Win XP SP3 - eVGA 295 GTX and 4gb system memory problems.

boss67

n00b
Hi there i was hoping somebody who knows stuff much better than me could shine a light through my problems here....

I upgraded my pc from geforce 280gtx to evga295 gtx now.
My mobo is now MSI P43 Neo (as i burned my dfi lanparty p45 overclocking...:/).
My ram is Corsair 2x2gb DDR2 800MHz....

Im currently using Win XP PRO SP3 cause i dont really like the network problems i get with vista and when i click My computer -> Properties ... windows Reads only 2GB of ram whereas CPU-Z and Everest show that the Computer has 2dimms of 2gb ram each....

Also tried Corsair Dominator 1066mhz 2x2gb and pc crashes and doesnt boot.

Any suggestions pls ? Do i need to go Vista SP1 64bit or so ? :/

I upgraded my pc from geforce 280gtx to evga295 gtx now.

Im currently using Win XP PRO SP3 cause i dont really like the network problems i get with vista and when i click My computer -> Properties ... windows Reads only 2GB of ram whereas CPU-Z and Everest show that the Computer has 2dimms of 2gb ram each....

Looks right to me. In fact, your Windows read RAM is higher than I expected with that GTX295 installed. Yes you'll need Vista 64bit or any 64bit OS in order to use all 4GB of that RAM.

Going with the Domininator RAM wouldn't have changed anything. But the PC might be crashing with the Domininator RAM installed due to incorrect voltage and timing settings and/or FSB : DRAM ratio.

cheeers Danny...

i guess ill have to throw in the Vista 64bit sp1......and god knows i hope it workz at least reliably with no issues.

Out of curiosity, how does your memory map look like? (msinfo32 - hardware - memory)

Hi from system information hardware..

my.php

Do you have a memory remap function in bios that is enabled?

(Btw, the text in msinfo is copy/paste-able :)

Yup i c ;p

well nope msi p43 neo doesnt have that....argh....
the thing is im a pilot and have to leave my country for a month now tomorrow for some training in another country...ill be back in a month to deal with this :/ bad luck to me.

I guess ill have to become a vista 64bit user what u reckon ?

No matter what, to see *everything* you need 64bit xp/vista.

About the remap function. From the looks of your map, the ram has ben remapped at 2G (0x80000000), which is not optimal, since the first MMIO-device begins at 0xb0000000. So without remapping, you would have 2,75 GB available.

Back