Windows 10 Creators Update

The Bible is never wrong. Pro tip.

The Word of GOD is never wrong but, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you want to attack me personally, feel free to PM me, I can take it. However, leave it out of the threads, thanks.

anyone know how long Windows 10 allows you to use older GPU drivers before auto-updating?...

anyone know how long Windows 10 allows you to use older GPU drivers before auto-updating?...

If you boot into safemode and run Display Driver uninstaller from there, it will disable the driver updates permanently. (That is what I do.) However, you will not want to wait to long before manually updating because the latest updates has WDDM 2.2, I believe.

If you boot into safemode and run Display Driver uninstaller from there, it will disable the driver updates permanently. (That is what I do.) However, you will not want to wait to long before manually updating because the latest updates has WDDM 2.2, I believe.

that program disables driver updates in Windows 10?...are you 100% sure?...looks like a regular driver removal program

that program disables driver updates in Windows 10?...are you 100% sure?...looks like a regular driver removal program

Do the video driver removal part and during the process, it disables the windows driver updates, works every time. :)

if you run it and look on the right side it says it disables driver updates when it does the removal.

do I need to run that Display Driver uninstaller every time to keep updates disabled or will running it once do the job permanently?...meaning can I use the DDU once and then every other time I want to update my drivers just do it the regular way from within Windows

Does anyone here run Win 10 Enterprise?

AFAIK, Creator's Update hasn't been rolled out yet (I still haven't gotten it), any idea when/where?

Does anyone here run Win 10 Enterprise?

AFAIK, Creator's Update hasn't been rolled out yet (I still haven't gotten it), any idea when/where?

I think it is "install on your own" status right now. It isn't being pushed out through regular updates.

I think it is "install on your own" status right now. It isn't being pushed out through regular updates.

I installed win10 home this weekend and it installed the creators update as an update after windows was installed and up.. Maybe it did that due to the fresh install.

I installed win10 home this weekend and it installed the creators update as an update after windows was installed and up.. Maybe it did that due to the fresh install.

I noticed that today. I had to do a reinstall of Windows 10 on a machine and it actually asked me during the install if I wanted to install 1703. It wasn't required (I skipped it) and it left the update tool on the desktop.

Actually Home and Pro has access to CU, Enterprise still hasn't, according to the microsoft website, and it's already pushing two months into CU release.

I was just wondering if the CU has yet to be released for Win 10 Enterprise, or if the CU is being distributed on channels I am not aware of. At least CU loaded win 10 Home and Pro ISOs are available from MS already.

I'd really like to know where people are getting Enterprise from, and don't give us the line that you got it via work channels.... ;)

I'd really like to know where people are getting Enterprise from, and don't give us the line that you got it via work channels.... ;)

Actually work is exactly how I got it through MSDN, that's how developers get licenses for tools.

I was just wondering if the CU has yet to be released for Win 10 Enterprise, or if the CU is being distributed on channels I am not aware of. At least CU loaded win 10 Home and Pro ISOs are available from MS already.

I think switched over to the Insider program when it clear that the Insider CU build was at the RTM and switched back over, I honestly don't remember exactly what I did but I went to an insider build before the official release.

I noticed that today. I had to do a reinstall of Windows 10 on a machine and it actually asked me during the install if I wanted to install 1703. It wasn't required (I skipped it) and it left the update tool on the desktop.

This was a fresh install on a z270 with an i7700k and the update did a quick check for what looked like cpu and motherboard and something else.. it flew by so I barely saw it so for a moment I thought maybe it was a kaby lake thing but anyways.. edit: ah I guess it was a cpu check.

Last edited:
My license is from a direct family member who works at an university, and his rank is high enough to grant him access to all of the software that the university have licensed, which includes Enterprise OS's, they have licensed them since win 7.

Problem with Enterprise is that I need to connect to the official licensing server every 180 days or else it starts throwing fits, and the server is on a secure network. This is not a problem in itself (I can connect remotely if I wanted to), but the fact I need to do it manually. If the computer was connected directly into their network the license would keep getting renewed.

