will you be getting Ivy Bridge?

Upgrade to IB?

• Total voters
If someone offers a smokin' deal (say 25%+ off) on Sandy Bridge after Ivy Bridge hits the market, I'd consider building with an SB.

On a Z77 motherboard, of course. I don't give a fig about PCI-E 3.0, let alone multiple PCI-E 3.0 video cards, and I could be persuaded to overlook the difference in power consumption. Don't care about overclocking either. But the Z77 chipset has other nice features, even without an IB.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of the total lifecycle cost of roughly equivalent (performance-wise) Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge CPUs. I typically hang on to hardware for as long as it keeps working, so I may actually be better off over the long haul, by paying more now for an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Exactly.

Z77 has a lot to offer (any LGA1155 K CPU) that has exactly squat to do with PCI-E 3.0 - for a while, I had been considering an i5-2500K/Z77 tag-team for precisely that reason. And while there are within-brand premiums for Z77 over Z68, that's now mostly reflecting several Z68 motherboards going away (BIOSTAR's own TZ68A, TZ68A+RCH, and TZ68K are all on the closeout block, as are ASUS' P8Z68/GEN3 subseries), and even a budget price war (ASRock's Z77 Pro3, Extreme3, and Extreme4, ASUS P8Z77 V-LX/LK/LE, BIOSTAR's TZ77A and TZ77XE3/XE4 - nine Z77 ATX motherboards under $150, and that doesn't count anything that Gigabyte or MSI is doing).

The fact that Ivy Bridge does NOT require tall overclocks to ring up higher IPC numbers is (for those of us that overclock more sanely by choice) can, depending on price, make i7-3770K (and i5-3570K) a saner choice than the Sandy Bridge K CPUs (so far, the only review that touched upon i5-3570K at all is from TechSpot - I want a more in-depth review) -price will now be the determining factor on the CPU end.

Absolutely no. Next to no performance increase (at same clocks) compared to my 4.7ghz 2500K, be it multihreading or raw single thread speed. There is simply no point.

Just picked up a 3570K at a local shop, I can't wait to get home from work. :D

I want SB-E.

Exactly.

Z77 has a lot to offer (any LGA1155 K CPU) that has exactly squat to do with PCI-E 3.0 - for a while, I had been considering an i5-2500K/Z77 tag-team for precisely that reason. And while there are within-brand premiums for Z77 over Z68, that's now mostly reflecting several Z68 motherboards going away (BIOSTAR's own TZ68A, TZ68A+RCH, and TZ68K are all on the closeout block, as are ASUS' P8Z68/GEN3 subseries), and even a budget price war (ASRock's Z77 Pro3, Extreme3, and Extreme4, ASUS P8Z77 V-LX/LK/LE, BIOSTAR's TZ77A and TZ77XE3/XE4 - nine Z77 ATX motherboards under $150, and that doesn't count anything that Gigabyte or MSI is doing).

The fact that Ivy Bridge does NOT require tall overclocks to ring up higher IPC numbers is (for those of us that overclock more sanely by choice) can, depending on price, make i7-3770K (and i5-3570K) a saner choice than the Sandy Bridge K CPUs (so far, the only review that touched upon i5-3570K at all is from TechSpot - I want a more in-depth review) -price will now be the determining factor on the CPU end.

You're confusing IPC with IPS. IPC is static and independent of frequency. IPS is the result of multiplying IPC by frequency.

Wish I had a MC near me or I'd just go with the 2500k+mobo deals they'be been having.

Depending on the prices, I might as well go with IB if they're similarly priced to SB.

Absolutely getting one. Already dumped my 2600k (it was an early chip and didn't OC well, not even over 4Ghz) for enough to get a 3770k. Faster clock for clock, less power, I can control the heat and have no desire to clock past perhaps 4.3Ghz.

My mobo is a Gigabyte P67. One last hurrah for it before the socket changes. I only run one video card and don't care about USB 3.0. If I need it, I'll get a card.

I went from a q9550 to a 2500k, so I skipped a few generations because the q9550 is a pretty awesome CPU and a great overclocker. The same applies to the 2500k, I think I will be skipping the next two releases.

Absolutely getting one. Already dumped my 2600k (it was an early chip and didn't OC well, not even over 4Ghz) for enough to get a 3770k. Faster clock for clock, less power, I can control the heat and have no desire to clock past perhaps 4.3Ghz.

My mobo is a Gigabyte P67. One last hurrah for it before the socket changes. I only run one video card and don't care about USB 3.0. If I need it, I'll get a card.

