Win10 activation question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Astrowind, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Astrowind

Astrowind n00b

I have Win7 and read the Intel Ice Lake desktop CPUs are coming out sometime in 2020. However, support for Win7 is ending January 2020.

So, I was thinking of buying an SSD and installing it temporarily on my Win7 machine and installing Win10 (and unhooking my HD with Win7). I was wondering if I install Win10 for 30 days at a time without activating, will that serial key attach itself to my Win7 hardware?

Because I would like to take the SSD later and install it in a new Ice Lake machine once those CPUs come out then activate Win10. Is this possible?

2. m_isom

m_isom Limp Gawd

If you upgrade the windows 7 to 10, even cloning to a ssd before the upgrade it will attach to the motherboard. If you take the ssd and install a fresh windows 10 and not input the key you can run un-activated. If you can still use a windows 7 key to activate 10 by then is unknown.

3. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

As long as you don't input the
    key, you can actívate anytime

4. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

As of about a month or so ago, it was still working.

5. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

I was wondering if I install Win10 for 30 days at a time without activating, will that serial key attach itself to my Win7 hardware?

Don't see how it would if you don't put a key into the win10 install.
    I used a w7 pro key this am top activated a new w10 install, v1809

6. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

You don't need a product key to install Windows 10. If you want to reinstall it every 30 days you could and never buy it. Therefore there is no point in putting in the product key. Plus I don't know how you would prevent it from activating in the first place if you did put in a key.