win7 backup is slow

mtrupi

Gawd
I have two PCs using windows7 built in backup utility. One PC slows down when it gets to creating a system image, but at least finishes over night. The other PC does the same thing, but after 24 hours it was still at 67% complete. The first is windows pro, the second is windows ultimate. Both with SP1 installed so all of the fixes for slow backups should be in there. Should I just give up on the windows7 backup? I have Acronis but haven't used it on these computers.

They are backing up to a Seagate 2TB USB drive connected to a WNDR3700v2 router USB port. Should I consider using Seagate Freeagent?

Last edited:
Id plug the USB drive into the PC to do the backup.
How much data is being backed up? 40GB, 90GB?
Id guess the router is having a problem after XX amount of GB pushed through it to the USB drive

Id plug the USB drive into the PC to do the backup.
How much data is being backed up? 40GB, 90GB?
Id guess the router is having a problem after XX amount of GB pushed through it to the USB drive

The USB drive was originally plugged in to the computer in question. Easy enough to try again just to make sure, but it will be later today before I can do that. The drive it's imaging it 1TB with about 200GB of data on it. I'm not sure how that translate to size of the image being created. The other computer is considerably smaller with less data. That would suck if the router has some large file size issue since external USB drives is one of the selling points.

well, using Ghost it takes me almost 2hrs to restore a 135gb image, think it took 3 + hrs to create it, Id hope W7 backup would do 200gb in about 4-5 hrs

So it is the router. Not the file size but the transfer rate. The USB drive connected to the router is maybe 10 times slower than when connected directly to the computer backing up. Think I'll return the router since this was a key feature I was looking forward to.

I'll check the router setup first. Such slow speeds might be their idea of QoS. If no other data is being transferred I would have expected the one and only data stream to get the highest priority???

edit: for anyone else, it seems primarily a wireless issue. With a 10/100 wired connection the speed is about right, but still slower than direct connect USB. I don't have gbE to on the computer to try out.

Last edited:
Back