Windows 10 1607 search

Eagle923

Limp Gawd
So the Windows 10 search (which is a huge step back from the "swipe" search from charms on a Surface 3 Pro) has been annoying me lately. Previously, if I clicked the search button and typed in the name of a file it'd pop right up like magic. After the 1607 update it will no longer display the file (says no files found under "ALL")...yet if I I use the drop down arrow (see red circle in picture) and select "DOCUMENTS" then it pops right up.

Has anyone else run into this?
Is this something that rebuilding the search index will fix, or is the new search just less useful than before?
iZyKC
JRTnD

Attachments

• search 1.jpg
    search 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 43
  • search 2.jpg
    search 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26
Hmm I don't usually use the Start menu bar to search for files honestly - I'll check this when I'm home though haha.

Thanks guys. I'll look into a separate addon... but darn it... it USED TO WORK FINE MS! The Win 8.1 search was fantastic. I could just swipe from the side and start typing and nearly anything I was looking for (files, settings, help) just popped right up! Even before the Anniversary update it found files OK. Now the search is a useless Bing search and for apps (which I rarely use).

I swear search has been temperamental as fuck since W8 and on.

Everything is pretty awesome.

There is a dropdown on the upper right to select what/where to search. Did you check that? Also, there is a button/icon on the top left to limit/expand where to search.

Speaking of search...I used to be able to just click on the Start menu and then start typing and it would bring up a search...suddenly now I am unable to do that. Is that something they removed or is it an issue with my machine? I just did a clean install of Win10 not long ago so I don't think it's my install...

EDIT: Fixed by doing this:

Re-register the Cortana app

After the November Update, if you used this method to fix this problem using the Appx PowerShell cmdlet, it broke the Windows Store apps – maybe due to some bug. But it works now, and I have personally tried this – Admin. 1 July 2016.

Open an elevated Powershell prompt, type the following command and hit Enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

You can also open Task Manager > File menu > Run new task. Type powershell and select the Create this task with administrative privileges check box and click OK to open a PowerShell prompt

EDIT 2: And then it broke again...wtf?

EDIT 3: After a reboot it seems like it's working now...?

Last edited:
Back