Win 10 posts are way down? Any ideas WHY?

x509

2[H]4U
Title says it all. I'm curious if you guys have also noticed this trend and what you think of it.

x509

So are Windows 8.x threads, which has about the same marketshare as 10. :p

Maybe people using it aren't having problems, and/or the number of people on the fence have decreased? This subforum isn't one of the most active, so a small cluster of threads might have seemed significant.

Stale topic.

Up until the next W10 consumer update that breaks user setup hardware and randomly uninstalls user apps...then heatlesssun will be in full CYA mode for Microsoft.

I for one would like this little fire quenched early so let's just leave.
C'mon gang, let's ride skateboards and shit

C'mon gang, let's ride skateboards and shit
Not at the same time, please.

Windows 10 is performing well for me and I have no particular sticking issues currently (except 175% DPI scaling being weird but that's not affecting me personally). I'm just using it and being productive and seeing what they break in the next big update.

Up until the next W10 consumer update that breaks user setup hardware and randomly uninstalls user apps...then heatlesssun will be in full CYA mode for Microsoft.

I actually agree with much of what's said by people that don't like Windows 10. If one has lots of issues with the update process then obviously it needs to be better. If one is on an older version of Windows and doesn't won't to be constantly nagged to update to 10 then they shouldn't be. If one wants a switch to share no data with Microsoft and that absolutely none is shared, then that should be the case.

As much as I get called a Windows White Knight I think I look at things realistically. If you want a "pure" desktop OS that's free of all mobile influences and want to stick the classic, local apps and files and keyboard and mouse desktop, then x86 Windows won't be for you. The desktop is far from dead but's also far from being the center of the personal computing universe. Whatever issues opponents think break Windows 10, I guessing that most people aren't having those problems. Not having to sift through a list of which update to install and which not to, being able to use 2 in 1 devices and being able to leverage personal information and share across devices without much effort, I'm am being an fanboy to think that those are the things that most people want and will like?

So it's going to piss off some people but probably not to the extent many will move on to desktop Linux. Because for all the flaws Windows 10 has, current desktop OS alternatives have a fair share of their own. I'm not trying to make a value judgement here, I'm not saying its right, I'm simply saying that its a market decision that makes sense in a world where the desktop isn't going away anytime soon but that will never see and large growth and where most consumers will do many, if not the majority, of their computing tasks on their phone.

Whatever defense I've made on Microsoft, it's that the changes and things it's doing aren't so much arbitrary or nefarious, but related around how to keep a 30 year desktop OS relevant in a world where the desktop has been replaced by smartphones as today's PCs.

I've been using Win 10 for almost 2 months; still have my Win 7 Pro drive installed but haven't booted to it except to occasionally run updates. Been solid for me, and I've grown to like it as much as 7 now I've become more accustomed to its ways. Even getting along with the menu, though I need to tweak some programs I moved shortcuts over instead of reinstalling. Only issue I had was not MS fault - no updated drivers for my Canon MP600. Printer works fine, but no go for the scanner feature. I got around that by installing the Win 7 drivers in my Win 7 Virtualbox VM. Small inconvenience but it works fine. Even have WMC working in it dependably.

I think people gave up on trying to convince fans of the OS they weren't using that it was better. People don't care anymore; I certainly don't. I still prefer 7 by a large margin but 10 is good other than the disappearing taskbar/Start menu issue and the lack of control on updating. I don't care about the telemetry anymore; it can be tweaked enough to opt out nearly as well as what older versions share.

My primary machines though will continue running 7; updates are disabled, GWX Control Panel is installed, and no updates related to 10 or telemetry are there.

Last edited:
Also, to defuse the topic - even IF the talk about Win 10 had moved to the sidelines, it might be very well a byproduct of Windows' evolution over the last few years.
At least in the case of my acquaintainces, Vista has taught people the simple fact that aside from the OS, solid drivers are required, and (sadly?) vendors have to dust off their old notes and get legacy hardware running as well.
I remember it took a good few months even with Windows 7, so right now I see people waiting around without a clue.

I expect [H] to be a better community than the cesspool most of the Internet forums are, but sadly there's the same irrational FUD and nonsense hatemongering about Microsoft here :mad:

I've had plenty of criticism and plenty of praise for Win 8/10 etc, as anyone can see in my post history. Statements like 'then heatlesssun will be in full CYA mode for Microsoft' are absolute nonsense and slander. Say something with actual content or don't say anything.

There are issues with Win 10. There's also plenty that it does really well. But I wish people took the same attitude towards other companies who always get a free pass for much worse.

