Windows 10 Mobile Needs to Be Put out of Its Misery

Speaking from my own experience.... the smartphone market is dominated by iOS and Android OS. Once you bought into a particular mobile ecosystem, you tend to stick with it. As an example, when I graduated in December, 2010 with my degree, my birthday present to myself was a Motorola Droid X smartphone. Why? At the time, the iPhone was a AT&T exclusive, and I was with Verizon. I also do not like AT&T Mobile. Android has certainly improved greatly since the Android 2.1 (Eclair)/Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) days, and when I pick up a iPhone at work for testing, I feel like I'm very much hobbled. Maybe it's because of the UI design differences, maybe because it's how Apple likes to hobble it's apps in it's closed ecosystem verses Androids open (if somewhat wild west) ecosystem.

Anyone remember Research In Motion/Blackberry? They were the king of the mobile market, even nicknamed with the term "Crackberry", but neither the phones nor the apps were designed for casual users in mind. When they did adapt, it was too late. And the market moved on.

In comparison, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone/WIndows whatever was very very late to the phone market. By then, people made their choice, and Windows mobile was a loser.

I need a smartphone for 3 things – calls, internet and movies.

What? You don't use your phone for taking pictures or calendar? :) I was never any good with paper organizers, but my life revolves around my Google Calendar. I also use the Authy 2-Factor Authentication application which is not available on Windows Mobile. Want the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator? Not available on Windows Mobile.

Speaking from my own experience.... the smartphone market is dominated by iOS and Android OS. Once you bought into a particular mobile ecosystem, you tend to stick with it. As an example, when I graduated in December, 2010 with my degree, my birthday present to myself was a Motorola Droid X smartphone. Why? At the time, the iPhone was a AT&T exclusive, and I was with Verizon. I also do not like AT&T Mobile. Android has certainly improved greatly since the Android 2.1 (Eclair)/Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) days, and when I pick up a iPhone at work for testing, I feel like I'm very much hobbled. Maybe it's because of the UI design differences, maybe because it's how Apple likes to hobble it's apps in it's closed ecosystem verses Androids open (if somewhat wild west) ecosystem.

Anyone remember Research In Motion/Blackberry? They were the king of the mobile market, even nicknamed with the term "Crackberry", but neither the phones nor the apps were designed for casual users in mind. When they did adapt, it was too late. And the market moved on.

In comparison, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone/WIndows whatever was very very late to the phone market. By then, people made their choice, and Windows mobile was a loser.

What? You don't use your phone for taking pictures or calendar? :) I was never any good with paper organizers, but my life revolves around my Google Calendar. I also use the Authy 2-Factor Authentication application which is not available on Windows Mobile. Want the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator? Not available on Windows Mobile.

Windows mobile was not late to the market, just like blackberry their problem was they were too early. There was a time when windows mobile was the most popular smart phone OS in the USA, and commanded over 40% of the smart phone market which is a larger market share than apple has ever had. But sometimes being early to the market is a bad thing, both MS and apple have felt that pain many times. WM and BB were built with resistive touch screens in mind and small displays. Functions were more important in those days than a smooth interface. The irony of it all is that I think had MS just stuck with improving windows mobile they might actually be in better shape then they are now. WP was an absolute disaster, because they screwed it up in the exact ways that WM users complained about iphones, alienating their own user base. MS also did not see the importance of making it happen at the time and spending the money to force their way into the market. Maybe the anti competitive lawsuits were too fresh in their minds.

Yes, seriously. :) One does not justify the other but hey, all your data belongs to Google anyways, enjoy.

If I had the choice of which of the two had my data it really isn't a contest as to who I am more likely to trust. Having said that there are plenty of ways to secure a phone running android well at least one that isn't all locked down. The same will never ever be true for the MS product.

In any event Win 8 and Win 10 mobile aren't the reason MS failed in the mobile market. They failed because Win 8 was about the 6th attempt at Windows mobile. None of the early adopters where jumping on board for Win 8 or 10 phones... cause we all remember the complete pieces of crap MS sold us years ago. Apple and google didn't beat MS to the smart phone market... they simply got behind their products and put out something that didn't completely suck on day one then stood behind it and improved it. Rather then throwing the baby out with the bath water every 2 years making it impossible for third parties to support them even if they where inclined.

MS can't be trusted to create a mobile ecosystem as they have had multiple kicks at it and ditched the attempt at the first sign of resistance every time.

Last edited:
Speaking from my own experience.... the smartphone market is dominated by iOS and Android OS. Once you bought into a particular mobileWhat? You don't use your phone for taking pictures or calendar? :) I was never any good with paper organizers, but my life revolves around my Google Calendar. I also use the Authy 2-Factor Authentication application which is not available on Windows Mobile. Want the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator? Not available on Windows Mobile.
I can think of quite a few authenticators for Windows: Microsoft Authenticator, LastPass Authenticator, etc.

