Win7 ATI/Nvidia PhysX restored with a patch

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
This was mentioned briefly toward the end of PhysX on nVidia cards won't work if an ATI card is used, but I thought it should get its own thread.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/10/04/1729245/Patch-Re-Enables-PhysX-When-ATI-Card-Is-Present -> http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html -> http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/...sx-when-ati-card-is-present-28.html#post82812

GenL said:
Alright then. You can get it right here...

Instructions included in Readme file. I hope there is enough info for everyone to use it properly. Don't forget, it's only for Windows 7, as it's the only platform where you can configure your multi-GPU setup easily.

I'd like to point out that the whole "fighting" with nvidia this way may look like we really interested in PhysX and are helping it to live further as a standart. Although i don't want to support it, i'd like to support people who wants to utilize their hardware the way they need/like.

PhysX-mod-x86-1.01.rar
PhysX-mod-x64-1.01.rar

Readme.txt said:
NVIDIA GeForce driver 19x.xx PhysX mod [x86/x64] v1.01
by Liandri / THETA

* DESCRIPTION:
This mod will enable hardware PhysX support for NVIDIA GPU, when non-NVIDIA GPU
is used as a primary display device.
- intended only for WDDM 1.1 OS (Windows 7).
- only for multi-vendor multi-GPU configurations.

* INSTALLATION:
1. Install the needed GeForce driver package. Do not reboot when asked.
2. Use the mod (x86/x64) to patch all needed driver files.
3. Reboot.

* NOTES:
1. If you are unable to patch the files due to "file in use" error, you may try one of the following solutions:
- Terminate all NVIDIA runtimes (nv***.exe) and Windows Explorer shell (explorer.exe) manually before patching.
- Try using the mod under Safe Mode.
2. It is safe to apply the patch several times - the needed files will be patched only once.
3. After reboot you may find "*.tmp" files in system directories left after patching. You can safely delete or leave them.

* Thanks to beta testers:
ghost_zero5, Pat, Skyfallkavu, Decebal, darthcyclonis, Kinnyo

* Do not let proprietary closed standards choose a hardware for you! When they die, the hardware will be useless.

Coralized links, in case the originals disappear:
http://www.ngohq.com.nyud.net/attac...en-ati-card-is-present-physx-mod-x86-1.01.rar
http://www.ngohq.com.nyud.net/attac...en-ati-card-is-present-physx-mod-x64-1.01.rar

Wow that is the first I had heard that the new drivers disable the PPU when used with an ATi card. I must not have the latest drivers for my card as it seems to be working fine.

The next driver update will disable it again...

Don't download it. It's not like games usually require the absolute newest PhysX revision. Some even come bundled with the Aegia drivers from a year ago.

Artificial limitations are always curcimvented, Nvidia should just leave it alone and list it as an usupported feature try at your own risk.

Artificial limitations are always curcimvented, Nvidia should just leave it alone and list it as an usupported feature try at your own risk.

That's how it is, unofficially, right now.

Just nVidia decided it saw green (punnage hint), and wanted to lock out a stiff competitor.

Nvidia is just afraid of everybody buying ATI 58xx series cards and using their old Nvidia cards for PhysX only. Still a crappy move on their part.

Then again, there are those like me who bought a brand new GTS250 specifically to get PhysX and CUDA support.

Nvidia is just afraid of everybody buying ATI 58xx series cards and using their old Nvidia cards for PhysX only. Still a crappy move on their part.

Then again, there are those like me who bought a brand new GTS250 specifically to get PhysX and CUDA support.

a gts250 is overkill for physx (not so much cuda, but it depends on what you're cuding). what are you playing/running that needs that much power?

a gts250 is overkill for physx (not so much cuda, but it depends on what you're cuding). what are you playing/running that needs that much power?

i wouldn't exactly call it overkill. depending on the game you can get noticeable gains even with a gtx260 or higher. a 250 isn't a whole lot better than an 9800gt, and many would recommend an 8800/9800gt as a minimum for dedicated physics processing. so it is a pretty good choice if you can get it for around $100.

upgraded to win7 and added my old 8800gts 640mb as phsyx card, works fine with batman and darkest of days.

There are GTS250's floating around for $100 or less. It's a pretty good pick-up as a PhysX card if you plan on keeping it for a while...assuming games keep using PhysX for any amount of time.

Plan on picking up a 5850 when it's available in my area and use my 9600gt as a dedicated physx card...exactly what nvidia doesn't want me to do.

Well Im still using a Radeon 4670, a Ageia PhysX Card with an old driver in Win 7 and I'm still gaming. But this has got to be one of the most selfish, castrating ideas on Nvidia's part.

I did a LOT of research on all Nvidia cards that could support PhysX. I do tend to go a little overboard, but my stuff usually ends up lasting me longer that way.

And I bought it off of Ebay.. for a whopping $78 including shipping.

Lesser cards were being sold for more than that. I will note that it did take me a couple weeks to get that good of a price on one, but it was well worth the wait.

I'm playing the game Trine which use PhysX. I guess it has older drivers since it still seems to function just fine.

There's a difference between CPU & GPU PhysX? Oddly enough the PhysX manual never mentions it :p

that's because you have the abridged version. you need to purchase the deluxe edition. :D get with the program, yeesh! :p

Last edited:
Tried the path last night followed the instructions in the readme but no go:(
any ideas:confused:

Tried the path last night followed the instructions in the readme but no go:(
any ideas:confused:

What Nvidia card are you trying to use for PhysX?

Did you download and install the latest PhysX software?

What Nvidia driver version are you trying to use? The latest ones from Nvidia work.

Are you using Windows 7. If not, it won't work.

Back