Win 7 - Aero effects seems hitchy

wrangler

2[H]4U
Whenever I open a folder/window/browser less than full screen, right before it gets fully open it hitches just for a fraction of a second but definately noticeable. Does the same thing on closing. Kind of driving me nuts.

Vista is totally smooth. When you open/close something, the graphic is totally smooth and the window opens/expands/closes like whoosh.......I hope you understand what I mean.

Thats Aero right? Where when you open something, it kind of expands onto the screen instead of popping into existence.

I'm also getting a deal where right before WMV opens, I get flashing and hitching.

Anybody else???

I notice it occasionally, but it doesn't do it all of the time. It might be the video card drivers or Microsoft changed something to Aero.

Well 2 of us are on ati and 1 nvidia so its not specific to one card.
I notice it too, barely. I just moved to 7 for my main os since it ran great (after hours of disabling pointless services and disabling all kinds of annoying shiz)

I just moved to 7 for my main os since it ran great (after hours of disabling pointless services and disabling all kinds of annoying shiz)
And right there you lost any claim to support or anything. Leave Vista/7 alone; you're only hurting their performance by trying to "tweak" it. Turn all of that stuff back on and see if your problem goes away; I've never run into it on any of my machines.

And right there you lost any claim to support or anything. Leave Vista/7 alone; you're only hurting their performance by trying to "tweak" it. Turn all of that stuff back on and see if your problem goes away; I've never run into it on any of my machines.

It is actually not happening any more now that I finished configuring everything how I want. I have no printer, a hardware firewall & static network, and a pretty standard hardware set. I don't use any of the bundled ms products with windows so I dont want services providing them functionality either. Outlook, IE, windows media player... far better open source alternatives available for every one.
It's true each service individually has a negligible impact on resource usage, but a dozen or more is a different story.

I have a lot of ram but I want to use it for things that matter like folding or my games or spread between the 20 apps running on my monitors.
There is a noticeable decrease in OS ram usage now with all that stuff disabled. The sys boots pretty fast and is very snappy, trimming the services definitely helps there. I had vista running great too they both seem about equal in performance to me.

Other stuff is just annoying and a useless waste of resources. Windows Defender, Windows Firewall. UAC, system restore, indexing.
Now I have to figure out how to configure the new explorer to display every folder as normal "all items" details, after a month I finally had vista 64 looking how I want. There are only a handful of folders I want to be anything but "All Items" details layout :)

I come from gentoo where everything on the system was explicitly installed by me for a specific reason. It was like nirvana. But I cant play my games on it /cry
As a result I get kind of peeved when an os install includes a ton of stuff I dont want to use.

Don't get me wrong, I like what ms has been doing with windows kernel and ui mostly since 2k, then xp pro, vista 64, and now windows 7 64. I cannot stand their other bloated complicated software though. Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC & Media Player Classic Homecinema; I find them all more functional and much simpler to use than the ms alternatives.

Its great MS makes lots of software and includes it for free with the os purchase. But there should be a way to opt out of it. Im not even complaining if its all selected to be installed by default, but give us a way to not install it if we prefer open source alternatives!

Last edited:
I generally leave stuff alone....... but Windows Defender does have to be the most useless thing I've ever seen.

Anyway. At least I'm not crazy. I don't know if I can live with it though. I might test drive until SP2 for Vista comes out then go back to Vista until retail release.

It's just a little hitch but it is driving me batshit crazy.

It could have something to do with the fact that a lot of the chipset drivers in my Device Manager show no driver installed. I've tried installing the Vista drivers, even manually, but no go.

There are over a dozen services relating to those things I dont have, why leave them running?
Because they consume no resources when idle and other programs depend on the functionality?
Other stuff is just annoying and a useless waste of resources. Windows Defender, Windows Firewall. UAC, system restore, indexing.
Err....no, to all of the above. UAC and Indexing are both absolutely essential, and System Restore is useful.

I see it mostly when I close a window or app. Maybe it's just part of the effect.

I see it too... it's most noticeable for me when closing Windows Explorer windows, but I definitely see it on other apps too. 7100 x64, Nvidia 8800GTS with 181.72 drivers.

Why would this be? What parts of the OS will not work if this is disabled?
Search, which is just about everywhere. The Control Panel's unusable without it, the Start Menu is hideously inefficient compared to with it enabled, you can't search your e-mail in Outlook, etc., etc.

Whenever I open a folder/window/browser less than full screen, right before it gets fully open it hitches just for a fraction of a second but definately noticeable. Does the same thing on closing. Kind of driving me nuts.

Are you talking about when you open a window it kind of pops into place at the last second? I have that too. I think it's just part of windows 7.

Search, which is just about everywhere. The Control Panel's unusable without it, the Start Menu is hideously inefficient compared to with it enabled, you can't search your e-mail in Outlook, etc., etc.

Control Panel works just fine for me. I rarely use the Start Menu and yet even when I do it works just fine. Also, I don't give a damn about searching. I might use search about once a year.

The only thing you listed are your preferences. You didn't list one thing which requires indexing to be enabled for the OS to work.

I always turn indexing off. Probably because I don't use search. Ever. I keep everything organized so I always know where everything is and can access it quickly.

I don't know how the control panel is unusable without it?

Are you talking about when you open a window it kind of pops into place at the last second? I have that too. I think it's just part of windows 7.

Yes, thats right.........I sure hope it is not a feature. But I also hope it's not something with my system. (doubt that) I hadn't thought of looking around to see if there are different options for how windows open. Maybe there's a setting in Aero that will make it more like Vista.

Gonna go looking.

This is one of the first things I noticed with W7RC. I'm sensitive to $hit like this and it annoys me to all hell too. Vx64 was buttery smooth, but you're exactly right, W7RC has some hitchiness to it on occasion. My guess would be by the time it, and all of the vid/sound drivers mature, the issue will be solved - it will have to be.

Just because you aren't experiencing it, doesn't mean others aren't people.

I didn't say I disabled search, just indexing.
You can disable windows search and the search feature in control panel and start menu still work fine.

Because they consume no resources when idle and other programs depend on the functionality?Err....no, to all of the above. UAC and Indexing are both absolutely essential, and System Restore is useful.

UAC manditory? System Restore useful? They hardly do any good for the computer illiterate audience they are intended for. Why would a power user/enthusiast want it?

Your argument is they use no resources. But after killing all this junk, I still retain full functionality of my system (ie notice no difference before and after disabling everything), and it freed up over 100mb of memory and many processes. Also the action and security center popups complaining about stuff are gone, I can install and uninstall anything I want with no nag screens, and I set up my windows gadgets so all looks great. Again I disabled almost 1/2 of the win7 services and experienced no loss of functionality, including searching on start menu & control panel.

Here's a screeny
dtopeverest7.png

Back