WiMax

-(Xyphox)-

Supreme [H]ardness
Well i figured i would share with everyone here at [H]
I am not sure if anyone that post's here would benefit from it or not... But...
My Company is about to Launch a 2 Million Dollar 24 Tower WiMax Network in the Thumb of MI
This is going to have 100% coverage in the Thumb, Offering 7/1 Connections to many rural communities.
We are Michigan's Largest Wireless ISP that is FCC Licensed
http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/2011/08/19/news/local_news/doc4e4e4cac38917075801134.txt
www.speedconnect.com

Thanks Everyone!
How's everyone's thoughts and views on WiMax

wimax is leaps and bounds better then dial up lol, best of luck to you man. I wish we had affordable fast internet in my area.

I think the best point is the available to use a mifi device our a Mobile wimax device and have 7mg service on the go.

One of the thumb in 201....oh wait, wrong forum ;)

Good luck to you guys, good to see anything that advances technology forward and gives consumers options. It all benefits in the end.

Thumbs up *wink wink*

Verizon is doing the same thing in rural areas with their LTE system.
A little wifi box in your home and runs your wired or wireless network.
Cheaper than trying to run fiber or copper to houses so spread out.

I helped put something like this up awhile ago, but nothing that big. Pretty cool stuff. What OEM are you using for your primary hardware?

Wimax is a dead technology in my stand point. That is why you dont see any WISP's going for this because the licensing takes so freaking long to get cleared by the FCC.

every 3.65Ghz gear you want to locate you have to register every basestation along with AP/CPE to the FCC.

Also with Verizon LTE you will have a 5GB cap on that account. So if your a power user like downloading Netflix or Torrents its best you stay way from any mobile carrier due to the caps.

I have a friend up there in MI just started his own WISP up there in Saginaw area and he is already upto 75 customers and with 6 towers and he is growing every month. If your in the Saginaw Area and want to know about my friends WISP send me the PM and I will give you the info. Sorry cant give out the WISP name/contact on here due to personal reasons.

Also I am in the process of getting my own WISP going here in NW Ohio.

Were shooting for 5000 more with the coverage area, Many places we are going to cover only gets dialup
We have 11,000 Customers in the state now

Awesome, best of luck! They will be very happy to have the upgrade.

Wimax is a dead technology in my stand point. That is why you dont see any WISP's going for this because the licensing takes so freaking long to get cleared by the FCC.

Also with Verizon LTE you will have a 5GB cap on that account. So if your a power user like downloading Netflix or Torrents its best you stay way from any mobile carrier due to the caps.

What about for users in remote locations who only have 56K access? They would more than welcome the faster speeds, even with a 5GB limit. I doubt they would reach 1GB if they downloaded all month with 56K at optimal speeds. ;)

Maybe the tech isn't the best, but the tech is just a means to an end.
If there are customers willing to pay, then there is a market and money to be had, dead technology or not.

I would like to know if this new setup they are going to use is going to be true 7/1 as he is claiming to be. Believe or not some users dont want HSI due to high cost of it because 56k is mostly free now days.

every 3.65Ghz gear you want to locate you have to register every basestation along with AP/CPE to the FCC.

I have a friend up there in MI just started his own WISP up there in Saginaw area and he is already upto 75 customers and with 6 towers and he is growing every month. If your in the Saginaw Area and want to know about my friends WISP send me the PM and I will give you the info. Sorry cant give out the WISP name/contact on here due to personal reasons.

Also I am in the process of getting my own WISP going here in NW Ohio.

We are Already FCC licensed and own the Frequency we are using for the entire Thumb.

I would like to know if this new setup they are going to use is going to be true 7/1 as he is claiming to be. Believe or not some users dont want HSI due to high cost of it because 56k is mostly free now days.
This is going to be a true 7/1 connection. Also a 5/1 at a lower costs

Currently we offer 3mg/500k. All other wireless companies only over 500k/1m

Can you post up a screenshot of a customer who is getting the true 7/1 please. My friend who operating his own WISP is offering upto 8 meg and the lowest is 1meg but he told me that most of his customers are 2meg and they are fully getting 2meg.

SpeedConnect Announces 4G Network
Deployed by Huawei in Michigan

Network Will Support Ultra-broadband Internet, IP Telephony,
Gaming Services, and Streaming Multimedia

Saginaw, MI – SpeedConnect, a premium wireless broadband provider offering services designed to support high usage demands, announced today it will launch a 4G network, providing up to 10Mbps x 2Mbps connections, throughout Michigan. The new network, deployed by Huawei using the company’s SingleRAN solution, will offer comprehensive and secure fixed and mobile broadband solutions for homes and businesses in the Thumb of Michigan.

“We’ve been working very hard with Huawei to offer our existing customers and Thumb residents a better broadband connection,” said Bruce Moore, Vice President and General Manager of SpeedConnect. “SpeedConnect will not be satisfied to keep apace of emerging technologies and bandwidth demand; we’re aggressively spending and developing the best-for-streaming, highest-capacity networks possible.”

