Windows 10 Overtakes XP And 8.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the latest stats, when it comes to desktop operating system market share, Windows 10 is now second only to Windows 7. Here's the breakdown:

In January, Windows 10 snagged a global market share of 11.85 percent, up from 9.96 percent in December, researcher Net Market Share reported Monday. The latest number showed a healthy upturn following several months of slower growth in adoption. At the same time, Windows XP usage actually inched up about half a point from last month to 11.4 percent, while Windows 8.1's cut of the market remained flat at 10.4 percent.

Windows 7 is still crushing Windows 10 despite Microsoft's best efforts to kill it

I would say Windows 10 is an epic fail on Microsoft, most especially that it is "free" and Windows 7 is STILL stomping it.

I would say Windows 10 is an epic fail on Microsoft, most especially that it is "free" and Windows 7 is STILL stomping it.

Before people get caught up talking about how much Windows 10 has "failed" it would be profitable to see how much time each new release took to overtake the entrenched version.

Before people get caught up talking about how much Windows 10 has "failed" it would be profitable to see how much time each new release took to overtake the entrenched version.

I would agree, except that all of the previous ones were upgrades that had to be purchased. You have to hold back the numbers because this is a "free" upgrade (they are getting their money somewhere, but I won't argue). All of the over 50% them are still Windows 7 computers and they ...could... have upgraded for free, but still remain. This tells the story.

I would agree, except that all of the previous ones were upgrades that had to be purchased. You have to hold back the numbers because this is a "free" upgrade (they are getting their money somewhere, but I won't argue). All of the over 50% them are still Windows 7 computers and they ...could... have upgraded for free, but still remain. This tells the story.

But it's a bit more complicated than this. There were introductory deals and free upgrade periods for Windows 7. And none of that or the free upgrade for 10 have any real impact on enterprise deployments which is were most of the growth from 10 will next.

But it's a bit more complicated than this. There were introductory deals and free upgrade periods for Windows 7. And none of that or the free upgrade for 10 have any real impact on enterprise deployments which is were most of the growth from 10 will next.

Call it a hunch, but I believe Enterprise deployments will take almost as long as the transition from XP to 7 did. I'm willing to bet money Enterprise will hold onto 7 until its dying breath just like XP.

I'm not sure the whole privacy/metadata issue is even present on Enterprise versions (I doubt it), but even if it were MS has several years to correct it before it becomes too pressing. I honestly doubt this is the holdup.

I really believe the holdup on the transition will be for the exact same reasons as the transition from XP to 7... money money money. No one wants to spend it, and 7 will be good enough for years to come due to lower demand for bleeding edge hardware in the Enterprise side. In other words, for every high end server or workstation, there are a 100 other mediocre low end clients.

The same was said about Windows XP when Windows 7 came out.

Nope, not the same. People actually liked 7. Back before Windows spied on users and didn't have to be desperately given away if not outright force installed.

Six months versus six years.

none of Microsoft's other new OS releases were as heavily promoted nor given away free nor forced upon the end-user like W10...the fact that Windows 7 is still going strong after all the heavy hand-id-ness my MS shows that the public is rejecting W10

Nope, not the same. People actually liked 7. Back before Windows spied on users and didn't have to be desperately given away if not outright force installed.

That's such a weird comment, given the support Google seems to get.

This is a weird comment. What does support given to Google itself have to do with this?

To claim that Windows spies on users (which, when compared to Google's spying is so far apart that you'd practically need a different word definition to describe the big G) and that people are reluctant to use Windows 10 because of the comparatively small amount of data collection it does do, while Google's Android and Chrome enjoy widespread adoption and use besides the fact that those products are primarily spyware, is ludicrous.

People love to interpret things however they want based on their own bias. But the numbers and information anyone needs are right in the article or at net applications.

At the same time, Windows XP usage actually inched up about half a point from last month to 11.4 percent, while Windows 8.1's cut of the market remained flat at 10.4 percent

So what does this means it means whatever gains windows 10 is making it is NOT making them against windows XP or windows 8.1. Care to guess which OS took the largest hit from windows 10? It was windows 7. The largest winner last month was windows 10 increasing almost 2% the largest loser last month was windows 7 which lost over 3%. The only 2 OS versions that lost market share were windows 8 and windows 7. So it seems the market is moving rapidly away from windows 7 to just about anything else as every other OS had gains last month.

none of Microsoft's other new OS releases were as heavily promoted nor given away free nor forced upon the end-user like W10...the fact that Windows 7 is still going strong after all the heavy hand-id-ness my MS shows that the public is rejecting W10

Windows 7 lost 3% share in these latest numbers, that's not really going strong. Not matter how heavily promoted of forced you think 10 is, hundreds of millions of Windows 7 machines don't get converted in months, it's the work of years. And enterprises haven't started yet. Many, like mine, are going to start later thing year with 10 deployments. If those deployments start in large numbers, it's still going to be two to three years for Windows 10 to displace 7 overall.

