings.

I know there are people that are fine with that, but it bugs the shit out of me.

What???? I so far have not had any problems with redirecting my user app folders. I even did an upgrade over Windows 8.1 with my SSD / Hard drive config and it worked correctly. (It was a cloned copy to another drive that I used though, I did not want to nuke my entire working installation.)

The only thing I can guess is that it didn't like the fact that I redirect ALL of the user directories, not just my own. I also redirect the 'Public', 'Default', and 'All Users' to another drive as well as the main Users directory (so that Windows will create new users on my mechanical drive as well and not on the SSD).

I've always done this through the registry, not through symlinking or anything like that.

No, it's not. That's the thing. When you let the original Tech Preview of Windows 10 do the update, it essentially does an 'upgrade' install. Takes a long ass time and leaves you with tons of extra crap (such a s a Windows.old directory, etc) and does some other weird stuff with your original environment, files, and settings.

I know there are people that are fine with that, but it bugs the shit out of me.

So, you are saying that it leaves all the apps in place then? I could have sworn I read somewhere that you have to reinstall everything once the installation is complete.

So, you are saying that it leaves all the apps in place then? I could have sworn I read somewhere that you have to reinstall everything once the installation is complete.

There was a note that it reinstalls the Modern apps as it re-provisions your account. That was the only bit I saw that is similar.

All the apps are still in place after the update. I hold my breath after each one.

Out of curiosity - anyone running Nexus Mod Manager after Windows 10 update? Mine is crashing now, and I'm putting it on Windows 10 (I don't expect things to work 100% in the tech previews, but I'd like to get it working).

They released a nice update that installed for me yesterday and now my web browsing performance has gone to absolute crap across all browsers IE/Chrome/FF.

Opening any page is slow, even opening local pages on our LAN is taking 5-10 seconds to load pages.

Co-Work beside me on Windows 8.1 - perfectly fine.

This is pre-alpha software. Things will be breaking constantly, and the expectation should be that nothing will work.

If you need beta-quality software, you're advised to wait until the Consumer Preview.

I updated to 9860 and noticed 2 new programs on my tablet, "Docking Controller" and "zPC settings" which has added OEM* and Pending or Deprecated* to the settings menu. In the "Pending" settings it seems like there is an option to allow swiping from the left to switch between apps instead of opening the task view. It doesn't seem to save the setting with I attempt to turn it on but its expected that not everything will work 100%.

Automatic Keyboard pop up is working again but the IE metro workaround doesn't function anymore.

I have noticed that 9860 is slower than the previous build but I can live with it for the auto keyboard pop up.

can any one post a link to an iso of the newest build as to make a clean install? surely someone had an iso out there by now....or is it better to stick with the first release? (9841) every time i try to check for newer build it just gives me an error...course window update does still in fact work fine
Capture_zps33a7220b.png
[/URL][/IMG]

The only thing I can guess is that it didn't like the fact that I redirect ALL of the user directories, not just my own. I also redirect the 'Public', 'Default', and 'All Users' to another drive as well as the main Users directory (so that Windows will create new users on my mechanical drive as well and not on the SSD).

I've always done this through the registry, not through symlinking or anything like that.

That would be it. You can redirect individual folders to another drive, but never the whole profile. What you did is meant for a test enviroment not meant to be upgraded.
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/

went with a clean install after zeroing my ssd of course.....loving this new build
Capture_zps2ea64443.png
[/URL][/IMG]

This is going to be the best os they ever did my a large margin.:D

This is going to be the best os they ever did my a large margin.:D

If the execution is there you may be correct. But with the available bits and what Microsoft is yet to come, I don't see any major missteps like Windows 8. And response this far to 10 seems to be on the whole very positive. Of course some of that has to with "10 can't be another Windows 8" which it won't be in terms of the tablet/desktop UI issues 8 has.

FOTHER MUCKER!!!

this solution works perfect......i made clean install using these directions and loving it:D Onlu driver i loaded was display and sound and this is speed i get is nice as well

Last edited:
A few things that seem to be portable-centric, like a new 'Battery Saver' screen under PC and Devices. (even though I'm using this on a desktop machine)
Windows' battery features are not strictly for mobile computers.

The same subsytem that manages the battery in your laptop can also manage a UPS attached to a workstation or server.

Always nice when a server can detect there's been a power failure and automatically reduce its power usage to extend the runtime of the UPS.

