• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Win 7 total size

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 3, 2001
Messages
1,815
Anyone know how much total space windows 7 takes up once installed and patched to the latest patches? I'm thinking of building my wife a new gaming rig for her birthday and would like to get her a solid state drive to run her OS and her game (WoW)... I know the game is roughly 22 gigs and will expand later this year, but i'm clueless on the size of the OS itself... I just want to get a SSD big enough for those two applications and then a regular HHD for her pictures/videos etc.....
 
Why a SSD, just get her a fast samsung f3 and forget about running out of GB's.
 
Win7 takes like 9.2 GBs minimum. In know with my fresh install of Ultimate though, it was actually around 20 GBs, which I was kinda surprised, I guess it's all the Ultimate extras that take up all the space, that and the pagefile/system restore took up almost 10 GBs, but I moved both of them over to my Raptor HDDs. So even with the minimum install size, I don't think a 30 GB SSD will be enough for you if the game takes 22 GBs.

Someone else chime in and verify this though.
 
Win7 Ultimate doesn't have "Ultimate Extras." I've also never seen a Windows 7 install under 10GB. My Professional x86 install is 13GB (right clicking on the Windows folder). My Ultimate install (x64) is 18GB. I also do not believe that System Restore gets counted when you use the "right click on Windows folder" method. I'm not sure if this method includes the pagefile (I've seen it on the root of drives, but not in the Windows folder itself).
 
With Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2007 installed, plus other programs like Firefox and such, my install is using only 13GB. A 64GB drive is more than enough for WoW and Windows.
 
I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I also have a few odd and end programs installed on this drive right now too.
I use a different HDD for all my games though.

Windowsfolder.png



I agree with SicKlown, 64GB drive should be plenty.
 
My Windows folder is around 13.5gigs. But you still have to consider the other system directories (Documents and settings, program files, etc.) as well as the two hidden files (swapfile and the hibernate file)

I don't know what the normal size of documents folder is, nor the system files that go into the programs folder by default. But the two swap files in the root directory are pretty big

hiberfil.sys = 3,194,527,744
pagefile.sys = 4,259,373,056

Probably around 22Gigs total. A 32Gig SSD should be ok.
 
My Windows folder is around 13.5gigs. But you still have to consider the other system directories (Documents and settings, program files, etc.) as well as the two hidden files (swapfile and the hibernate file)

I don't know what the normal size of documents folder is, nor the system files that go into the programs folder by default. But the two swap files in the root directory are pretty big

hiberfil.sys = 3,194,527,744
pagefile.sys = 4,259,373,056

Probably around 22Gigs total. A 32Gig SSD should be ok.
Your right except a 32Gb one just isnt going to cut it cause he said he also wants to install WOW on the same HDD.
So if the OS is around 22GB and WOW is around 22GB and with the game expanding later this year, a 32Gb drive just isn't big enough.

Myself I would prolly get a 32GB drive for the OS and put WOW on a separate drive along with Pics/video etc. But thats just me, lol.
 
Your right except a 32Gb one just isnt going to cut it cause he said he also wants to install WOW on the same HDD.
So if the OS is around 22GB and WOW is around 22GB and with the game expanding later this year, a 32Gb drive just isn't big enough.

Myself I would prolly get a 32GB drive for the OS and put WOW on a separate drive along with Pics/video etc. But thats just me, lol.

Aw man! I thought that was a typo! 22Gigs for one game??? I thought GTIV was big!
 
Wow, lots of replys! To confirm wow with all current patches is rounded up to 22 gigs in size.. They will also be coming out with a new release for it this year at some point as well, so i'd like to anticipate that. So far it seems like a 64 gig SSD will be what i'm needing to be safe.

Big reason i'm avoiding platter drives even the samsung f3 is when they are reaching capacity they always seem to slow down in seek time etc due to all the data to filter... I wish to avoid this if possible with the SSD.. So far I understand they perform the same at all capacity.. Which is what i am looking for!
 
I installed 64 bit Win7 Ent 2 weeks ago (here at work) and the size of just the Windows folder is:
22.4 GB (24,112,155,318 bytes)
76,275 Files, 15,467 Folders
 
K, I think its safe to assume 25gig for win 7 and at least 25 for wow when its said and done ( if not 30gig)
 
7 Ultimate 64-bit on my machine is ~14.5 gig. Expect it to gain weight with time as well.
 
I installed 64 bit Win7 Ent 2 weeks ago (here at work) and the size of just the Windows folder is:
22.4 GB (24,112,155,318 bytes)
76,275 Files, 15,467 Folders

That's the biggest one so far :eek: Did you install anything to make it that big?

I was considering getting an SSD and even with minimal installations in the system drive, 32Gigs is still gonna be a close fit. My work files aren't even all gonna fit in the wwwroot. Been considering getting the 64Gig but if Win7 is continiously going to get bloated, i'm starting to wonder if that's even enough :(

What's the biggest windows 7 installation you guys have come across?
 
WoW with Lich King expansion is a little over 16 gbs with no extra patch files left behind
 
Back
Top