However in one important consumer market in this form, gaming, 10 blowing easily by 7. 10 x64 will probably displace 7 x64 this month or next in the Steam survey as the #1 desktop gaming OS.

I have to say I finally took the plunge from Windows 7 (didn't even bother with 8) and clean installed Windows 10. Install went flawless and I have to say Mikey likes it. Spent some time bringing over what I had used in Windows 7 and have everything working quite nice now. I was pretty hesitate to move to this OS just like I was when I moved from XP to 7. After I did it I had the same feeling both times, "I like it, don't know why I was trippin". Got Spybot Anti Beacon running to cut off Microsoft and I'm good.

There are a lot of machines that lack driver support for 10.

This. And a lot of the people are probably older and still don't really know what it is. My parents and in-laws to not name a few. I did attempt to give my in-laws 10 but their 4yr old computer didn't care for it.

Windows 7 lost 3% share in these latest numbers, that's not really going strong. Not matter how heavily promoted of forced you think 10 is, hundreds of millions of Windows 7 machines don't get converted in months, it's the work of years. And enterprises haven't started yet. Many, like mine, are going to start later thing year with 10 deployments. If those deployments start in large numbers, it's still going to be two to three years for Windows 10 to displace 7 overall.

However in one important consumer market in this form, gaming, 10 blowing easily by 7. 10 x64 will probably displace 7 x64 this month or next in the Steam survey as the #1 desktop gaming OS.

Windows XP usage went up as well, so you can't really extract any meaningful information from Windows 7 losing 3%...plus it doesn't tell you how these numbers were reached, did someone using W7 accidentally click the W10 upgrade icon?...did it come pre-installed?...did someone download it to try it out before reverting back?...Windows 10 is currently free to upgrade so theoretically the numbers should be much higher and older OS charts should not apply because Vista, 7, and 8 were never free

gaming numbers will be high only because of future DX12 support...in general W10 does not perform better then W7 from a purely gaming perspective

To claim that Windows spies on users (which, when compared to Google's spying is so far apart that you'd practically need a different word definition to describe the big G) and that people are reluctant to use Windows 10 because of the comparatively small amount of data collection it does do, while Google's Android and Chrome enjoy widespread adoption and use besides the fact that those products are primarily spyware, is ludicrous.

You can't compare spying from different technologies.

What do you consider small? I consider even one thing as major. Invasion of privacy only takes one incident. Cell phone apps are the problem with technology that now everyone thinks they can take everything from you. Someone please explain to me why a flashlight app needs full access to download all of your contacts, calling list and texts, and full usage of your microphone? It's sad what the world has become. You don't seem to mind though. I do...

Windows XP usage went up as well, so you can't really extract any meaningful information from Windows 7 losing 3%...plus it doesn't tell you how these numbers were reached, did someone using W7 accidentally click the W10 upgrade icon?...did it come pre-installed?...did someone download it to try it out before reverting back?...Windows 10 is currently free to upgrade so theoretically the numbers should be much higher and older OS charts should not apply because Vista, 7, and 8 were never free

gaming numbers will be high only because of future DX12 support...in general W10 does not perform better then W7 from a purely gaming perspective

I've always said that these kinds of surveys at best only give a general sense of how things are going. Windows 7 is well off it's peak though so it's certainly not going strong, it's much more a matter what it was so strong for so long and so widely deployed that it's not going away quickly, just like XP.

You can't compare spying from different technologies.

What do you consider small? I consider even one thing as major. Invasion of privacy only takes one incident. Cell phone apps are the problem with technology that now everyone thinks they can take everything from you. Someone please explain to me why a flashlight app needs full access to download all of your contacts, calling list and texts, and full usage of your microphone? It's sad what the world has become. You don't seem to mind though. I do...

I'm saying the world doesn't seem to mind. Invasive profiling and spying didn't slow Android adoption. Keylogging and continuous telemetry don't stop people from using Chrome. People seem perfectly ok with tracking, Google is proof of that. Any tracking Windows 10 does is peanuts in comparison, and it is not a significant contributor or barrier to the adoption of the OS. The argument is a red herring at best.

I'm saying the world doesn't seem to mind. Invasive profiling and spying didn't slow Android adoption. Keylogging and continuous telemetry don't stop people from using Chrome. People seem perfectly ok with tracking, Google is proof of that. Any tracking Windows 10 does is peanuts in comparison, and it is not a significant contributor or barrier to the adoption of the OS. The argument is a red herring at best.

Exactly. There's no way in hell there'd be this many smartphones on the planet if the issue were as thought of as big of a deal by most as some make it out to be. The bottom line is that most of the info that some people spaz about is useless at an individual level. It only has value when its large dataset and then the personal aspects become less important or interesting. Of course if certain data is stolen or hacked or used in other ways, then it does become an issue for an individual. But information like this is available from any number of sources where not using Windows 10 or a smartphone wouldn't have mattered anyway.

This is far more complex issue which lots more nuance than gets talked about in cyberspace. It's become an "us vs them" issue. In a world ever even if you are all about maintaining you privacy, you still benefit from the leverage of personal data and advertising to fund things you use and don't pay for.

