WIN 7 or XP pro?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 12, 2000
Messages
1,655
I just bought The Kingston 128SSD V Now laptop bundle at the egg. I have already cloned my old drive Win XP PRO and installed it in My HP V6171CL Turion X2 tl-50 with 2gigs of ram and Onboard 6150 / 430 Nvidia graphics. I did a Google on SSD optmizations. Downloaded ran SSD tweaker from OZC and set up a Ram disk for Internet and page files. So far I have seen more than double the read speeds of my old laptop drive. I am considering installing WIN 7 as I have read that it can be tweaked manually for even better performance, This drive does not unfortunately support TRIM. I was concerned that the Jmicron controller might be an issue but I then read that Kngston did 6 revisions of firmware before be satifsfied to release it to retail. So far no problems. Just wanting opinions would I gain any noticeable performance on the 2.5 year old laptop with Win 7?
 
Blocks of text like that are annoying to read. I'm just going to say Windows 7, as most everyone else will, for good reason.
 
Windows 7 makes much better use of >2GB of RAM than XP does. RAM is faster than SSDs, and the adaptive caching in Windows 7 is going to as much for system responsiveness as an SSD.
 
Windows 7.
XP has been kept alive by Vista being a steaming pile of shit. Now that you can get Vista without the steaming pile part, plus full XP virtualization for those pissy apps, there's absolutely no legitimate reason beside cost to not go Windows 7.
 
Well it appears to me that I am Not going to get Windows 7 to work on this laptop because I cannot find wondows 7 drivers for the HD audio, coprocesser or smbus.

I have tried the Vista 64 drivers and the the win 7 64 bit. I have tried a hacked driver.

What I don't understand is that windows update has new drivers for an old 6150 but not a current chipset driver. Thanks again Nvidia for half assed driver support.
 
I got it Fixed ! believe it or not the Compaq/HP Vista 64 drivers were the only ones that worked! I then installed the Nvidia 15.35 Nforce and even the Sata drivers. I haven't heard that many good things about their sata driver though. So I hope its all good.
 
Well it appears to me that I am Not going to get Windows 7 to work on this laptop because I cannot find wondows 7 drivers for the HD audio, coprocesser or smbus.

I installed it on a 5-year old laptop and the drivers from Windows Update worked just fine. I did have to get an older Vista driver for the wireless, but otherwise there's not really any need to hunt down drivers. Install Win7, run updated, let it install drivers, win.
 
I was concerned that the Jmicron controller might be an issue but I then read that Kngston did 6 revisions of firmware before be satifsfied to release it to retail.

How 'bout giving us a long term road test with your SSD?

I've had a JMicron SSD and as I'm sure you are aware, they've gotten a bad rap from the press.

Please give us a status report after 1 week of usage.
 
I tried Windows 7 Professional ... terrible driver/app compatibility. Went back to Vista Ultimate :(

my 0.02
 
I tried Windows 7 Professional ... terrible driver/app compatibility. Went back to Vista Ultimate :(

my 0.02

my 0.02 cents is that sounds amazingly like an Id 10 T error. Espcially how well received 7 is by everyone else. I and many others (read the multiple threads) have been using it full time since the beta and have not run in to a single app/driver incompatibility.
 
I vote Windows 7 aswell. You'll have to do it some time anyways since XP support will end and Win7 is way ahead of Vista.


I tried Windows 7 Professional ... terrible driver/app compatibility. Went back to Vista Ultimate :(

my 0.02

I find that highly unlikely considering Vista drivers for the most part work with Windows 7.
 
I tried Windows 7 Professional ... terrible driver/app compatibility. Went back to Vista Ultimate :(

my 0.02

This isn't QUITE true. The problem is that the drivers aren't packaged well. For instance I'm finding that Vista drivers are often better than official Windows 7 drivers. But trust me after going to RTM on my tx2z tablet I feel you. The drivers that Windows Update puts on this machine fuck it up bad, that's the only way to put it I'm affraid. But the thing is that working Vista drivers are available and fix the lions share of problems which is kind of sad.

However I did have to go back to x86 because there was an annoying hang that occurred when coming out of monitor sleep that I NEVER saw in the Beta or RC which probably means a video driver issue and the video driver on Windows Update borks IE on this machine. Arrggg!!

So Microsoft has a lot of work to do before October 22 for sure.
 
Back
Top