Votes: 61 12.3%
  • Yes - upgrading from something much older

Votes: 199 40.2%
  • No - Everything I have at the moment is good

Votes: 223 45.1%
  • No - I like AMD and it's good for the moment

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
Certainly enough of an upgrade over SB for me to hold out another month or two. Would have been nice if Anand included some overclocking in the review. My guess is they probably weren't allowed to.

it does pretty well in games but look at those quicksync numbers and the integrated gpu is not bad for games pretty cool indeed

Guess it is all good to talk about since we don't have processors from Intel yet.

Ivy Bridge will clock no better than Sandy Bridge, in fact, it will likely clock worse as it will not be able to handle voltages much above 1.35 without a good chance of burning up the processor. 5 to 15% IPC improvement as clock scales. You will likely have a lot better shot of pushing a SB processor across the 4.8GHz threshold and keeping it stable than you will with Ivy Bridge. However, it looks to be pretty easy clocking up to the 4.5GHz level or so many times requiring little voltage tweaks at all.

I'll likely upgrade to IB-E (which I assume will be Socket 2011) instead, but ONLY if Intel gets their head out of their ass and brings pricing and performance back into the Socket 1366 price gradient. I'm not going to pay $700 for a bloody processor just to get a hex-core (oct?) that still has less cache than the Extreme Edition and is partially locked. Where's my Core i7 920/930 equivilent, compared to the 960 at launch?

I'm hoping Intel has noticed that their SB-E offerings have been expensive and not really worth it compared to 1366 platforms or Mainstream SB 1155 and decides to roll back on the pricing a bit. I'd like to see all 8 cores unlocked, HT'ed - they nixed the other two for SB/SB-E for yield, saying "We'll get it in Ivy during the refining of the process", so time to man up. I'd like to see an 8-core(16thread) proc that has close to if not the exact same amount of cache/QPI bandwidth etc... as the Extreme Edition part, completely unlocked (or, I'd settle for "mostly unlocked" since it seems Intel banks on the unlocked multi thing being only for EE, but really the time for that is over), that is just initially clocked slower, standard and turbo - of course I'll only buy if it has good OC potential anyway, but if they can make a $250-350 part with the specs above, a new "Core i7 920" second coming, I'll definitely buy and so will many enthusiasts. They could sweeten the deal a bit by making the damn chipset/boards a little bit less expensive. $400+ for a high end X79 at the moment, bloody hell. RAM thankfully, even quad channel has come down considerably - I picked up a $175 kit of 16gb 1866 GSkill for around $89 on special, so thankfully that's not a sticking point financially for adoption of the new platform.

Right now though, I want to see a complete bloody about-face on Intel from the stupidly high SB-E prices and lockdown performance.

"....or are looking for a long term socket, which LGA1155 is not."

Could someone please tell us which socket is considered long term then? Not really wanting to buy a platform and have it go tits up in 4 months.

LGA 1155 is already slated to be replaced next year with LGA 1150/Haswell. That is next year though. The most future-proof platform is LGA 2011, but cost of entry is much steeper as compared to LGA 1366.

1150?! They keep removing pins, probably so it has less capability than the "premium" socket. Really though, what can they do with 1150 that they couldn't do with 1155 or 1156? I know people complain about AMD's backward compatibility thinking that they might try to stay competitive instead, but competitive isn't Intel's problem.

They have us by the short-hairs.

LGA 1155 is already slated to be replaced next year with LGA 1150/Haswell. That is next year though. The most future-proof platform is LGA 2011, but cost of entry is much steeper as compared to LGA 1366.

This.

Judging by some of those benchmarks, though, it's hard to justify paying the price. Granted, they weren't exactly cheap pre-IB benchmarks either.

They really messed up with the 2011 platform big time. 1156 sucked donkeydoo and 1366 was quite awesome so the bump in price was justifiable, this time it's the lower end mainstream platform that's the better buy in nearly all situations and with 1155 SB Xeons floating around I'm starting to see fewer reasons for 2011 altogether. This IB release pretty much confirms to me that 2011 is a pass in almost all regards.

Kyle, I don't think the architectural quirks and the finnicky nature of the 22nm tri-gate chips with regards to voltage should hamper IB as far as performance goes. I think the notion that IB would be a monster overclocker was a false assumption based on a die shrink + redesign, but for the most part this is SB with a slight bump in IPC under a lower thermal envelope. The people who are disappointed by these results and potential OC headroom didn't understand the purpose of IB in the first place: performance-per-watt and HD4000.