Now, I do not agree with you on this point at all. However, if that were true, then the public is rejecting the Linux Desktop OS in much more intense a manor. :rolleyes::p;)

Now, I do not agree with you on this point at all. However, if that were true, then the public is rejecting the Linux Desktop OS in much more intense a manor. :rolleyes::p;)

Free is only a part of it. Important but not the most important part as mass distribution of Windows has been for some time because of upgrades. On this forum we talk about upgrades and installs but forget to keep in mind that's not how most of Windows gets out there.

However, it does seem that free is helping Windows 10 with on PC crowd, gamers. The January Steam survey is out and shows Windows 7 x64 at 34.31% and Windows 10 x64 right on it's heels at 32.77%: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey. It's actually the slowest growth Windows 10 has shown in this survey which is interesting as that's the kind of the opposite of what the NetMarketShare survey is showing for January. Windows 7 x64 dipped about .5% and Windows 10 x64 jumped 1.52%. Still a 2 point swing in 10's favor and that's hardly a sign of Windows 7 still going strong. So it's looking like this will be the month that Windows 10 x64 takes the Steam crown from Windows 7 x64. There's a considerable showing of Windows 7 x86 machines at 7.77% versus only 1.28% for Windows 10 x86, but these are probably older machines that don't get much high end gaming done on them and will probably be on 7 till they crap out.

Most people never install or upgrade windows. They get the new version when they buy a new PC.

Taking that into account, the adoption is pretty damn impressive.

The usual suspects in this thread, one of them has already posted to it 7 times. :rolleyes:

The usual suspects in this thread, one of them has already posted to it 7 times. :rolleyes:

I'm using Windows 10 on a dozen machines. It does make sense for people that actually use it to have more to say than those that don't. But no one here is telling anyone else that should use Windows 10.

I'll go to linux before I go to 10 for anything other than a pure gaming machine.

On that note, I hope directx12 doesn't get widely adopted and mantle (or whatever it's called now) becomes the new standard.

I've been asked to remove it from 4 machines and told two other people how to go back to windows 7. I've installed it on one 8.1 computer for someone. I'm sure they are counting the trial versions we've downloaded as conversions. I installed it and imaged it on my two laptops before returning to windows 7. It seems to work OK for the most part. I don't handle change well.

I'm sure they are counting the trial versions we've downloaded as conversions.

The reason why so much attention is paid to surveys like this is because they track actual usage over time, not licensees sold or downloads.

I see your point, but I can choose not to download an Android app. The operating system is fine.

Windows 10 is the operating system. Basically you can't even boot your computer without your privacy going out the window. If it were just the software I can load onto it, I can avoid them. I basically don't have a choice if it's the operating system... And M$ is cramming the issue down our throats by spamming notification screens and forcing it. Downloading 4GB of Windows 10 install files even though we (I) don't want it. Maybe the ISPs are passing a cut of the bandwidth cap fees by Microsoft downloading huge payloads in the background without asking us. Most likely not, but I could see it happening in the kind of world we live in nowadays. ;)

I'll go to linux before I go to 10 for anything other than a pure gaming machine.

On that note, I hope directx12 doesn't get widely adopted and mantle (or whatever it's called now) becomes the new standard.

I did put linux (Mint) on my laptop after trying 10 for a few months. I definitely like linux better than 10 for my everyday computing (programming, browsing, email, etc). I will however put Win 10 on my main machine for gaming and for photoshop (will dual boot with linux). If Steam can keep adding games to their linux stable it may only be photoshop that will keep me in Windows.

Because most businesses (at least, the smart ones) are still on 7.

Doesn't mean Windows 10 is an "epic fail"...quite the contrary I would say.

Because most businesses (at least, the smart ones) are still on 7.

Doesn't mean Windows 10 is an "epic fail"...quite the contrary I would say.

Business adoption is the key to the success of a Windows version of Windows. All that have generally been considered failures never gained a significant footprint in business and that'll be the same with Windows 10 and the free upgrade doesn't have significant impact in this case.

Business adoption is the key to the success of a Windows version of Windows. All that have generally been considered failures never gained a significant footprint in business and that'll be the same with Windows 10 and the free upgrade doesn't have significant impact in this case.

As far as I've heard, Windows 10 will not be a free upgrade for businesses. All Microshaft has to do is tell them no more security updates and scare businesses into upgrading. With support supposedly ending in 2020 I can see companies being forced into it. And thus, by default, they win their "billion" devices shoehorn.

I see a lot of bandwidth caps popping with M$'s new announcement that Windows 10 will automatically download in a background security update.

I see a lot of bandwidth caps popping with M$'s new announcement that Windows 10 will automatically download in a background security update.

And I will quote myself... So much for a "free upgrade" when paying for bandwidth cap penalties. Hehe. I lot count how many times Windows 10 has been downloaded to my computer after I delete it again. I finally decided to shut off all permissions to the folder.

Back