Windows 10 Build 14385 Now Available

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The newest build for Insiders includes a number of changes that include battery life improvements to Surface devices and fixes for quirks affecting Chrome and certain Edge extensions.

Microsoft are currently in sign-off mode for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, meaning all these builds are pretty much identical to what the public will be getting on August second, minus the few remaining bugs that Microsoft are squishing. My insider sources say Microsoft is aiming to have a final build for the Anniversary Update sign-off on by Friday the 15th, so at some point next week.

Installed the latest build last night. MS has certainly got the download/install process working like butter now. I must say that all the changes they have done and all the things added since the release of Windows 10 last year have been mostly things that I will likely never ever use. Edge browser being number one--detest it. For sure 10 is slick, fast, efficient--a few things are really nice. First thing I do on preview builds is uninstall all the stuff I really don't need. And, 10 really hurts my eyes after staring at if for a while--going back to Windows 7 is much easier on the old eyes. The rounded borders, muted colors are nice. Windows 10 is just in your face--bold colors, angular, glaring.

Not to start up something that has been hacked to death but I'll probably keep using Windows 7 as the daily driver. Redstone 1 has been about adding things, fixing things that should have been on the original release. There is hope that Redstone 2 which Insiders will be previewing after the "Anniversary Release" might actually make some real changes to Windows. Will see what happens during the next year. Hate that they took away the little blue circle that filled in as the build was installing--now back to just plain old text with percentages. Thought the circle filling/working its way round was actually nice and "modern" in the earlier Windows 10 previews. Raised heck with MS about it as did other Insiders but so far they haven't listened.

I only need an OS to run my computer parts. Everything else I can do with apps/programs of my choosing and don't need help figuring that out just now. Many will use and like all the changes to 10 that have been added during the past year. Windows 10 does seem to handle multiple monitors and 4K resolution quite a bit better than Windows 7, at least for my needs.

And, 10 really hurts my eyes after staring at if for a while--going back to Windows 7 is much easier on the old eyes. The rounded borders, muted colors are nice. Windows 10 is just in your face--bold colors, angular, glaring.

Have you tried the Dark mode?

Hate that they took away the little blue circle that filled in as the build was installing--now back to just plain old text with percentages. Thought the circle filling/working its way round was actually nice and "modern" in the earlier Windows 10 previews. Raised heck with MS about it as did other Insiders but so far they haven't listened.

I was wondering about that myself. I think that was nicer.

I only need an OS to run my computer parts. Everything else I can do with apps/programs of my choosing and don't need help figuring that out just now. Many will use and like all the changes to 10 that have been added during the past year. Windows 10 does seem to handle multiple monitors and 4K resolution quite a bit better than Windows 7, at least for my needs.

I agree with you on multiple monitors and high DPI monitors. Overall Redstone 1 looks to be a lot of minor tweaks. I like the change on the left of Start, the ink desktop stuff if pretty cool but feels it not quite as feature packed as it could be. There is actually one feedback item I provided a long time ago, the ability to autohide the task bar in tablet mode, that's been added. I actually do like Edge on a tablet, they've added swiping back and forth that was in IE 11 modern and for some reason not in Edge initially. We'll see if the extensions come along, Ad block is a nice to have. With that and the power efficiency tweaks it does feel like the Surface Pro 3 I'm running Insider Builds on is getting better battery life. I've not done any real testing but the fans do seem to spin up less now.

....We'll see if the extensions come along, Ad block is a nice to have. .....
Both adblock and adblock Plus extensions have been available for the last few builds. Lastpass extension is also available as well. Initially, the performance of these extensions was a problem, but the last two builds has improved it tremendously. I am using Edge now exclusively because the only extensions I need (adblock and lastpass) are now available.

I just want them to fix the whole 'screen rotation locked' bullshit on tablets. It annoys me so much. I'd assume it was a driver issue if it didn't happen 90% of the time. But I have 2 tablets with different accelerometers and have the same issue with each. So annoying.