Wow, I know this is somewhat OT, but I've never heard of someone not being able to top 4ghz on a 2600k. I just have to wonder if you maybe missed something that stopped you from pushing the chip further, and if you'd run into the same issues on IB.

I have a 2600k sitting here with a GA-Z68XP-UD3 waiting to come back from RMA. Although my board supports Ivy, I don't think i'll waste my money on the upgrade. This 2600k is PLENTY fast.

right now im on a 2600k at 4.5 ghz, going to an ivy based platform seems like a lateral move.

im more interested in haswell than ivy at this point.

After almost pulling the trigger, I decided to wait for the TOCK. My current rig has had so much life in it, it´s almost annoying. However if it can't run Borderlands 2, even with a new GPU I am not waiting any longer.

Instead I am building my mother an IB system with a MSI Z77 board, so at least I get to build and tune one :)

After almost pulling the trigger, I decided to wait for the TOCK. My current rig has had so much life in it, it´s almost annoying. However if it can't run Borderlands 2, even with a new GPU I am not waiting any longer.

Instead I am building my mother an IB system with a MSI Z77 board, so at least I get to build and tune one :)

May I ask what CPU mom is going to use lol. Maybe a H61/71 chipset would suffice.

I feel the exact same way. Every single new release of CPU's tempts me to pull the trigger to upgrade. But then when I really think about it, my current CPU is still performing well with the programs/games I use. Waiting to see how GW2 will perform.

Upcoming games I am looking forward to will be released in 2013 (GTA V, Crysis 3, etc.). By the time they come out, Haswell or next gen GPU's may also get released. That's why I don't see the point of upgrading now.

I feel the exact same way. Every single new release of CPU's tempts me to pull the trigger to upgrade. But then when I really think about it, my current CPU is still performing well with the programs/games I use. Waiting to see how GW2 will perform.

Upcoming games I am looking forward to will be released in 2013 (GTA V, Crysis 3, etc.). By the time they come out, Haswell or next gen GPU's may also get released. That's why I don't see the point of upgrading now.

I'm once again tempted as well but for the most part my Q9550 is doing fine. About the only game series I come close to buying when they release is the Total War games. If I upgrade now, it won't be for the CPU, it will be more for the motherboard and chipset features - more RAM, USB 3.0 and Sata III.

Will I? No, on account of personal circumstances that present no immediate need to do so.

They're nice chips though. I wasn't blown aways by the offering, but thats ok with me, seeing as I have no pratical application for IB over my current setup.

I will be going from an AMD Phenom 9850 BE to the i7-3770k, sure hope I notice a difference so its worth my while. :)

no, I currently have a 2600K, mild overclock @ 4.2. Due to a motherboard issue, I even have a Z77 motherboard with it :) but since I don't use iGPU, no reason to go for the IVY

What's the issue with your Z77 ST? Curious since mine is sitting here waiting for a processor.

May I ask what CPU mom is going to use lol. Maybe a H61/71 chipset would suffice.

Apparently you missed my post on the same page (above his) - there are bennies to Z77 outside of PCI-E 3.0; I actually recently chimed in (on another site) with a build featuring a Z77-based ATX motherboard - for a lab server. If you're going to actually *use* the iGPU, there are still reasons (desktops or servers) where Z77 makes more sense than an H chipset - and none of these have anything to do with PCI-E 3.0.

A major benefit that is part and parcel of Z77 is Intel Rapid Storage Technology 2.0 - it takes the ez-iRST feature that Gigabyte originated with their Z68-based motherboards and makes it available to all Z7x-chipset motherboard owners. (If you migrate/upgrade, you no longer have to reinstall everything as part of the migration, not even when adding an SSD - that's a monster aggro-saver for upgraders.) iRST 2.0 itself justifies Z7x - even without Ivy Bridge.

For me (and most of my friends) PCI-E 3.0 is a great big non-issue (pretty much because we run single-GPU setups (even the gamers)). However, most of us would like to overclock to SOME degree (hence the interest in the K processors), even though none of us are at the bleeding edge. Then there's the reality of price - the entire Z chipset lineup (from practically everyone except Intel itself) costs less - not more - than P67, and barely more than H6x - and that's at Newegg, not MicroCenter.

Then there is SATA-6.0g and USB 3.0 support - both are natively supported at the chipset level (two ports for each). I have no need for either one - yet; however, even I'm sensible enough to know that won't last (on the SSD front by itself). Because of Z77 and iRST 2.0, I can migrate my *existing* setup, add an SSD, install iRST 2.0, and reboot - without reinstalling Windows (not even the Consumer Preview). USB3 support in *thumb drives* - especially 8 GB and larger - is my likeliest use for the specification (if the drives are bootable) - a bootable USB2/3 thumb-drive can banish aggro from OS installation - no matter what OS you are installing.

