Win7 "Log on to" changing automatically

WhiteZero

2[H]4U
I work in a corporate domain environment and Win7 has been a godsend for the most part.

I've noticed that on desktops, if you change users and go to log in with a local account (we have local admin accounts setup), the "Log on to" location automatically changes from the domain to the local PC. Very convenient.

But for some reason on our laptops, this does not happen. I have to manually type "computername\adminaccount" for the "Log on to" to change appropriately.

Any idea what actually triggers this? How can I make it work automatically on all computers?

You can just use .\username for the local computer. I know that doesn't necessarily address what you were asking, but it should certainly save you a lot of characters if your computer names are as long as some of mine :)

You may have luck enabling the local policy "do not show last username"...this makes our builds default to the AD logon.
(we also disabled the ctrl-alt-del prompt and only have an OK button to the legal message)

You can just use .\username for the local computer. I know that doesn't necessarily address what you were asking, but it should certainly save you a lot of characters if your computer names are as long as some of mine :)

hahaa! Ok, that is pretty awesome. Thanks!

Back