Windows' battery features are not strictly for mobile computers.

True. I think that it's often forgotten in a place like this with so many people with desktops that 2/3rds or more of Windows devices sold these days have batteries.

Anyone used W10 with engineering software like solidworks and inventor? Upgrading my mobo/processor this weekend so I'm doing a clean install and was thinking of trying this out.

Well, I installed it at home as an upgrade over Windows 8.1 Pro. (Did this onto another SSD other than my main one.) Seemed to go well but, I am immediately finding the Start Screen to be more useful at home than the Start Menu. Having all my programs on a screen in my face and not having to search for something through a long all apps menu is something I did not realize how much I appreciate until now.

I finally came around to Windows 8.1, but only with an immediate install of Classic Shell. Sorry, but there's no just defending that horrid thing known as Start Screen. :D

I only need it for the occasional quick search. I tend to pin all of my more frequently used programs to the task bar, but that lack of simple search made Windows 8 a serious pain to use for me. It figures when they bring it back a Start Button we are more familiar with in Windows 10 and all of a sudden everyone loves Windows 10.

Windows 8 preview was the biggest mess I ever installed staying away from this and keeping 8.1 as long as possible even if 10 is free doesn't mean anything it's just a number the start Menu is like the Cover girl Nutella always wanted that Ballmar didn't get.

I had to install windows 8 like 3-4 different times.... on different motherboards now with my glut of files I wouldn't consider it unless I had some time off to do it.

Windows 8 preview was the biggest mess I ever installed staying away from this and keeping 8.1 as long as possible even if 10 is free doesn't mean anything it's just a number the start Menu is like the Cover girl Nutella always wanted that Ballmar didn't get.

I had to install windows 8 like 3-4 different times.... on different motherboards now with my glut of files I wouldn't consider it unless I had some time off to do it.

totally your loss...this preview is best Microsoft has have achieved .......and takes what 5 min or less to install:) the latest build is a total thumbs up for me:D

totally your loss...this preview is best Microsoft has have achieved .......and takes what 5 min or less to install:) the latest build is a total thumbs up for me:D

You had me at "best". Think I'll install this as my main OS on my gaming rig. I use my Macbook for everything else anyway.

Found this on winbeta.org.

Enterprise x64: care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/2/4/1/241BC554-B5F7-4E72-9115-DC069F1139F6/NovFlightDLC/9879.0.141103-1722.FBL_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO

Any difference between this and the regular tech preview version? Enterprise should be the same, ya?

The new build appears to have brought back the ability to use One Drive without a connected account.

Woooot! :D

Now I can drop Google Drive and go back to Microsoft!

The only thing left I hope they change is to continue removing prompts to "suggest" using a connected account, like when you sign into Windows Store. Just let me sign in without being harassed about a connected account that I will never use.

I did a fresh install of 9879 and all is working great so far. It's nothing ground breaking, but it seems relatively stable for a Tech Preview. Feels like Windows 8.1 without having to install a start menu replacement program.

I've also noticed the Start Menu is still a little buggy. It doesn't allow me to customize it quite how I want. I want a large size tile at the top and two small tiles underneath. It only allows that to be side by side for some reason.

I just up graded win10 to 9879 and I can finally OC my ES 6234 Opteron chip using TPC . before when I tried the OS would kick ne out to the log in screen or just continue to flash which made me have to do a Hard reboot

How do you remove all the Microsoft Apps from Start -> All Apps? There's like 30 of them. Right click -> Uninstall doesn't remove them...

Has anyone else noticed a slow down of the OS, i notice for example when i do ctrl+alt+del to lock my computer it takes a few seconds before the screen comes up to choose....

Also, is VirtualBox working for anyone to run on Win 10? it just wont start for me..

And VMWare workstation refuses to connect to my NIC to give internet to my VM's.

I just want to know if they fixed the WIFI, because this is what made me uninstall it. I couldn't connect to any wifi networks, and I depend on them.

Wifi is flakey for me sometimes on my laptop says it cant connect or limited, have to do a full reboot for it to pickup.

Also i hate the Wifi option and now it takes you to PC Settings where you then have to click on WiFi just to do something that took 1 click before...

Extremely disappointed in the latest build - they've completely regressed on OneDrive support. The ability to see your files without syncing them was a killer feature introduced in Win8.1. With that gone OneDrive is incredibly weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back