I just want them to fix the whole 'screen rotation locked' bullshit on tablets. It annoys me so much. I'd assume it was a driver issue if it didn't happen 90% of the time. But I have 2 tablets with different accelerometers and have the same issue with each. So annoying.

Not sure what you mean. I have a number of Windows 10 tablets and none of them have issues with screen rotation or rotation lock that I know.

I installed Win 10 Saturday due to monster rainstorms all day and finally broke down to give it a go. I will say that it is not bad at all. Many features are just fluff and removable waste and I can see other features that I will learn to work towards my advantage. I honestly think it runs most programs rather well and in time I will learn how to stream line this to my liking. I believe this will be a great windows for multi monitor usage. The only real issue I had was that voice volumes in some games was lower and required minor adjustment to level out. God mode is a God send for Win 10

Have you tried the Dark mode?

I was wondering about that myself. I think that was nicer.

I agree with you on multiple monitors and high DPI monitors. Overall Redstone 1 looks to be a lot of minor tweaks. I like the change on the left of Start, the ink desktop stuff if pretty cool but feels it not quite as feature packed as it could be. There is actually one feedback item I provided a long time ago, the ability to autohide the task bar in tablet mode, that's been added. I actually do like Edge on a tablet, they've added swiping back and forth that was in IE 11 modern and for some reason not in Edge initially. We'll see if the extensions come along, Ad block is a nice to have. With that and the power efficiency tweaks it does feel like the Surface Pro 3 I'm running Insider Builds on is getting better battery life. I've not done any real testing but the fans do seem to spin up less now.

Do you find the latest build stable enough to use on your Surface Pro 3 daily now? I tried it a couple of months back on my Surface Pro 3 and it was not stable enough to use. User would not log in correctly was the one major issue I had with it which made it entirely useless for me at that time.

Do you find the latest build stable enough to use on your Surface Pro 3 daily now? I tried it a couple of months back on my Surface Pro 3 and it was not stable enough to use. User would not log in correctly was the one major issue I had with it which made it entirely useless for me at that time.

It's been pretty stable for a while now. This latest build is running without major issue except on thing. Entry into text boxes while typing in Edge is sluggish. Not sure why, I actually just installed this build on my sig rig last night and there's no sign of that problem.

does it fix:

My start bar not working after games?
Multi-monitor support randomly turning off my monitors when NOT in NVSurround mode.
Breaking my G27 drivers because it keeps trying to update my drivers to those of a wheel I don't own
Not letting me choose default programs. Windows will not let me make VLC my default play back program
My start bar not working after the computer wakes back up

I'm running windows 10 because everyone said it was awesome and I thought I'd give it a fair shake rather than jumping on the W10 hate train.

Fuck Windows 10.

does it fix:

My start bar not working after games?
Multi-monitor support randomly turning off my monitors when NOT in NVSurround mode.
Breaking my G27 drivers because it keeps trying to update my drivers to those of a wheel I don't own
Not letting me choose default programs. Windows will not let me make VLC my default play back program
My start bar not working after the computer wakes back up

I'm running windows 10 because everyone said it was awesome and I thought I'd give it a fair shake rather than jumping on the W10 hate train.

Fuck Windows 10.

Sounds like an Nvidia driver issue in all but one item. Screw Nvidia?

Sounds like an Nvidia driver issue in all but one item. Screw Nvidia?

One the first driver, maybe. But on the second? Doubtful. Especially since reloading the UI or restarting explorer.exe fixes the problem.

And, how do you figure my G27 and/or default program is an nvidia problem? Please explain this to me.

does it fix:

Have you done: Control Panel > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > check no?

Have you done: Control Panel > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > check no?
Yes, and I haven't had any issues, but there are still people on the iracing forums that are still having their wheel drivers broken even after doing this step. They said they don't have auto updates from Logitec enabled...if thats even a thing? I don't remember turning that off and have never gotten updates from logitech.

Back