Too many bennies form Z7x (and Z77, the most prevalent in particular) to consider anything else - Ivy or no Ivy.

was gonna buy a IB, then I found out 1155 is EOL. Now i'll just grab Haswell when it comes. I'd much rather be at the beginning of a socket cycle, instead of the end.

Won't buy an IB desktop upgrade. I can wait for Haswell in a year. May buy an IB laptop later this year if I find an 8+ hour battery life UltraBook I like.

You are absolutely right. She might actually get by with a miniITX and an atom for her surfing needs (if that's even compatible). It's overkill, but on the other hand the last computer I build for her has lasted close to 10 years now. Plus I feel good about having relatively powerful backup computers within "reach" if someone sets off an EMP bomb close to my place hehe. I am aiming for 8 years with this build, which is why I want brand spanking new with native USB3. And something with a good power to performance ratio. CPU is undecided so far, but probably a 3570K.

Damn you Q9550... you are too strong! GTA V will hopefully be nothing but brilliant. Crysis 3... shudders, hope it's not consolish. Haswell with a GK110 or "worse" sounds good to me for a press buy button moment.

Yes,

updating i7-975x to i7-3770k. Will be using Asus Z77 Sabertooth/EVGA Signature+ 680/Corsiar Dominator 16gb 2133/Corsair Force GT 240gb/Recon 3d. Have all but the CPU atm. Will pick up at MC when they go on sale....

Leaving other gaming PCs alone. 3930k/3820/2600k/2500k for other 4 systems. Will replace 3820 with another 3930k, only 499.99 at MC atm. Will EOL my i7-875k/i7-975x, nice to have used them for 2 years and need new homes...

Last edited:
Im running a 2600K @ 4.5 and see no compelling reason to go Ivy Bridge at this time

I just saw a review between the i7 2600k and the i7 3770k. There is only a 10 - 12% increase at most and the IGPU is still no competition with AMD's IGPU. If the price is neck and neck with the IBs and the SBs I would get the IBs of course. But if it's a $100 dollar difference, I rather just stick with the SBs.

Coming from i7-2600K overclocked to 4.8GHz, I'm not going to get it. Seems like I wouldn't gain much, if at all. I'll wait until I can see a dramatic difference when upgrading. I came from a Core2Duo @ 2.6, so I saw a great improvement before. I'm glad I didn't wait. I've been enjoying the Sandy Bridge for a while, but wondering if I upgraded too early and should have waited. I would have gone Ivy Bridge, but I bit early and I'm not suffering buyers remorse at all. Nothing against Ivy, if I were upgrading now, that's what I'd get.

Yes,

updating i7-975x to i7-3770k. Will be using Asus Z77 Sabertooth/EVGA Signature+ 680/Corsiar Dominator 16gb 2133/Corsair Force GT 240gb/Recon 3d. Have all but the CPU atm. Will pick up at MC when they go on sale....

Leaving other gaming PCs alone. 3930k/3820/2600k/2500k for other 4 systems. Will replace 3820 with another 3930k, only 499.99 at MC atm. Will EOL my i7-875k/i7-975x, nice to have used them for 2 years and need new homes...

wow why do you have so many computers and at the same generation

wow why do you have so many computers and at the same generation

Hmm, I usually have 8~10 desktops at all times. Use for work since I work at home, coding-application design, testing new OS/Apps, if friends drop by for some gaming, et al. Plus usually 1 or 2 dual socket workstations for my video/3d modeling work. 6 physical servers atm, 10g network, iSCSI 24TB SAN, 250mb Fiber Optic Internet. Usual business at home setup...

I work on a 12~18 month cycle for most of my PCs, been that way for years. Got 2600k at release. And AMD FX was not a very compelling alternative. Bought FX-8150 and replaced with 2500k within 30 days. Got 3930k at realease and then 3820 to replace i7-950. So, out with i7-975x and i7-875k, nice to get rid of oder equipment. Still working, but would like more computing power if I need it. Last unit will be a i7-990x that will go once IB-E or Haswell has been released.

Same with Video Cards, just got 4 680 GTX to replace 580 GTX 3gb. Running a few 7970s also. Just waiting on either 7990/690 to replace some more video cards as I can.

Laptops are replaced when better models are available, waiting on 675M/7970M with IB laptops, will order 2 at least. Maybe a 3rd sometime in Aug/Sep...

Last edited:
Back