As for Blizzard Mobile Authenticator, it exists, but with a different name, for some reason: Battle.net Authenticator. In fact, it's the first entry if you search for "authenticator", whether you're on phone or pc store.

I believe Windows 10 mobile to be the most secure of all mobile OS's

Windows mobile was not late to the market, just like blackberry their problem was they were too early. There was a time when windows mobile was the most popular smart phone OS in the USA, and commanded over 40% of the smart phone market which is a larger market share than apple has ever had. But sometimes being early to the market is a bad thing, both MS and apple have felt that pain many times. WM and BB were built with resistive touch screens in mind and small displays. Functions were more important in those days than a smooth interface. The irony of it all is that I think had MS just stuck with improving windows mobile they might actually be in better shape then they are now. WP was an absolute disaster, because they screwed it up in the exact ways that WM users complained about iphones, alienating their own user base. MS also did not see the importance of making it happen at the time and spending the money to force their way into the market. Maybe the anti competitive lawsuits were too fresh in their minds.
Windows Mobile 6 was bleeding marketshare and customers were actively fleeing it, even without real alternatives at the time.

I really do not know what Microsoft could have done to save the old Windows Mobile line. The HW was not there, the vision just was not there, and as fun as my old PDAs and WM Smartphones were, I can easily understand why anyone at that time would want to abandon ship.

I still use Lumia 950 with Windows 10 Mobile and it's great. Much better then Android or iPhone UIs. But missing apps is killing it so I probably switching to Android soon :(

Yeah, switched to Moto Z Android finally. App wise it is great! UI wise I hate it so I installed "10 Launcher" that mimics Metro UI on Android very well and cannot be more happy of this Metro UI on Android phone :)

Yeah, switched to Moto Z Android finally. App wise it is great! UI wise I hate it so I installed "10 Launcher" that mimics Metro UI on Android very well and cannot be more happy of this Metro UI on Android phone :)

Didn't know this existed, will be sure to install this whenever the time comes when my parents Lumia 635 and 532 bites the dust and likely being forced to go Android. They are the worst kind of computer illiterate bunch, I believe my mom finally managed to send some pics as SMS on her own after maybe 3 years without asking me? On Android she'd likely never learn because the whole GUI looks so complicated for her and on Lumia I can just add like a couple big tiles on the homescreen that spans over the whole screen horizontally basically (TBH, I think Android is poorly designed, especially settings and alternatives are just way too unorganized and too random)

That's some really great news for me, thanks.

Last edited:
You are probably the only person that actually prefers the ugly fisher price metro UI since it was flatly rejected by consumers, but regardless, isn't it nice to actually have the option to customize things like the launcher, completely tweak the theme or even the whole OS. On windows phone you couldn't.

Android succeeds at being the windows of mobile, while Microsoft chased delusions of iPhone grandeur with windows mobile and locked everything down.

Last edited:
You are probably the only person that actually prefers the ugly fisher price metro UI, but regardless, isn't it nice to actually have the option to customize things like the launcher, completely tweak the theme or even the whole OS. On windows phone you couldn't.

Android succeeds at being the windows of mobile, while Microsoft chased delusions of iPhone grandeur with windows mobile and locked everything down.

Not really dude. The only thing the customization options do is make everything spread out and not intuitive. I could not care less about the 101 launchers available, I just want to use the phone and see the information I need to see, which Android does far less capable than Windows Mobile ever did.

Not really dude. The only thing the customization options do is make everything spread out and not intuitive. I could not care less about the 101 launchers available, I just want to use the phone and see the information I need to see, which Android does far less capable than Windows Mobile ever did.

Subjective, ultimately irreevant since it's not only about you and your personal hierarchy of needs. How many launchers exist is also irrelevant.

The choice and customizability is there in Android - doesn't have to be done but its there. In Windows Mobile, it wasn't - as Microsoft took much of what was good about windows and threw it away in pursuit of locked down iPhone dreams and ugly tiles that turned consumers off. The short-sightedness speaks for itself, as this thread now exists after years of Wmobile clingers refusing to admit it was dead.

Android is now the windows of mobile, no two ways about it.

Last edited:
Subjective, ultimately irreevant since it's not only about you and your personal hierarchy of needs. How many launchers exist is also irrelevant. Point is the choice is there in Android. In Windows Mobile, it wasn't - as Microsoft took everything that was good about windows and threw it away in pursuit of locked down iPhone dreams. Android is now the windows of mobile, no two ways about it.

Not subjective at all but completely objective. Settings are spread out all over the place and hidden, icons display very little if any information and things are just not intuitive. That is a fact born out by many folks but, sometimes, you just have to use what you just have to use. Heck, the only reason I switched is because I had no choice, none of my hardware worked with Windows Mobile anymore and apps were steadily disappearing.

Edit: Oh, and prior to Windows Mobile 7, you could customize you screen any way you wanted on Windows Mobile. That did not turn out so well though.

Back