win10 upgrade password?

Pegi

Limp Gawd
A 90-year-old relative just called me saying he had just upgraded to win10 (why, I don't know) but he's unable to log in because it asks for his password. He never had a password in win7. I haven't upgraded myself so don't know much about this. He's going to get his "better" hearing aid and call me back so I can talk him through this. Please for the love of all that is holy, can someone tell me what password this win10 upgrade wants.

It maybe asking him to type in his old password so windows 10 can use a PIN to login instead. If he never had a password, just tell him to hit enter. If he had a password in the past on win7, it could be his windows was set up to automatically log him on.

It could also be Win10 wanting him to sign in using his Microsoft account. If he doesn't have one, then there should be a "skip this step" link. There's a also a "skip this step" for assigning a PIN as well.

wrong, windows 7-8-8.1 passwords WONT work for windows 10, they should have better thought this through before allowing the stand-alone install for win 10. Hope the below helps, I will be waiting a bit before they get things ironed out in regards to the install process and so forth, i.e everyone else can be a guinea pig like for example, being FORCED to get updates, real smart move there, nothing worse then possibly being caught in a rollback install rollback loop just because something doesn't work properly, by default it should be set to "let me know when update is available but I will choose when to install it" as there has been times for me with win xp and 7 that even critical patches caused problems lo and behold months later they "discover" what the problem was.

That is something whoever thought it was a good idea should have been slapped something hard for mentioning it o_O Anyways, below should help.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-from-windows-7-and-8/

Appreciate the link, but he's unable to GET to the desktop. He boots up and is presented with a password login screen. No start key. On the far right he says he sees the "connect to internet" icon and a disability/ease of access icon, and that's it. He's going to have his 64-year-old neighbor with "better ears" call me later for instructions. Please, anyone...this bricks his laptop for him if we can't get it running.

wrong, windows 7-8-8.1 passwords WONT work for windows 10
What do you mean by that? After upgrade from 7 to 10 I was asked for my old password to login into my account. The old password worked.

If leaving empty field and pressing Enter doesn't help, maybe he was asked to create a password for his account, not to use non existing old one?

Back