Win 10 has been relatively trouble free for me. I don't care for it much on the desktop but on my tablet and phone I find it enjoyable to use

I'm running 10 on two computers now, my sig desktop and the new laptop I just got primarily for car tuning. I had installed it on my desktop right after it came out but with SLI being completely hosed up I rolled back almost immediately. However, I started having all kinds of wacky permissions issues with my main user profile so I decided the weekend of Snowzilla to put 10 back on and it's been working great now, and it fixed the weirdness I was having.

I use iOS and Chrome so I don't really have much further reason to be paranoid. Also all my information was stolen when the USG's information got hacked last year so everything that could possibly be known about me is out in the wild anyway, right? I do only use local accounts though, even though I've got an MS account from my Xbox days.

New laptop came with it and it's also been working great - there I installed after the fact extra ram and an M.2 SSD by cloning and it all worked without needing to reactivate as expected.

We're all waiting for the next big thing to get pissed off about. I've already folded my tinfoil hat and have a surplus of pitchforks, torches, and tampons for the next big thing to come around.

We're all waiting for the next big thing to get pissed off about. I've already folded my tinfoil hat and have a surplus of pitchforks, torches, and tampons for the next big thing to come around.

For as old as Windows is and crappy as many in places like this claim, pick whatever version, there's a LONG history of people bitching a bout Windows, it is amazing the level of interest it still gets in the era where smartphones are the new PCs.

I use Windows because the alternatives simply don't have enough support for the hardware and software I use. Sure I don't want all of my personal data leaked everywhere and sure I want stuff to be stable and work reliably. But I don't obsess over every detail, I just want something that supports what I want to do. In that regard the OS is irrelevant.

I've had plenty of criticism and plenty of praise for Win 8/10 etc, as anyone can see in my post history. Statements like 'then heatlesssun will be in full CYA mode for Microsoft' are absolute nonsense and slander. Say something with actual content or don't say anything.
And here comes the #2 Microsoft apoligist.

There are issues with Win 10. There's also plenty that it does really well. But I wish people took the same attitude towards other companies who always get a free pass for much worse.

Ahh, the old George Bush did it first excuse.

More on topic:
My main Rig at home is W7 and will stay W7 until I am ready to switch to Linux fulltime . I picked up a Surface 3 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 for shits and giggles. Spending alot of time googling how to do simple shit and whatever. The direction Microsoft is taking however is not where I want to go long term.

Spending alot of time googling how to do simple shit and whatever. The direction Microsoft is taking however is not where I want to go long term.
Yeah, I don't mind a learning curve, but it seems they intentionally hide advanced features from the end user, which is a step backwards. Also, even though I disabled all the spy functionality supposedly during setup, I really don't feel very secure that MS isn't collecting assloads of data w/o my consent. I'm also pissed off that MS removed all Windows Media Center functionality, as my parents use that tons with their cablecard.

On the plus side though, I installed W10 on a couple machines just for testing and it couldn't have been simpler. It found drivers automatically that W7 does not and requires additional driver install. So that part was very smooth.

Unfortunately, it seems that all the hype about DX12 is all for not though, which is a real shame. When DX12 really makes a significant difference, I'll upgrade my main rig.

Yeah, I don't mind a learning curve, but it seems they intentionally hide advanced features from the end user, which is a step backwards. Also, even though I disabled all the spy functionality supposedly during setup, I really don't feel very secure that MS isn't collecting assloads of data w/o my consent. I'm also pissed off that MS removed all Windows Media Center functionality, as my parents use that tons with their cablecard.

So what's an example of something that's hidden? As for Media Center, that's something I've been using with CableCard for about 6 years now. Pretty cool but at the same time it's kind of hard to figure that Microsoft would continue to invest in it the age of cable cutting. I certainly don't use CableCard like I once did. In general I think that's a lot of problem that Microsoft faces. A lot of Windows stuff that was cool and useful 20, 15, 10 or even 5 years ago just isn't so much these days. And even if it is a niche thing compared to the whole of Windows, niche could still be a few million users.

On the plus side though, I installed W10 on a couple machines just for testing and it couldn't have been simpler. It found drivers automatically that W7 does not and requires additional driver install. So that part was very smooth.

Unfortunately, it seems that all the hype about DX12 is all for not though, which is a real shame. When DX12 really makes a significant difference, I'll upgrade my main rig.

For my personal devices, I've had overall less trouble with Windows 10 than any prior version of Windows in terms of installs and upgrades. Not perfect, but I have it running an a very wide variety of hardware and not too many issues. The initial release was a bit rough but it is a bit better now. At this point I can't go back to Windows 7 or 8.1, Linux isn't really viable for what I do. I do get why people have their dislike of 10, but if you do use it for what it was designed to do, it's pretty damned good.

