win7 wont install to 300gb raptor..

dajet24

2[H]4U
ok so iam going from a raptor x 150gb to a 300gb velociraptor and when i try to clean install the system sees the drive but will not let me install the os on it claming device drivers.. the drive has been formatted and is accesible under the old install .. anyone know the trick to make windows let me install to it?

system in sig.

try starting with an unformatted drive and let the installing OS partition/format it?

thats just it the 300gb drive does nto show up in the intial install screen only if you click install drivers and browse it shows the other drives in system.. for some reason it wont show this drive in the first window only later on.

Do what dbwillis said. I had the same problem installing Win7 on a WD harddrive. I ended up deleting the partitions/wiping the drive first and it worked after that. Wipe the drive first with another system/tool, not the Windows 7 installer.

after zero'ing the drive and reformatting it 10 different ways it finally showed up ion the installer screen... weird

thx

ok so it installed on the new drive but if i remove the old drive the system refuses to see or boot to the new one... wtf ive tried moving aorund sata ports etc but th eonly way the system will boot to the new drive is if the old one is in the sata 1 position plugged in..

Your boot sector is on the other drive, and your BIOS is most likely configured to boot from that drive, too.

Change your boot drive in your BIOS to point to the new drive (the one with the Win7 install on it that you want to boot from). Once that's done, it should fail to boot.

Now you'll need to boot to your Windows 7 CD and choose Repair. You'll be able to select "startup repair". It should scan your drives and find your installation of Windows 7 and repair the problem for you. It's probably best to make sure you leave the old hard drive out for now, but you can put it back in later if you want to.

There are other ways to fix the boot sector, but this is probably one of the easiest.

Fixing the boot sector beyond Demon's way is to open the command prompt in teh repair area and run these:

Code:
bootrec/ fixboot
and
Code:
bootrec/ fixmbr

The slashes might be the wrong direction.

thx for help cleared cmos seemed to do it.. reinstalled the os with the original drive out of the pc finally up and running.. worst clean install i have had in forever damn velociraptor. seeing on forums the thing has some none acceptable sata 2.0 specs or something /shrug

Back