Win 7 core files can corrupt occasionally, does it matter it's a SSD or Hard drive?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
meaning would Win 7 files corrupt if I am using SSD? I never ask this question before, as I always thought files do corrupt. But that's in the days of hard drives. In other words, can files still corrupt if you are using SSD, which is nothing but a big box of memory?

if you got files corrupting you have to ask yourself what can be the cause of the problem?

Just by switching to an SSD will not prevent ( or cure file corruption unless the drive you were replacing is defective) it as you still have the storage medium ->onboard drive electronics->cable->maiboard controller->CPU and ram to get through and vice versa.

Windos 98 did expose the downside to having a large buffer on a drive as the machine would shutdown faster than the drive could flush the buffer to the storage medium. MS then issued a patch that resolved this (As far as I know this was a 9x thing and not an NT thing as NT based OS wait until the drive indicates all data has been written before killing the power)

File corruption is usually caused by bad RAM or RAM settings, the RAM can be a HDD or SSD buffer, or on a controller card, or system RAM.

The RAM are directly from manufacturer (HP), very high quality. Thru out the past 9 mth., when I deleted say 50Gb w/o defrag. Win 7 then starts to act up, little bugs pops up during boot up, a re-boot fixes it. I got the same impression w/ XP Pro in the prev. machine. As the deleted files are also in Drive C

The other day, win 7 won't start up. Hard drive diag. shows normal. So I'm hoping SSD, which doesn't need defrag. to begin w/, will function better even if I del. 50GB regularly in Drive C

It doesn't matter who the memory is from, it can have problems. If you're seeing file corruption, you should run a memory diagnostic like memtest86. Files do NOT randomly get deleted or corrupted on a normal machine.

The RAM are directly from manufacturer (HP), very high quality. Thru out the past 9 mth., when I deleted say 50Gb w/o defrag. Win 7 then starts to act up, little bugs pops up during boot up, a re-boot fixes it. I got the same impression w/ XP Pro in the prev. machine. As the deleted files are also in Drive C

The other day, win 7 won't start up. Hard drive diag. shows normal. So I'm hoping SSD, which doesn't need defrag. to begin w/, will function better even if I del. 50GB regularly in Drive C

Windows 7 does not just corrupt data. There are millions of people running windows 7 without a single issue, what you are having is not something that just happens with all windows 7 machines. There are, however, also millions of windows 7 users that have various hardware and or software issues, which you seem to be experiencing.

ssd's do not magically fix corrupt data.

What you are describing is very vague. Best course of action is to try to isolate whatever the problem may be.

Do you mean you erase 50GB of data all at once and right after that there are errors. What errors specifically? What data are you erasing?

If you mean you erase 50GB throughout the 9 months, and errors are popping up over that period, this really doesn't tell us anything, those errors could be coming from anywhere.

You say the machine doesn't even boot any more, does it give you an error? When does it stop booting? Does it show windows logon?

First thing is to make sure your hardware is good, regardless of what manufacturer its from. First thing i usually do is run some basic hardware diags from a bootable CD, such as Ultimate Boot CD. Run a cpu diag, run memtest 86+, and run Drive Fitness Test. Make sure they pass.

After that, stability check, run 12 hours of prime95 smallFFT and 12hours of prime95 blend (make sure to check round-off error check). I also use OCCT and/or Intel Burn test sometimes (they are linpack based, and push the cpu harder usually).

If you're hardware is all good, then it's a software problem, which is usually a user error, some poorly programmed software you are installing, or malware. Find exactly when the error pops up and record the exact error. While we're on this subject, do you use an antivirus?

Sounds like maybe a SATA controller/cable issue. Could also be a ram issue, I had bad ram cause downloads and burned CDs to be corrupt

I del. 50Gb all at once. It's just data that I no longer needed in my drive C, I do that after I move the data to my blu-ray.

In the past few mth., I got about 3 errors just after boot up, it's the same error, I didn't write down the error. Essentially what it is saying is that "windows is trying to do such and such but can't ...". So all I did is re-boot, and everything works after that.

A few days ago, Win 7 can't boot up, and go directly to that auto fix error screen. Then it says it can't fix error. And shut down. In the end, I took that drive to another machine, do a chkdsk, and it "says" it fixes the error.

Level 1 and level 2 hard drive test from HP passed, no error.

I'll do a ram test now. I use CA Security Suite plus.

I just finished the regular HP RAM test and the Advance Lengthy RAM test that took 1+ hr.

All test is normal, no error.

What could happen is, some how there is some corrupted file during the 1st install, about 9 mth. ago. And I create a 70Gb mirror file on win 7.

The other day, after win 7 can't start up, I re-load that mirror file, and if the original is screw, so is the mirror file, that may some what explain this

However, having said the above, I have XP Pro acting up in similar issue in my old machine (a 2 x Dual Core AMD 290), and whenever I defrag, everything works fine after. So the above doesn't explain fully what really happens

I just finished the regular HP RAM test and the Advance Lengthy RAM test that took 1+ hr.

All test is normal, no error.

I personally don't trust any memory test diagnostic except for memtest86+ and its kin.

What is the HP memory test and this "Lengthy" test? Some sort of Windows test? I don't consider those trustworthy.

In my experience periodic file corruption is generally a memory issue, but something else is possible (HDD with issues, bad motherboard, etc). It could be anything.

^oem memory test are actually quite thorough as they do all sorts of pattern testing and they do not have to run on top of windows which by default excludes some memory areas from testing due to the OS locking them down as non accessable

If the HP test said he was good then he most likely is...

Have you tried a low level diagnostic on the HDD? ( the good ones are distructive to the data on the drive but in the end you will know if it is a drive issue or not)

The RAM are directly from manufacturer (HP), very high quality.

No, I would say that in general OEMs use the lowest quality ram that they can get that works most of the time (so they do not have to deal with tons of RMAs) and this is from work experience.

^ any proof to back this up? Never had an OEM machine die due to bad ram........it may not like to overclock like aftermarket ram but you can be rest assured that the stuff will work at stock speed...and I do TONS of work for Dell .......

Check your power supply voltage too. I had similar happen years ago with a system that ended up being a undervolted powersupply.

The hard drive (after the win 7 crash/unable to boot up), also c/w its own test. The level 1 basic test that takes 1 a few min., and the level 2 intensive test that took well over 1+ hr. Again, both tests passed w/ no error, then I re-install the mirror file.

The power supply is a high end PFC (Power factor correction) power supply, 800W. Back in late Dec. of last yr., it was making humming noise, it was replaced 3 times. Turns out it's the motherboard that interact w/ the power supply causes those noise. So a few mth. ago, the 3rd power supply was replaced, and a brand new motherboard was also replaced (the noise is gone as soon as the new MB is installed)

Now, during these whole time, there is BSOD (before and after) , so I am leaning not causing by power supply or the motherboard. The computer costs $6K, it's a Z800 professional workstation, so its quality should be very high end.

In my experience periodic file corruption is generally a memory issue, but something else is possible (HDD with issues, bad motherboard, etc). It could be anything.

I agree. I have seen blue screen due to incompatible bad memory in a no. of computer. but the pattern is different:

in the case of bad memory, the frequency of blue screen is more and more, but in my case, it's rare and random, and the freq. is the same this whole time

Back