Windows 10 Downloads Bend, But Don't Break, The Internet

Zarathustra[H];1041762917 said:
True, but then I don't get the latest api's and other useful features.

It just seems like they are - more than usual - trying to shine an entire ecosystem down our throats, when what I really want is just a standalone, local operating system, with no cloud or any other services, that I can build my own system on top of, program by program.

I want Spotify, Google Chrome, Crasplan and Steam, not Groove Music, Edge, One Drive and Xbox for Windows/Microsoft store.

I miss the old days when an OS was just an OS, not an entire ecosystem.

At the very least let us uninstall what we don't want.

Didn't they learn anything from the EU browser lawsuit?

You can Choose which apps run in the background.
Settings - Privacy - Backgound Apps.

Windows 10 is working great on all my systems so far. :) I may have to do a reset on my Stream 7 since it seems to run a little slower but otherwise, everything went fine and I am very happy. The only "problem" I have is I may never get around to trying all the new features that are available but, that is a nice problem to have.

Seems to me as well that some folks are having problems with specific programs after the upgrade. Usually, a remove and reinstall of the offending app will take care of that, no problem.

I would believe they're using the cloud thus "windows as a service" which means we will pay for it eventually. I don't believe Microsoft would hand out windows 10 for free without some kind of catch.

Very few people buy Windows at retail anymore (It is a far cry from the times when people camped out the stores at midnight to get a copy of Windows 95). The vast majority of users use whatever Windows came with their computer and the only time they get a new version of Windows when they get a new computer.

Anywhere from 65-80% of total Windows revenue comes from OEM licenses (the licenses that are sold with new computers) with the vast majority of the rest coming from volume licensing and support contracts for businesses. Retail and upgrade sales of Windows make up a minuscule percentage of overall revenue and, as such, Microsoft isn't really loosing much money by giving the upgrade away for free. In addition, having a whole bunch of people on Windows 10 means that you now have a huge install base to develop apps for and since Windows 10 apps are universal and can run on Windows Phone, that means more Windows Phone apps (which Microsoft desperately needs).

I would believe they're using the cloud thus "windows as a service" which means we will pay for it eventually. I don't believe Microsoft would hand out windows 10 for free without some kind of catch.

Apple did.... and there still is not a catch.

I'm going the clean install of 7 and then upgrading over the top then clean install of 10.

You can actually just do the upgrade, then do a clean install of w10 with the ISO you created. Probably a faster process, same result.

You can actually just do the upgrade, then do a clean install of w10 with the ISO you created. Probably a faster process, same result.

Well I tried the clean install with 7 installed first of all and that (as many others have found) doesnt work. So I had to do a clean install of 7 then slapped a 'burn the previous OS' upgrade install and that went on fine.

No real need to do a clean install with that kind of upgrade.

However, as it appears we all have the same license key the whole thing is a bit of a farce.:rolleyes:

If you get an error on upgrading (error 80240020), try this: http://www.mstechpages.com/2015/07/fix-error-80240020-when-updating-to-windows-10/

It seems to work for a lot of people.

If you haven't gotten the upgrade notice yet and want to upgrade, download the tool linked above and select your version and then upgrade. Not required to make media, it can do the in-place upgrade as well.

Tried that didn't work for me not sure what to do next other than forget about Win 10, laptop won't update either both Win 7

You can Choose which apps run in the background.
Settings - Privacy - Backgound Apps.

Ahh, good to know! Will have to try that when I get home.

I find that my level of annoyance subsides as I learn more.

Microsoft is clearly using Windows 10 as the big push to get people onto the Microsoft cloud ecosystem, so options to disable many of these things are hidden behind advanced tabs, and in places you may not have thought to look, presumably so that most people just leave them on, and over time get sucked into the ecosphere, just like, unless you are looking for the option, you'd never know you can set up a "local" user account. The default is a ms cloud nonsense account.

I finally was able to get rid of the "popular" web results in the search bar, by turning off web searches in Cortana.

Cortana and OneDrive keep popping up like some sort of nagware though, "reminding" me to sign up for backups (OneDrive) and sharing of various information to improve Cortana, which I keep declining. Hopefully they will go away.

My needs are a little different than other peoples though. I use Windows for games, and only for games. Everything else I do in Linux.

So when I boot up, I don't want an email client, weather animations, etc. etc. I want it 100% completely barebones with only the programs I have installed, which tend to be Steam, some Steam games, Unigine Heaven, MSI Afterburner, Corsair LINK, HW Monitor, CPUZ, GPUZ, Prime95 and Team Speak 3, Avira Free, as well as Google Chrome, just in case I have to go on the web while booted in Windows.

If windows is your complete full time OS, all the extra stuff might be more useful, but all I am looking for is a single purpose disposable install. I don't need backups, restore points, or any cloud integration of any kind. I will never use them, and the fact that they are there is nothing but an annoyance to me.

As far as the install goes, it wasn't painless, but it wasnt bad either.

Windows 10 has included drivers for most things. The two most annoying ones (GPU, because you have to work in low resolution and in my case at a 90 degree angle, and network because you can't download without them) were what I needed.

I rebooted into Linux, mounted up the Windows partition and downloaded and saved the drivers to my desktop, then booted abck and installed them.

