Win 7 locks up with USB thumb drives

TechJeff

Limp Gawd
Just wondering if anyone is seeing this problem. I have two USB thumb drives that are locking up Windows 7 (64bit) when you select "eject" and then remove them. It does NOT crash BSOD the OS, but it does freeze everything. All I can do is they ctrl>alt>delete and then restart which works. But the cursor is totally locked up when this happens.

So far, I have only tried two USB thumb drives and they both work just fine on my XP laptop. They also read/write just fine in Windows 7, it is ONLY when you do the "eject" and remove it they lock the OS.

I can't think of anything that would or should be causing this and was just wondering if anyone else may have this issue or seen a report? It seemed OK at first, but now it seems like this happens almost every time. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

No problem here. Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers? Did you do a clean install of win7?

Last edited:
Why do the 'eject' you should be able to just pull them out? I have no problems with thumb drives in 7

Why do the 'eject' you should be able to just pull them out? I have no problems with thumb drives in 7
I still always eject my drives. I've gotten to meetings with corrupted files, been given flash drives at meetings with corrupted files, and ruined the files on an iPod several times from just removing the drive. It's safer, and it even quicker/easier in Windows 7.

What kind of thumbdrive are you using?

I use a Patriot 8GB stick and it has no problems. I need to try my PNY with the U3 software on it and see if that causes a problem.

I can just pull the Patriot out and have no problems with corruption, but that PNY with U3 software seems to prefer being ejected before removal.

I am using a Sandisc Cruzer 2GB stick on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The reason of course for "eject" is for the very reason another poster stated. It is the PROPER way to do it to prevent possible data corruption. I have been doing this for years now in Mac OS X with external drives, data drives, external drives, etc. and Windows 7 does the same method for safety and it is a good practice to use always.

Anyway, all drivers have been installed properly. I am using "Boot Camp" and running on a fully dedicated hard drive on my Mac Pro 2008. Note, I did NOT have this problem when running Windows 7 64bit RC though. The thumb drives appear OK like I said since they work fine on my Windows XP Gateway laptop and I can still read/write to them just fine.

I have read where some others are seeing a few small quirks like this and it all depends on the person and their system specs. Right now I am not sure if there is really anything I can do except restart when it freezes on removal. As long as it remains in the USB port, no issues at all.

Hmm, did not see anything about win7 on bootcamp on a mac mentioned in the original post...

Have you considered posting someplace like:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I would think that by the original post most would think it was about win7 on a PC...

Just wondering if anyone is seeing this problem. I have two USB thumb drives that are locking up Windows 7 (64bit) when you select "eject" and then remove them. It does NOT crash BSOD the OS, but it does freeze everything. All I can do is they ctrl>alt>delete and then restart which works. But the cursor is totally locked up when this happens.

So far, I have only tried two USB thumb drives and they both work just fine on my XP laptop. They also read/write just fine in Windows 7, it is ONLY when you do the "eject" and remove it they lock the OS.

I can't think of anything that would or should be causing this and was just wondering if anyone else may have this issue or seen a report? It seemed OK at first, but now it seems like this happens almost every time. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm, did not see anything about win7 on bootcamp on a mac mentioned in the original post...

Have you considered posting someplace like:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I would think that by the original post most would think it was about win7 on a PC...

Actually, there should be no difference. Hardware is hardware and the Boot Camp is only Apple MOBO drivers and devices just like the install disc that comes with PC MOBOs. Only custom parts are the MOBO and firmware in the graphics card specific to Apple. I can't think of one reason why it would matter, but to be sure I will post it there too and find out. Like I said, it is on a DEDICATED HD, not a Boot Camp partition.

Also, you missed the part where I said it was working fine that way on Windows 7 RC on the same computer. But I am going to try some other thumb drives and test some more to continue looking into this.

I did not miss the part about the RC. You only assumed I did. Other people have had issues with the RTM that they did not in the RC.

My point was that pointing out it was on bootcamp might have gotten you replies relating to bootcamp rather than to a PC.

Don't know what issues this guy is having but it looks like Apple missed the October 22nd win7 release date. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=813251

On November 2nd lumberjack said:

"I just had to call Apple support because of my problem I posted in another thread and he told me that in approx. 2 weeks Apple will release its update.
Also, apparently only Win 7 32-bit will be supported."

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/boot-camp-support-windows-7-christmas-10233900

"Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp."

Wonder if this one is about a PC or bootcamp...
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/25775-usb-locks-up-win-7-a.html

USB Locks Up Win 7

"Turned out to be the USB drivers."

Last edited:
There have been some reported issues with P55 chipsets and Windows 7.
These were reported by iPhone users, where syncs would fail, but there
have been other USB issues reported with P55's.

You don't have a P55 Socket 1156 setup do you?

Thanks for the advice and links.

After taking some time to test a few things, I have found that for my situation it appears to be solved. What I did was uninstall the Snow Leopard Boot Camp 3.0 drivers and install the Boot Camp 2.x drivers for Windows Vista 64bit on the Leopard OS disc. So actually downgrading them seemed to work for some odd reason.

Right now, I am not seeing the reported issue I was having, but will test again once Apple releases their "official" Boot Camp drivers for Windows 7 later this year.

Jeff

Sounds like what happens is when you eject the thumb drive it also ejects the mouse/mouse pad.

Glad to see you've got a work around tho.

Back