Windows 10 Lag and Stutter on Startup

babelmh13

Limp Gawd
Preface: I'm sadly reaching an age where I have less desire to fix this stuff on my own for hours to prove that I don't need help :(

For the last month, when I boot up my pc (I have the latest version on Windows 10), windows will startup, but when I move my mouse it will freeze every few seconds, for a few seconds up to maybe 10. If I actually get it hovered over a program to open, it takes a while to actually register a click.

Further, if I am able to get a program open (Discord for example) itll take me a minute or two to get to a peraons name, and place a call and when I do, the call will lag as well. Similar results from other programs, so it os not a mouse related issue.

I have this issue probably 7/10 times I boot up which is typically around 6pm each day. If I hard power off my computer and turn it back on, this fixes the problem every time.

I do not have Fast Boot turned on, or hibernate. I checked my startup programs, nothing unusual. I do see some CPU spikes while this is going on. Nothing jumps out at me on the Event Viewer.

Any thoughts gentleman?

Thanks

Preface: I'm sadly reaching an age where I have less desire to fix this stuff on my own for hours to prove that I don't need help :(

For the last month, when I boot up my pc (I have the latest version on Windows 10), windows will startup, but when I move my mouse it will freeze every few seconds, for a few seconds up to maybe 10. If I actually get it hovered over a program to open, it takes a while to actually register a click.

Further, if I am able to get a program open (Discord for example) itll take me a minute or two to get to a peraons name, and place a call and when I do, the call will lag as well. Similar results from other programs, so it os not a mouse related issue.

I have this issue probably 7/10 times I boot up which is typically around 6pm each day. If I hard power off my computer and turn it back on, this fixes the problem every time.

I do not have Fast Boot turned on, or hibernate. I checked my startup programs, nothing unusual. I do see some CPU spikes while this is going on. Nothing jumps out at me on the Event Viewer.

Any thoughts gentleman?

Thanks
Any suspicion it might be hard drive related? Also just do a general check to make sure all temperatures are in the normal range.

Any suspicion it might be hard drive related? Also just do a general check to make sure all temperatures are in the normal range.
Didnt have any suspicion of a drive, though it could be I suppose. My OS is on a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD gen 4 installed about 8 months ago. Though I have 2 HDDs and 1 M4 Crucial SSD that is 12 years old. I pulled that out yesterday and will see if there are any differences.

After you mentioned the drives, I did notice that Ill be playing a game for a couple hours, and when I close the game out, one of the drives sounds as it may be firing up. Maybe the recent windows update change my drive sleep settings, so I will check that too.

Didnt have any suspicion of a drive, though it could be I suppose. My OS is on a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD gen 4 installed about 8 months ago. Though I have 2 HDDs and 1 M4 Crucial SSD that is 12 years old. I pulled that out yesterday and will see if there are any differences.

After you mentioned the drives, I did notice that Ill be playing a game for a couple hours, and when I close the game out, one of the drives sounds as it may be firing up. Maybe the recent windows update change my drive sleep settings, so I will check that too.
You might try disconnecting all but your OS drive and see if it stops the lag.

You might try disconnecting all but your OS drive and see if it stops the lag.
Update: today turned on my pc, it booted up and about 2 minutes later I got the blue screen saying "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart." The stop code was "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I forgot to mention that I have gotten this a few times over the last month as well. Only within 3-5 minutes of boot. Only happens first boot of the day.

The only thing I can think of that possibly could have caused this, is I put a program directly into the windows startup folder hoping i could get it to open on startup correctly. I couldnt, and deleted it out of the folder after about a week. Perhaps that could be causing the error somehow?

The only thing I can think of that possibly could have caused this, is I put a program directly into the windows startup folder hoping i could get it to open on startup correctly. I couldnt, and deleted it out of the folder after about a week. Perhaps that could be causing the error somehow?
Unlikely. From reading up on that particular error it seems like it's most commonly a driver issue. Might need to run DDU and check other drivers as well.

Hi babelmh13,

Have you checked your system files with SFC (sfc /scannow)?

sfc/scannow cleaned some stuff up but did not fix the issue..

I will try and run DDU next and report back

Back