I am thinking of getting a Win 10 pro license for my HTPC though, since the family member won't be working there forever, I want to test out a 'civilian' version and get used to it before I start moving off Enterprise.

So in other words, again, people are using Windows 10 Enterprise and they're not legitimately allowed to do so, got it. Nice to see not much ever changes and that folks are willing to publicly (or as public as this and other forums might happen to be) admit such things willingly. :D

The family member knows this very well and he is completely authorised to use it as such. He heads a research group that uses a lot of computer equipment on and off campus. I in fact had to install the OS on HIS computer as well, and I am using the OS with his permission only.

and I am using the OS with his permission only
his permission doesn't mean shit when it comes to license agreements.
and I know too because my mom has worked in the local school board as a tech for almost 20 years. so yeah, that's still pirating, owe it.

The family member knows this very well and he is completely authorised to use it as such. He heads a research group that uses a lot of computer equipment on and off campus. I in fact had to install the OS on HIS computer as well, and I am using the OS with his permission only.

You're of course welcome to rationalize it however you like, but there is a simple fact: you're not legitimately using the OS since it's licensed for institutional use only, call Microsoft and ask. It wouldn't even matter if your family member worked for Microsoft itself and was tossing you licenses for everything under the Microsoft umbrella as far as software use is concerned, the license determines the usage and the license in that situation is not one that allows for personal use by anyone, period.

But good luck with that. ;)

OK, fine. If I am violating that license agreement, I am guilty as charged.

Will be reverting to a 'civilian' copy soon, wished his university actually enforced it properly, but they don't. I was only aware Enterprise versions being licenced in volume, wasn't aware it limited personal use.

You're free to do whatever you want, I'm not actually judging you if you think that's what's happening, I'm just pointing out that a very large majority of individuals that are using Windows 10 Enterprise (and the LTSB edition as well) are not doing so legitimately because Enterprise has some pretty specific licensing terms and again the large majority of the people doing this either don't care or more accurately are doing it on purpose aka pirating the OS for their own personal uses - we all know that the Enterprise editions offer a little more control over the telemetry and updates (but not absolute total control like some folks seem to think) and that's the reason so many of those folks pounced on it once they came to understand it was better in those respects than the consumer editions of Windows 10.

All I'm saying and some other folks would probably tend to agree with is if you're going to make use of Windows 10 Enterprise (whatever edition) it might be a good idea to understand the licensing terms - there's nothing stopping you or anyone else from running the Windows 10 Enterprise trial version for 180 days then reinstalling it again and again as required, even Microsoft will tell you that you can use it almost indefinitely (within reason) by doing that and they don't even care about that kind of usage at all and would consider it legitimate in some respects as crazy as that might sound.

But when people are using Windows 10 Enterprise in manners that go directly against the licensing terms, since you can't just go out and buy individual copies of that OS regardless of the edition because it's only sold under volume licensing agreements, that's when it's actually a problem, and for those that do such things and almost brag about it - take that however you want to take it - well, it doesn't come off well.

That's my opinion on it and nothing more, not a fact for anyone else to live by (aside from the actual licensing terms basis, that is) so, again, you're welcome to do whatever you want with it, just maybe pay a little more attention to what's going on - I know a lot of people that work in I.T. and have for decades and most of them just do that kind of stuff without a care in the world and I've seen more than a few lose their jobs for it because they just made assumptions about being able to do whatever they wanted.

CYA, that's the recommendation, doesn't matter who it is or what they say with respect to such things (except maybe me in this instance), but definitely cover your own ass before someone else's stupidity and carelessness costs you in ways you might not expect.

^ I am also guilty as charged for that too >.<;

Thanks.

Also, on that note, I take it that it is equally illegitimate to buy an OEM Win 10 key for personally built computers?

^ I am also guilty as charged for that too >.<;

Thanks.

Also, on that note, I take it that it is equally illegitimate to buy an OEM Win 10 key for personally built computers?
no there are rules about that too. it has to be purchased with a oem hdd/ssd or a mobo and its not transferable to other hardware. something like that, its been a while wince I used oem.

