Windows 10 Fall Creators Update- October 17th

Yes, 3rd party A/V needs to be turned off, if possible. Yes, you may have to reinstall the A/V after the update. There have been various complaints, with earlier updates, Microsoft braking A/V and Non-Microsoft Browsers. So, if possible, back up your bookmarks/favorites and important files before allowing the update.

Yes, 3rd party A/V needs to be turned off, if possible. Yes, you may have to reinstall the A/V after the update. There have been various complaints, with earlier updates, Microsoft braking A/V and Non-Microsoft Browsers. So, if possible, back up your bookmarks/favorites and important files before allowing the update.

Most of the time (AVG), simply disabling the A/V isn't enough - It needs to be fully uninstalled. Third party A/V is reaching the point where it's doing more harm than good.

So the fall update did change something on my rig, and I'm wondering/hoping there is a quick fix. When I delete files it seems to take roughly 5 to 9 seconds to actually bring up the delete window showing the delete happening, which is painfully slow. Even moving through directories in explorer seems sluggish. I do not run any A/V besides the security essentials. I have a pretty base install on rig in sig. If I can't find a fix, I will try formatting with the new update to see if that resolves the issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else sees this as well? It is hard to explain, so I can post a video if needed.

I use the hostname for it, which is registered through my OpenWRT router.

Ok, don't use the hostname, use the IP address and see if you can pick it up.

I had a similar issue recently, upon using the IP address the device was picked up immediately. For some reason Windows 10 isn't seeing the names of certain shares.

Ok, don't use the hostname, use the IP address and see if you can pick it up.

I had a similar issue recently, upon using the IP address the device was picked up immediately. For some reason Windows 10 isn't seeing the names of certain shares.

I'll give it a try next time it happens

Start and Explorer malfunctioned :(

View attachment 40853

I have noticed that a lot of problems such as there are being caused by the Nvidia drivers. I even had a clean install on a newer Dell i7 with a 720GT Nvidia card do things like this. (Settings would not open, Edge would crash.) Once I downloaded and installed the 388 drivers, all the problems went away. :)

So the fall update did change something on my rig, and I'm wondering/hoping there is a quick fix. When I delete files it seems to take roughly 5 to 9 seconds to actually bring up the delete window showing the delete happening, which is painfully slow. Even moving through directories in explorer seems sluggish. I do not run any A/V besides the security essentials. I have a pretty base install on rig in sig. If I can't find a fix, I will try formatting with the new update to see if that resolves the issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else sees this as well? It is hard to explain, so I can post a video if needed.

I'm having the same issue. I installed a fresh copy of 1709 from scratch and its constantly locking up for several seconds. I can't access My Computer at all any more, it just sits there "analyzing" forever. I've had to make shortcuts on the desktop to each drive. What an absolute shitshow, you would think Microsoft would have learned from the last garbage update.

I'm having the same issue. I installed a fresh copy of 1709 from scratch and its constantly locking up for several seconds. I can't access My Computer at all any more, it just sits there "analyzing" forever. I've had to make shortcuts on the desktop to each drive. What an absolute shitshow, you would think Microsoft would have learned from the last garbage update.

Do you have an NVidia card? Have you tried installing the latest 388 drivers yet? Also, have you removed any third party antivirus and reinstalled it?

Do you have an NVidia card? Have you tried installing the latest 388 drivers yet? Also, have you removed any third party antivirus and reinstalled it?

Fresh. Clean. Install. Nothing is even on the system yet, not one single program. Nothing. Every driver is the absolute newest, including the 388 Nvidia drivers.

Edge doesn't work at all, it won't open any pages except blank ones so I have to use IE. IE won't play youtube videos, it plays for a few seconds and errors out. Windows 7 is looking better and better.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I deferred OS downgrade for about another 5 years to prevent problems like this and the worse experience.
Windows 7 let me do that (when MS arent sneaking malware onto it).

Fresh. Clean. Install. Nothing is even on the system yet, not one single program. Nothing. Every driver is the absolute newest, including the 388 Nvidia drivers.

Edge doesn't work at all, it won't open any pages except blank ones so I have to use IE. IE won't play youtube videos, it plays for a few seconds and errors out. Windows 7 is looking better and better.

Try doing DDU and the reinstalling the 388 drivers. I want to see if it would help.

