Window material questions

Joined
Apr 5, 2016
Messages
2,286
I'm wanting to put a windowed side panel on the Raijintek Metis build I'm doing for my wife. The existing side panels are just flat aluminum plates with some countersunk holes drilled in them. I'm thinking I can easily replicate that in a sheet of plexi, acrylic, or glass, but I've got limited experience working with those materials.

What would you guys recommend using? And with your recommendation, can you provide any tips on working with your suggested material?
 
plexi is more durable but less clear and shiny than acrylic and glass is way more expensive but is clear and doesn't scratch like the other two. you can take measurements and get a shop to cut any of them for you, possibly even drill the holes too. check with a local glass shop as they usually will have all three or access to them. or take the panel to them...

edit: if youre gonna try yourself plexi is a good start, more forgiving(less cracks/chips)
 
Hey, I hadn't thought about having a glass shop do it! They probably would have the tools to do something fancy like tinted/tempered, too! =)
 
FYI: Plexiglas is simply a trade name for Acrylic. As is Lucite. The other common plastic sheeting is Polycarbonate. This is what is used as bullet-resistant glass.

Acrylic is more shiny, cheaper, and harder, thus easier to crack.

Poly is more expensive, more impact resistant, and softer, so less likely to crack yet easier to scratch.
 
yes your right! the other one I was thinking of was lexan(polycarb). been a looooong time since I did a windows mod.
 
Back
Top