1150?! They keep removing pins, probably so it has less capability than the "premium" socket. Really though, what can they do with 1150 that they couldn't do with 1155 or 1156? I know people complain about AMD's backward compatibility thinking that they might try to stay competitive instead, but competitive isn't Intel's problem.

They have us by the short-hairs.

If I recall, there was an article about Haswell on Anandtech or a similar site.

Apparently going from the SNB/IVB architecture to Haswell also meant reducing certain parts of the CPU for efficiency and enlarging/improving other areas for performance. Other pats of the CPU got rearranged thus justifying a new CPU socket. Also, some parts of the CPU got combined into a single section of the chip. This meant that Haswell is not backwards compatible with SNB/IVB sockets.

sharkbay_6.jpg

Souce: http://vr-zone.com/articles/detailed-intel-haswell-specs-revealed/13908-3.html

That's the only reason I can come up with as to why there is a new socket for Haswell. For higher end CPU market, socket 2011 should be more than enough given that SB-E supports quad channel already and the pins to support that many channels.

If I had money to drop I would run to MC the day the 3770K launches to get it, but I don't. The 2500K is more then capable CPU anyway though.

As a current 2500k @ 5Ghz user, I'm not in a rush to upgrade. If Ivy Bridge turns out to be a great overclocker and I can work out a cheap upgrade by selling my 2500k somehow then I might do it.

Wait...why does it seem like I'm the only one who read this and went..."well, fuck Ivy Bridge"!?

Because there are others claiming "OMG 7 ghz on dry ice, therefore it must be able to do 5 ghz+ on air."

There have also been other posts claiming 5 ghz at 1.275 volts, but no actual screenshots that I have seen so far.

I'm more inclined to believe Kyle, but I haven't seen anything backing up his position yet, and everything else on the internet claims to prove the opposite.

I came really close to buying a $500 i3 laptop this weekend, as my current is a T2300 from 2006, but I'm just going to wait it out, just because it will use a lot less power than the i3-2330 I was going to get potentially. Besides by waiting to summer I can probably get something more high end. I do CPU intensive things, but even the low end systems can handle it. High end in this case would be something smaller like a ultrabook.

If I recall, there was an article about Haswell on Anandtech or a similar site.

Apparently going from the SNB/IVB architecture to Haswell also meant reducing certain parts of the CPU for efficiency and enlarging/improving other areas for performance. Other pats of the CPU got rearranged thus justifying a new CPU socket. Also, some parts of the CPU got combined into a single section of the chip. This meant that Haswell is not backwards compatible with SNB/IVB sockets.

Souce: http://vr-zone.com/articles/detailed-intel-haswell-specs-revealed/13908-3.html

That's the only reason I can come up with as to why there is a new socket for Haswell. For higher end CPU market, socket 2011 should be more than enough given that SB-E supports quad channel already and the pins to support that many channels.
Let's be honest here, the only reason why they are changing socket types is making more money, if LGA775 could work with early P4 CPUs to core 2 quad and extreme Q9XXX, the sockets like 1156, 1155 and 1150 are pure nonsense, they should leave the 1155 and just not connect the remaining 5 pins, simple as that. (notice they also moved the mechanical socket notches on the bottom so you physically wont put CPU inside)
Seems back in those times Intel couldn't afford doing crap they happily are doing today.

As my i7 920 system is over 3 years old and certain parts I believe are starting to feel the strain I'll go for a 3770K setup when it comes out, the other advantage besides increased performance being the lower power usage as well.

I am in the process of selling off my S1366 rig and moving to a S2011 setup. Eventually I hope they release 8 core 22nm cpu's for 2011, and I may get one of those.

It will be hard for me not to upgrade.

I have a Q6700 @3.2 with 2 x 460gtx. So it will just be MB, CPU, and Ram.

Considering BF3 is the only thing I use that will see a jump in performance I could very easily wait....if it wasn't for that fact I have so much money right now.

I upgraded about a month ago to a 2600k from a E6600. I won't upgrade for Ivy Bridge, but probably for the next lineup(name is escaping me..)