So I wiped my system, still had the issue after fresh install. I installed the 388 drivers, and it seems to have resolved the issue. Slow deleting files and system navigation, fixed with new nVidia drivers. hmmm

I just did a fresh install on this older HP laptop this morning, upgrade didn't work. Seems that Windows 7 was borked on that laptop since it would say "Configuring Windows, Please Wait" nearly every time it was turned on or shut off.
I bought it for $50 a couple of days ago since it was ok and in excellent condition.

As I was surfing the net on my main rig waiting for the laptop to install Win10, I started hearing a woman's voice talking, turns out Cortana talks to you during the last part of the install., kinda freaked me out at first, lol.

22829380_1687214741297493_5422518163911189045_o.jpg

22859976_1687214744630826_164755047762824179_o.jpg

I just did a fresh install on this older HP laptop this morning, upgrade didn't work. Seems that Windows 7 was borked on that laptop since it would say "Configuring Windows, Please Wait" nearly every time it was turned on or shut off.
I bought it for $50 a couple of days ago since it was ok and in excellent condition.

As I was surfing the net on my main rig waiting for the laptop to install Win10, I started hearing a woman's voice talking, turns out Cortana talks to you during the last part of the install., kinda freaked me out at first, lol.

Yeah I ran up Windows 7 and it works fine, just like the last version of 10 did (1703?). This rig is decent, 4770k/16GB with a 1080 and 1TB SSD.

Also, that Aqua barbie girl. Am I in 1997 again?

Not sure if it's the Creators Update or an update to Netflix that rolled out at the same time, but Netflix HDR now works. You have to turn on that abortion known as desktop HDR first. When you load a Netflix show or movie that has HDR, it'll normalize the color in full-screen mode. It takes a few seconds to kick in, but it does work. I've tested it out vs. the PS4 and my TV's built-in app and the color scheme is 95% the same. Pure blacks aren't quite as clean, but it's close.

The set time zone automatically does not work for me. Never has worked. I took my laptop to the west coast and it wouldn't change time zones. Even my desktop that never moves will never have the correct time zone unless I set it right. The funny thing is right after I installed 10 it worked right, then out of no where my time was 3 hours off again.

Has anyone else had the time zone thing not work or figured out what causes it to stop working? If I toggle it off and back on the location services icon pops up but it doesn't set the correct timezone, just disappears.

The set time zone automatically does not work for me. Never has worked. I took my laptop to the west coast and it wouldn't change time zones. Even my desktop that never moves will never have the correct time zone unless I set it right. The funny thing is right after I installed 10 it worked right, then out of no where my time was 3 hours off again.

Has anyone else had the time zone thing not work or figured out what causes it to stop working? If I toggle it off and back on the location services icon pops up but it doesn't set the correct timezone, just disappears.

I build PC's, and I've experienced this on every PC I've built for about the last 12 months under Windows 10. I set the correct time zone and the time is never right! I never looked into the cause as I just manually configured everything, but you're not the only one experiencing the issue.

I build PC's, and I've experienced this on every PC I've built for about the last 12 months under Windows 10. I set the correct time zone and the time is never right! I never looked into the cause as I just manually configured everything, but you're not the only one experiencing the issue.
Do you by chance uninstall the Maps app? I always do. I read that if you remove the Maps app it stops working.

I reinstalled Maps, set my location, then toggled set time zone automatically and it worked.

Last edited:
Do you by chance uninstall the Maps app? I always do. I read that if you remove the Maps app it stops working.

I reinstalled Maps, set my location, then toggled set time zone automatically and it worked.

Nah mate, when I build computers for others everything is default.

Slow deletes are back again. I did a fresh install of Windows 10, updated to the fall creators update, installed the 388 drivers last night, problem goes away for a few hours. The problem is compounded by deleting more than one file at a time from windows explorer, so lets say I delete 3 files at one time, it can take up to 20 seconds. Very annoying.

I remember my old Intel Core Duo 2 would timeout while doing an upgrade due to the length of time that it took. I just remember having to change a setting to disable the timeout and it worked great. That thing came with Windows XP and is similar to this one on EBAY. Been a long time ago so Google is your friend. ;)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-LATIT...432551?hash=item5b3fdc65e7:g:jzgAAOSwK~RZ8Ut7

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, I forgot to mention, make sure your Power Options (energy saving settings) are set to "Never" turn off / sleep while updating... The system can go to "sleep" while updating, which can lead to the annoying "Boot Loop" crash.

