Win 8 - Aero glass type transparency?

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
I know there are a lot of third party programs that address the start menu/start screen issue but is there any, or any in development, that adds transparency back to window borders?

I know there is a hidden built in transparency but it doesn't work properly (for example anytime I move a window over top a game running in a window results in massive graphical corruption).

Also is it just me or are the borders much thicker (so bigger and uglier...:p)?

There's Aero8Tuner, which can make window borders transparent. However that glassy, blurry effect from 7 and Vista has been completely stripped from Windows 8.

I haven't found any program that changes the border padding size. You might be able to change it via the registry (shame on MS for removing the classic "Colors and Appearance" dialog box :mad:).

I tried Aero8Tuner and it just enables the built in hidden transparency which doesn't really work quite correctly (graphical corruption). Although was able to adjust the color balance to make it blend in better.

Regarding border sizes, found Tiny Windows Borders on the same site - http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.96 and was able to shrink the borders a lot (1 pixel of padding). Haven't noticed any issues yet.

There's Aero8Tuner, which can make window borders transparent. However that glassy, blurry effect from 7 and Vista has been completely stripped from Windows 8.

I haven't found any program that changes the border padding size. You might be able to change it via the registry (shame on MS for removing the classic "Colors and Appearance" dialog box :mad:).

You can, indeed, change the border size in through the registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

The strings are BorderWidth and PaddedBorderWidth

Unforutnately, I don't know of a way to enable window transparancy.

Does anyone know a way to add windows shadows back in? One of my usability issues with Windows 8 is the fact that there isn't any shadows around windows. It makes it a little harder to easily tell where background windows are when they overlap other background windows.

If you go to advanced system settings->performance visual settings it is actually there and on by default just really faint apparently.

I think WindowFX by Stardock used to apply drop shadows to windows and menus, but I'm not sure if it still does or if it works in Windows 8.

I think WindowFX by Stardock used to apply drop shadows to windows and menus, but I'm not sure if it still does or if it works in Windows 8.

5.1 works, but it's not the transparency he's looking for. Windowblinds 8 may have it but that still is a ways off.

Back