Since Windows is now a rolling-release OS, you're not going to see big huge bursts of thread counts at a time of release as has been the traditional way things happen. The rolling-release thing means that with the incremental pushes there will be occasional discussion about said releases (what they break, what they fix, what new crap they push - or strongly attempt to push - on the unsuspecting and suspecting alike) and so on.

I still don't give a shit about it, basically. ;)

You want issues to complain about then run the insider preview. I've been on the fast ring since the day they made it public. The last update made it so my monitor doesn't sleep. I don't care much about the extra issues because I like to be a guinea pig for microsoft.

Other than that win 10 for the most part works fine. I'm not overly picky though, I currently have both an android and iphone, I did have a mac laptop but sold it as I finished school.

Windows 10 is fine, I tested Insider Preview on a spare PC and I switched my main gaming PC to Win10 as soon as it was officially released in July. I have nothing but good things to say about Windows 10.

If I ever had a problem with Windows 10, I might come into this forum and ask for help. I would take the lack of threads to illustrate that Windows 10 is a good OS without much issue. Coupled with the fact that inevitably talk comes up about telemetry and turns into useless arguments then it is easy to see why there are no threads.

Finally, if most Windows 7 users knew that right clicking the start button gives them access to all the stuff they think MS hid then maybe they would feel better about Windows 10.

Finally, if most Windows 7 users knew that right clicking the start button gives them access to all the stuff they think MS hid then maybe they would feel better about Windows 10.

It's kind of amazing how many people miss this. And it's actually a very slick little detail I think. It's a very clean separation between common and less common actions. It's would be nice if that menu were configurable.

I've been using Media Center with my HD Homerun and cable card since I installed Win 10 last December. I'm even getting all the protected channels including Showtime and TMC from TW like I did in Win 7. Not sure if the fixes will go on indefinitely, but by then maybe Silicondust will have their own software completed.

I've been using Media Center with my HD Homerun and cable card since I installed Win 10 last December. I'm even getting all the protected channels including Showtime and TMC from TW like I did in Win 7. Not sure if the fixes will go on indefinitely, but by then maybe Silicondust will have their own software completed.

Yeah, this does work for me as well. But I don't have a lot of confidence in the future of CableCard. With the arrival of smart TVs and IP based in home streaming, it's future is limited.

Not having to sift through a list of which update to install and which not to, being able to use 2 in 1 devices and being able to leverage personal information and share across devices without much effort, I'm am being an fanboy to think that those are the things that most people want and will like?

I never cared about Windows updates unless I read about one that caused problems. Obviously, forced auto updates makes it impossible to prevent this. I'd rather install updates when it is convenient than having to sit 5-10 minutes for an update to install when I'm out and need to use my laptop right then and there. Especially if it insists on updating as I am shutting down and running low on battery power. I think the average user will find forced updates to be much more of a pain than having the option to delay them to a logical time.

As for cloud work, that is easily accomplished on just about any OS. I can't think of how Win 10 does this better than Vista, unless you're referring to the MS apps no one uses. The OS has essentially nothing to do with distributed work flow, that is what programs and internet browsers are for.

2 in 1 devices? They have their uses, but it is just a marketing term for a dying device (tablet).

I never cared about Windows updates unless I read about one that caused problems. Obviously, forced auto updates makes it impossible to prevent this. I'd rather install updates when it is convenient than having to sit 5-10 minutes for an update to install when I'm out and need to use my laptop right then and there. Especially if it insists on updating as I am shutting down and running low on battery power. I think the average user will find forced updates to be much more of a pain than having the option to delay them to a logical time.

Updates that require a reboot can be scheduled for a restart and that restart can be delayed for up to a week.

As for cloud work, that is easily accomplished on just about any OS. I can't think of how Win 10 does this better than Vista, unless you're referring to the MS apps no one uses. The OS has essentially nothing to do with distributed work flow, that is what programs and internet browsers are for.

There's a good deal of functionality that cloud integration brings to Windows 10. Contact and calendar management, synching of certain personalization settings such as wallpapers, IE and Edge bookmarks, reading lists, etc. Cortana's voice control for web searching is pretty cool and she can also do things like track packages, set reminders and those things sync across devices.

Nothing earth shattering but it's the kind of functionality that mobile users have come to expect and use everyday.

2 in 1 devices? They have their uses, but it is just a marketing term for a dying device (tablet).

Convertible Windows devices have been around for a long time but the implantation of such devices is just now starting to become good. 2 in 1s can provide a lot of flexibility.

Back