I remember my old Intel Core Duo 2 would timeout while doing an upgrade due to the length of time that it took. I just remember having to change a setting to disable the timeout and it worked great. That thing came with Windows XP and is similar to this one on EBAY. Been a long time ago so Google is your friend. ;)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-LATIT...432551?hash=item5b3fdc65e7:g:jzgAAOSwK~RZ8Ut7

The "Configuring Windows" was happening when I got the laptop. It would do it nearly every time the machine was rebooted.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really, truly enjoy Windows 10 and Windows in general. (Of course, I also enjoy Linux and Mac OS and any other OS out there. :D ) It is one thing to see a bug here or there, which is too be expected. However, based upon my personal experience, the FCU is completely messed up. There are a crap ton of problems that even occur with a clean install and various hardware configurations. They really need to pull this update and fix this stuff.

(You know things are bad when I am legitimately complaining about actual problems.) I see problems even on my own personal machines with it.

I really, truly enjoy Windows 10 and Windows in general. (Of course, I also enjoy Linux and Mac OS and any other OS out there. :D ) It is one thing to see a bug here or there, which is too be expected. However, based upon my personal experience, the FCU is completely messed up. There are a crap ton of problems that even occur with a clean install and various hardware configurations. They really need to pull this update and fix this stuff.

(You know things are bad when I am legitimately complaining about actual problems.) I see problems even on my own personal machines with it.

I don't use my Windows PC much, but all things considered with it's limited use everything seems fine. What sort of issues are you experiencing?

Just a heads up: If you are doing a clean install of Windows 10 version 1709, install it without the ethernet cable connected. Once everything is setup, then connect it and everything should be fine. (No idea why and I do not think this should be needed but, at least there is a solution.)

So I was having serious issues with my system due to the Fall Creators Update.

Long story short my system was turning off in games during 3d accelerated scenes, before any 3d video was displayed. Menus without any rendering was fine, but as soon as 3d scenes came out, boom, straight off.

Turns out the culprit was the Fall Creators Update had been trying to install, but had failed 3 times. When I completed the update myself, boom, everything back to normal.

No event logs, no BSODs, no dumps, no nothing. Problem is, I can't even go back now and check out what the error it was running into was, installed update history and my event viewer entries re updates were cleared by the update it seems.

People with older Creative cards like the X Fi Titanium HD are having to buy new sound cards after this update because this update needs a newer driver and there isnt one.

People with older Creative cards like the X Fi Titanium HD are having to buy new sound cards after this update because this update needs a newer driver and there isnt one.

That's on Creative. Microsoft doesn't make drivers for hardware, it's up to the hardware vendor to do that. It's also the same reason you will never see a piece of Creative hardware in my machine or on my desk. Been that way since Windows 7 when they pulled the same shit with the Audigy line. You could walk into a hardware store and buy a card that didn't have drivers. Asus did the same thing with some of their Xonar sound cards.

So far the update has been fine other than that one graphical glitch with the taskbar and pop-up lists from the icons on the quickstart menu. Reboot cleared up the issue.

That's on Creative. Microsoft doesn't make drivers for hardware, it's up to the hardware vendor to do that. It's also the same reason you will never see a piece of Creative hardware in my machine or on my desk. Been that way since Windows 7 when they pulled the same shit with the Audigy line. You could walk into a hardware store and buy a card that didn't have drivers. Asus did the same thing with some of their Xonar sound cards.
Its down to lack of legacy driver support for perfectly good hardware that was working fine before the update.
It doesnt need a new driver unless Microsoft screw us over.

Its down to lack of legacy driver support for perfectly good hardware that was working fine before the update.
It doesnt need a new driver unless Microsoft screw us over.

It's Microsoft and the mafia messing with the DRM in combination which causes the problems.

Microsoft was supposed to allow updating of Edge through the Store starting as soon as the spring Creator's Update. So far this was never implemented, even with the latest version. Has anyone seen an update on it?

It's Microsoft and the mafia messing with the DRM in combination which causes the problems.

"Protected Audio Path"....

The same card would most likely work fine under every other OS. I agree with Nenu, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - Problem solved.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
After the earlier Creators Update made my life hell for a few months, I've actually had no issues with this update. At least nothing I couldn't Google a solution for in about 30 seconds.
I'm probably jinxing myself, but my PC is in a good place right now.

Back