Windows 10 freezes with new memory

yowen

Gawd
I bought 2x4GB of Corsair Vengeance 9-9-9-24 1600mhz DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9). It's got the tall blue heatsinks on it.

I already had Corsair memory at the same timings but at 1333mhz (CMX8GX3M2A1333C9). This one does not have a very big heatsink, just a cover around the memory.

First when I installed the memory the computer wouldn't even boot. So then the seller suggested I enable XMP profile in the bios, so I tried that, the computer would boot, but it freezes at the Windows 10 login screen.

Is the mismatch in 1333 and 16000mhz causing a problem? Is the 1600mhz memory just not compatible with my motherboard? I tried setting all memory to 1333mhz manually, it didn't make a difference. I also tried running the 1600mhz memory by itself and still am unable to boot.

The last thing I can think of trying is running the 1600mhz by itself with the XMP profile enabled. But even if that works, I'm still not able to run a total of 16GB.

try bumping the voltage a bit. my corsair lp needs 1.6v instead of 1.5v to be fully stable. so try adding ~.1v, don't worry it can handle it.

might be a bad kit. toss memtest 7.03 at it.

I think I'll just return it and try again with a different kit. I just found one that matches my existing memory, so hopefully my chances of success are high.

Make sure your XMP is using the settings for the DDR3 1333 RAM and not the DDR3 1600 RAM.

So amazingly, I can buy a Dell Optiplex for $200, it includes an i5 3550, a 2TB harddrive, Windows 10 aaaaand 16gb of DDR3. I'll tear out the DDR3/1600 memory, put it in my gaming machine and run the optiplex as an htpc with 8gb.

The darn memory by itself costs darn near a third of this whole computer.

I can even put the i5-3550 in my gaming computer, if I feel like updating the bios and reinstalling the pain in the ass to install Coolermaster CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Back