“It’s an extremely market-competitive broadband offering compared to the other wireless competitors available in the Thumb,” said Moore. “It’s a significant upgrade in download and upload speeds compared to anything else offered today in the Thumb, and the prepaid option is going to be very convenient for many of our existing and future customers.”

Under the agreement, Huawei will provide its SingleRAN solution which includes LTE and WiMAX core technology. Huawei will be wholly responsible for maintaining the new network, including installation, integration and commissioning new equipment. The 4G network launch is part of SpeedConnect’s extended investment in expansion, technology and coverage/capacity upgrades throughout Michigan. The new network will provide nearly 100 percent coverage in the three counties of Huron, Tuscola, and Sanillac.

John Ogren, SpeedConnect President and CEO, adds: “SpeedConnect is privately financing the 4G network buildout. I think it’s important to note that it’s private money; there are no federal loans or subsidies here. This is our personal investment.”

“Rural wireless broadband has been an important market for Huawei,” said Charles Ding, President of Huawei North America. “We’ve been focused on providing SpeedConnect with cost-effective and competitive solutions so they can provide customers a premium broadband connection that’s designed to support high usage demands.”

About the 4G Network:

• The 4G network will support ultra-broadband Internet access, IP telephony, gaming services, and streaming multimedia.
• SpeedConnect will offer many options to connect to the 4G network including indoor modems, outdoor modems, USB devices and personal MiFi routers.
• MiFi is a personal wireless router that acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. The MiFi can be connected to SpeedConnect’s 4G network and provide Internet access for up to 5 devices. The MiFi works at a distance up to 10m or 30 ft., and will provide Internet or network access to any WiFi-enabled peripheral device.
• SpeedConnect’s 4G service will provide up to 10Mbps x 2Mbps connections.
• SpeedConnect will deploy 4G technology on 24 tower locations throughout the Thumb. Communities that will be served include: Frankenmuth, Pigeon, Unionville, Sebewaing, Akron, Fairgrove, Caro, Cass City, Bad Axe, Ubly, Harbor Beach, Kinde, Kingston, Clio, Mayville, Millington, Marlette, Sandusky, Deckerville, Minden City, Argyle, Snover, Carsonville, Dayton, North Branch, and Peck.
• SpeedConnect anticipates offering a unique prepaid service option on the new 4G network. Customers will be able to “pay as you go,” and have the ability to recharge their broadband account without monthly recurring fees.
Well-established in Michigan, with an Iowa expansion over the last 18 months, SpeedConnect has provided wireless broadband and telephone service since 2001.

About SpeedConnect
SpeedConnect, a leading provider of wireless broadband services, owns and uses FCC-licensed 2.5 GHz EBS and BRS spectrum and technology. SpeedConnect, LLC is a Michigan Limited Liability Corporation and is principally owned by Robert G. Liggett and John A. Ogren. For more information, please visit: http://www.speedconnect.com/

About Huawei
Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established end-to-end advantages in telecom networks, devices and cloud computing. We are committed to creating maximum value for telecom operators, enterprises and consumers by providing competitive solutions and services. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 140 countries, serving more than one third of the world’s population. For more information, visit Huawei online: www.huawei.com. Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/huaweipress and YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HuaweiPress.
-###-

Not Yet, we Currently are in Michigan, Iowa, Illinois and our latest launch was in Nebraska

Isn't there a inetnet company there that does dsl or something ? They do voip phones too...

Digital realm.net. These guys

Last edited:
Isn't there a inetnet company there that does dsl or something ? They do voip phones too...

Digital realm.net. These guys

In the thumb where i live there is no DSL in most towns,
Digital Realm is in Ann Arbor, We are launching in the Thumb

I seriously doubt ohio even gets touched by 4G like these guys only 4G is in major cities in ohio (by verizon and att). I am also from rural nw ohio and I dont see it even happening.

Maybe ne Ohio will get something like this

I seriously doubt ohio even gets touched by 4G like these guys only 4G is in major cities in ohio (by verizon and att). I am also from rural nw ohio and I dont see it even happening.

I thought the same for many years in the thumb, its very rural.
Farm land and small towns... It will happen someday

LONG Overdue Update...
First tower was deployed yesterday. Got 5 Crew's doing a tower a day, hoping to have all tower's done in the next two weeks. More to come!

Verizon is doing the same thing in rural areas with their LTE system.
A little wifi box in your home and runs your wired or wireless network.
Cheaper than trying to run fiber or copper to houses so spread out.

Stuff were using is 4G LTE and Wimax gear
Speed's and performance are amazing

Performance has been great, Seeing 10MB speed's up to 15 miles away from towers. Very happy with everything so far

Very nice, too bad it isn't offered in our area, that's even faster than my cable connection.

Back