Let's be honest here, the only reason why they are changing socket types is making more money, if LGA775 could work with early P4 CPUs to core 2 quad and extreme Q9XXX, the sockets like 1156, 1155 and 1150 are pure nonsense, they should leave the 1155 and just not connect the remaining 5 pins, simple as that. (notice they also moved the mechanical socket notches on the bottom so you physically wont put CPU inside)
Seems back in those times Intel couldn't afford doing crap they happily are doing today.

The notches thing is perfectly reasonable. If they aren't going to make it pin compatible, they have to make it physically incompatible as well, because you know someone is going to be stupid enough to try it.

1150 uses DDR3 and fits in an ATX case so it's probably not that important. Who wants a 3 year old motherboard anyway? It's not like I upgrade often enough to make any real use of backward compatibility.

While we're fairly certain about the launch-schedule of Intel's "Ivy Bridge" Core processor family and 7-series chipset from an older article, which pin-points at April 29 to be the day full-fledged reviews (including overclocking performance, and benchmarks that cover new features) can be published, there's still a looming doubt over that day being the one on which you could buy say, a Core i7-3770K off Newegg.com. A latest slide, probably sourced from Intel's Retailedge, lays that doubt to rest. April 29 is indeed the day you will be able to buy most significant "Ivy Bridge" Core i7 and Core i5 models. Certain other models are slated for June 3. Dual-core Core i3 and Pentium processors based on Ivy Bridge silicon are slated for "Holiday". As on April 29, you also be able to buy motherboards based on 7-series chipset, which support Ivy Bridge processors out of the box.

I'm sure it basically tells us what we already know. Picture on the link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/162074/D...-for-Ivy-Bridge-Core-Processors-Surfaces.html

honestly idk what to say. i am still used to the 1990's mentality of PCs not being able to do things because they are too old , i.e. "not enough ram to run this program", or "chipset not supported", "your video card isnt good enough".

but i have yet to find something my E6600 + GTX280 can't run. i played crysis, deus ex, skyrim etc .. @1080p

more than a new CPU, i need demanding applications. who knows how many 19000XTX and 6800GT were sold by Oblivion . . but today? (haven't tried BF3, not my cup o tea)

-----------------------------------------------

i voted Yes.

i will probably build a new PC just because i like to build them. will probably look into modding, if i can bring myself to shut up about WC costs vs performance.

I am really looking forward to upgrading to a new Ultrabook™. I have been using an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 in a old Toshiba laptop that I am looking forward to replacing with something thinner, lighter and much quicker on boot up.

I have to upgrade...wife wants a desktop again. So she'll get my QX9650, I'll get a i5 ivy bridge probably.

I don't NEED to upgrade. My i5 750 at 4.0 plays everything I have just fine. IF IB overclocks at more than 5.0 there is still a good chance I'll get it. I'm lucky to be in a position where want is stronger than need.

I just built an i7-2600k system cooled with a h100 w/16gb mushkin redline 2133mhz ram, 180gb corsair force gt sata3 ssd, asus maximus IV extreme z, w/ antec 1200 v3 case, antec 1000w psu, and a 7970, I couldn't wait anymore months to upgrade from the ancient x3 phenom II I had, and this sucker OC'd to 4.6Ghz without breaking a sweat, highest temp i've seen under load is 56C! could totally hit 5Ghz np - Sandy Bridge ROCKS! :D

EDIT : NO voltage change required to hit 4.6Ghz stable :D

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to upgrading to a new Ultrabook™. I have been using an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 in a old Toshiba laptop that I am looking forward to replacing with something thinner, lighter and much quicker on boot up.
I think this was original intention of making Ivy Bridge, to have enhanced IGP for ultrabook powering.

Bring on the Ivy Bridge E with 12 CORES and 16 RAM slots!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'll grap a 3770K while waiting.

I despise the term "ultra"book. It makes 0 sense and doesn't reflect the actual capabilities of this units. :p

I'm waiting for Haswell at the earliest (have 2600k) but I will be upgrading from my gtx580 to something newer when I feel it's needed (probably in the summer or fall).

Yay the constant upgrade. Always tell myself I won't. Always end up doing it. I'll wait till the "2700k" Ivy chip comes out.

I'm not going to upgrade a 5.1Ghz 2600k for 5-10% more performance.

If I upgrade, I want 6+ cores.

Back