Win 7, nVidia driver problems

veritas7

Gawd
I have Win 7 64bit installed... hardware listed in signature below.

Everything was working fine post-install, going through driver installs and I have this HUGE issue :\.

The default nvidia graphics driver (WDDM 1.1) that comes with Win 7 properly recognizes my monitor's resolution (1920x1200) however, installing either of the last two WHQL certified nVidia drivers (not using Windows Update, using the .exe from nVidia's website) makes my computer have the dumbs and not be able to recognize my monitor's resolutions. It was only letting me use the 800x600 or whatever it defaults too.

Not to mention, I think on the second to last driver IIRC, it worked, but the screen was OMGCARWASH - all my text was blurry and the screen looked washed out, it looks like I was running VGA or something (but it was over DVI!). Apparently this is an issue in Vista from Googling... that still hasn't been solved in Win7.

Anyone encounter this before? Looks like I have to maybe do some INF/EDID hacking later on... I'll also try just using Windows Update as well to see if that works.

I can't believe how drivers and monitors nowadays still have these issues. MONITOR: HI, I HAVE THESE RESOLUTIONS AT THESE FREQUENCES. GPU: OH HAY, OK, I'LL REMEMBER THAT!

In the real world... MONITOR: I FORGOT MY EDID. GPU: LOL WHO ARE YOU? :mad:

Sorry to hear about that. Yeah sounds like an EDID problem, I've had this problem with an LG246 monitor of mine and had to hack the INF just like you're thinking.

What's funny is that the default Windows drivers for Win7 detects all my resolutions.

And then also the latest drivers worked fine for my (albeit a different mobo and processor) XP install as well with my monitor.

I wonder if I would have this issue if I installed Vista SP2... ugh...

It is the SAME driver now for Vista/7 so probably. I had this with with the sig rig running Vista Ultimate SP2, have yet to see if it works on 7.

I understand your fustration but this is a driver issue and the OS has nothing to do with it.

I hate that damn EDID bug.

If you have a Westinghouse L2410NM, I have a registry key that can help you. Otherwise, you'll have to google for your answers.

And yes, this is most likely an issue under Vista also, as I just today upgraded my nVidia drivers, and had to apply the same damn fix again.

Ergh. This is not good. Can you link me where I can somehow find out EDID of my monitor?

I don't really have drivers per-se for my monitor... the ones provided are a POS and are "fake" drivers.

I was about to link to the driver, but the $(&*@#)$ download section looks like it just got edited or is under construction, I can't access any part of their site, I was JUST there last night.

http://www.doublesight.com/download/ If you decide to check for me, it's the DoubleSight DS-263N. I'll edit this post later if they finally decide to come up. Beautiful monitor, s***** customer support.

It was only letting me use the 800x600 or whatever it defaults too.

Thank your lucky stars that it wasn't exhibiting the even WORSE problem of blackscreening after the display driver installation!

Force installing monitor drivers prior to the display driver install is the way to fix it though. When these problems occur you can pretty much bet your balls that the system will be reporting "Generic plug and play monitor" before you install the GPU manufacturer display driver, still reporting that in the system Display Properties after you install the Nvidia display driver, and only reporting the monitor correctly in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Some monitors simply don't report EDID reliably, and they don't necessarily need to come from obscure manufacturers. I have an Acer AL2216W on my home office desktop which does the same. Gotta force install the monitor driver before I start installing display drivers, or it'll all go bellyup!

wait, what? Nvidia driver problems? you're kidding, right? :p

all joking aside, the fix is to edit the display properties in the registry to fix this problem HKLM....\current control set\...display or something like that. Just google it and you will find the fix

Finally fixed it... don't know what the hell was the problem, probably needing to install monitor "drivers" first...

Uninstalled nvidia EXE
Restarted
Uninstalled Windows WDDM 1.1
Ran Driver Cleaner
Restarted
Windows installed WDDM 1.1 again
Restarted
Installed monitor "driver" (from generic PnP => named monitor)
Installed nVidia driver 185.xx (whatever it is) from Windows Update.

From now on I'll update via Windows Update... I don't trust nVidia or their latest drivers, even if they're WHQL certified, I'll wait for the ones that go on Windows Update (that probably MS decides are the most stable/compatible).

I have basically this exact problem going on right now in Vista 64. I tried your method of installing the monitor driver in the order you described, which looked promising, but upon system reboot the problem reverted back to normal.

Here is a list of the drivers I've tried:

- 181.20 works, but is quite old now, and isn't really supported in Win 7, correct? I am upgrading very soon.
- 185.85 and 191.07 shut the monitor off mid-install.
- 195.39 (beta) reverts the monitor to basic non plug and play resolutions and recognizes the monitor as a non plug and play compatible device.

I have an additional element to report that may or may not hold true for others. I discovered somewhat by accident that the default Vista VGA drivers also recognize the DS-263N as a non plug and play compatible device. I was able to update the resolution by following that up with a monitor driver package install using the executable, but this didn't hold through the NVidia installs that inevitably had to follow that step.

Back