Technically, yes, that would not be considered legitimate - the way you can get around that, and as odd as this sounds it's true, you can buy a piece of hardware at the same time and Microsoft would consider that a legitimate purchase. Years ago when they had the System Builders licenses as long as you purchased a piece of hardware along with the software license of whatever product you were looking to buy they were good with that and considered it legit, so, buy some simplistic component, a case screw for all they care as long as it's a piece of hardware used to build a computer they'll consider it a legit thing. ;)

Looks like pendragon just beat me to the posting. :D

Non-transferrable licence isn't nearly as a big of an issue for me as the cost of an OEM licence greatly out price a proper boxed version, I have to actually install over 10 machines on individual OEM licenses before the costs go over a single boxed version (I am thinking something is dodgey, but I have no proof and the seller has sold many keys with none complaining they were fake).

At least as long as I can reinstall multiple times on the same machine I am fine. I recently acquired a FM2 ITX motherboard and I haven't gotten around to building the rig yet, currently literally just Mobo and APU.

There's practical ways this works. If you work in an environment with Enterprise licensing out the wazzo and have developers using MSDN for tooling, Microsoft isn't going to care what those folks do as long as they don't sell or redistribute anything or start running production servers. Once you start doing that, they'll care a great deal.

Well there's someone in the FS/FT subforum here that sells Windows 7 licenses pretty cheap, you can get some of those if needed, then use the accessibility upgrade for Windows 10 (which is still free and capable of being used but that's not going to last much longer) and lock in the retail Windows 10 license, that's one potential solution on non-OEM hardware - I wouldn't even touch OEM licenses anymore for any reason at all personally, especially considering how difficult it can be to do an activated re-installation if needed.

yup I did but then I questioned myself and googled. looks like ms has changed things around and they now say your supposed to sell the system with the oem key and its tied to the system its first installed on. started doing that with win7.

(I am thinking something is dodgey, but I have no proof and the seller has sold many keys with none complaining they were fake).
yeah that seems shaddy and youre not actually getting the legit sticker that should come with it. who knows where they came from too. those keys may work now but ms could deactivate them.

and heatlesssun is right, unless you are using it for business or production, ms prob isn't going to care.

this is also one of the reasons ive run insider previews since win 7. free os is good for me.

Actually, while I am here, what's the limitation on the box version's transferrable licence? Is it only 1 machine at a time?

Actually, while I am here, what's the limitation on the box version's transferrable licence? Is it only 1 machine at a time?

If you mean a retail license then yes, it can only be on one machine at a time.

Well there's someone in the FS/FT subforum here that sells Windows 7 licenses pretty cheap, you can get some of those if needed, then use the accessibility upgrade for Windows 10 (which is still free and capable of being used but that's not going to last much longer) and lock in the retail Windows 10 license, that's one potential solution on non-OEM hardware - I wouldn't even touch OEM licenses anymore for any reason at all personally, especially considering how difficult it can be to do an activated re-installation if needed.

Personally I question the legalities of cheap Windows licenses off the [H] forums. If that license is OEM or pre loved, than technically speaking purchasing the license off a non Microsoft reseller is questionable at best - If you're a system builder using these licenses 'watch out'. MS will come knocking, and when they do all they'll say is "you should have bought of a registered MS reseller".

As to the reasons given for using Enterprise licenses, all of them so far go against the EULA. Furthermore, there's no real massive advantage to using Enterprise over Pro on a personal machine anyway.

If it's a full retail license, not from an upgrade, I believe the original buyer can resell it.

The first licenced user can, I can assure you that the people selling licence keys on the [H] forums are not the first licenced users.

That would mean that you can grab a retail licence off an old PC and install it onto a new PC to sell to a customer and make a profit of ~$150.00 on the Windows licence, you cannot do this and if MS find out you're in a world of hurt - And they do find out.

Last edited:
The first licenced user can, I can assure you that the people selling licence keys on the [H] forums are not the first licenced users.

That would mean that you can grab a retail licence off an old PC and install it onto a new PC to sell to a customer and make a profit of ~$150.00 on the Windows licence, you cannot do this and if MS find out you're in a world of hurt - And they do find out.

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Yes, you can. If it's an original purchased retail copy, not an upgraded version and you are the original owner. At least in the US.

Back