The only reason I needed the ethernet drivers was because I use the advanced Intel ethernet drivers to "Team" my two on board Ethernet adapters using LACP so I can max out one transferring files to my NAS, while still having bandwidth on the other for everything else. The drivers included with Windows don't support teaming, and in order to run without teaming, I'd ahve to go down to the basement and eityher move the cable from a teamed port to a non teamed port, or disable my team (or trunk as HP prefers to call it) on my switch.

It was easier to reboot, download to the partition and reboot again than doing that.

GPU drivers worked once downloaded as well.

The included driver for my Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD works well, but it is very basic, without any of the extra options in the creative drivers. Creative's web page says Win10 drivers will be out in "October 2015". Well, at least I have sound for now. If I didn't, I'd be rolling back :p

The only issue I had due to the upgrade was that my ethernet interfaces changed names with the new drivers, but Windows still seems to remember them from my previous windows install. When I went in to set up my static IP (I already ahve all my port forwards and stuff like that set up, so I don't want it dyynamic, or to change it) it remembered that I had used this IP on another interface, and complained that I was setting the same IP. I clicked the ignore button, and it has worked thus far, but every time I go into network settings, it complains about the duplicate IP entry. I'd remove it from the old name of the interface, but it is not visible in my network devices, so I can't.

I might still do a clean install to fix this registry issue, and just to be on the safe side, not sure yet. Overall I was very impressed with how well the upgrade process worked. I'm used to OS upgrades never being a good idea, and always to wipe and start over. The Win 10 upgrade didn't even overwrite my MBR. I was totally ready to boot from a Linux USB stick and reinstall and set up grub, but I didn't need to!

The first several hours were a nightmare for me after updating. I did run a couple of the technical preview builds when they came out, but was met with BSODs each time. I reverted back to my Win 7 installation, and everything was fine.

Decided to upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday, and I had the BSODs in the back of my mind, but was thinking that perhaps issues were hammered out. Boy, was I wrong. Kept getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD, and had to ask around on a few forums as to what the issue could be. None of the MSFT reps on those forums have replied so far.

I thought it was a chipset driver issue initially, as I had installed a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU. I didn't do clean install after having put those components in, so the previous chipset drivers were still on the drive. I decided to delete those, and do a clean Win 10 install, and everything seemed to work fine for an hour or two before the BSODs struck again.

I phoned a Microsoft rep, and got no help from them. I was told that debug symbols for Win 10 had yet to be released, so I'd have to wait a day or two perhaps. I decided to go on the MSDN site to see if the symbols had been released, and indeed they had been. Decided to use WinDBG to read the dump file that had been created for the BSODs, and it pointed towards an AMD driver as being the culprit.

Now here's where the automatic Windows Updates can get really frigging annoying. I decided to wipe the PC of any AMD drivers so that I could install the new Win 10 drivers, but within 30 seconds of me deleting the old drivers, Windows Update would reinstall them automatically. To someone who may not be aware of automatic updates, this could be infuriating. Luckily, I have Win 10 Pro, which means I could defer updates in the Settings menu. I selected that option, and proceeded to delete the old drivers, and install the new ones.

It's been about an hour since I did that. There have been no BSODs - yet. I'm hoping everything is A-OK.

KB3079904 has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows 10.

Again, you seem to be Assuming what the True Purpose of what (KB3079904) was put on Our Systems for!

You can plainly see that King MS tried, and fortunately Failed, to install Windows 10 Pro Three Times, in a 17 Minute Period of Time, on My PC!

You Can Also see that (KB3079904) was installed on both my Systems a Little Earlier as Well!

If (KB3079904) had nothing to do with King MS' Sneaky, Backdoor, Attempt to Steal my Legally "Bought-and-Paid-For" Three copies of Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit) Software, Then What Did?

As Soon as I Removed (KB3079904) From My Systems, the Windows 10 Pro Installation Attempts Ceased TOO!

However, King MS immediately Tried to Re-Install (KB3079904) on Both Our Systems, even before I Could Shut Them Down!

As the Installation of (KB3079904) Were Not Un-Announced, Like the Windows 10 Pro Attempts Were, I Simply "Hid Them", so I Hope to Be Some What Safe, at Least Until King MS Comes Up With Their Next Underhanded, Sneaky, Backdoor, Windows 10 Installation Ploy!

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 21:45 Installation status: Failed

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 21:31 Installation status: Failed

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 21:28 Installation status: Failed

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3079904) Installation date: ‎7/‎20/‎2015 19:55 Installation status: Successful

Purpose: A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

It's breaking windows update so I can't even get virus signature updates.

Again, you seem to be Assuming what the True Purpose of what (KB3079904) was put on Our Systems for!

You can plainly see that King MS tried, and fortunately Failed, to install Windows 10 Pro Three Times, in a 17 Minute Period of Time, on My PC!

Windows 10 updates are marked as failed because at some point, you reserved a spot in queue, and you ran Windows Update before your turn to update came up. Thus, the attempt to install failed, because WU told you to get back to your spot in line.

This will happen every time you run Windows Update, because Windows 10 pushes out through Windows Update.

And stop capitalizing every other word. That isn't how the English language works.

Back