Will vSphere 6 be announced at VM World?

Database

Detroit Redbirds!!!
Thoughts? Just curious, I just registered for the 5.1 vSphere What's New class to update my VCP.

Bottom line is that anyone that knows can't say. But going by the session info and blog posts on VMware's site you can expect an announcement. If I were you I'd go ahead and update the VCP with that course.

Historically, there's never been a .2 version of ESX(i). Just sayin...

Not that I know for sure or work for or know anyone that knows for sure. But I'd put a large sum of money that it's version 6. I need to get through the VCAP-DCA..

Historically, there's never been a .2 version of ESX(i). Just sayin...

Not that I know for sure or work for or know anyone that knows for sure. But I'd put a large sum of money that it's version 6. I need to get through the VCAP-DCA..

you are right, I do believe we will see a huge public cloud push this year though. Even more than before

Bottom line is that anyone that knows can't say. But going by the session info and blog posts on VMware's site you can expect an announcement. If I were you I'd go ahead and update the VCP with that course.

^^This. We'd all get lit on fire if we said anything.

Several VMworld session descriptions call out the introduction of version 5.5 and make mention of one other.

EDIT: just wanted to add that I noticed this the day the sessions were posted. I figured it was an accident and would be edited out. But they left it in there so they must not mind stealing their own thunder.

Last edited:
Another question along the same lines. Does anyone know if 5.1 is covered on the vSphere 5 VCP test? Looking at the exam blueprint I don't see anything about SSO, etc.

I'm assuming the 5 test is still current? I need to go take my test (took the class over a year ago now, never got around to taking the test). I'm still good with vSphere 5 class -> VCP 5 test?

Another question along the same lines. Does anyone know if 5.1 is covered on the vSphere 5 VCP test? Looking at the exam blueprint I don't see anything about SSO, etc.

I'm assuming the 5 test is still current? I need to go take my test (took the class over a year ago now, never got around to taking the test). I'm still good with vSphere 5 class -> VCP 5 test?

The test is not really 5.x specific but be sure to look over the new features as they are testable material.

Yes, you'll be AOK.

Hell, they still offer the VCP4 test don't they?

Actually I just checked and it's off the site but it was there a month or two ago. So either way, even if they release vSphere 8000 today you'll still be fine for a few years.

Ask ye your questions. I haz infos :)

Quick correction NetJunkie - vSAN is not NFS. ;) There is no traditional protocol driving it on the back end - it's a true distributed system (kernel layer) with it's on datagrams for transferring data between nodes, but it's not doing any type of normal filesystem (it's a true object store). The real magic for it is the policy though, as the storage platform now adapts (on the fly, as needed) to your performance/reliability needs on a per object (normally a VM disk) basis - no storage vmotion to up performance, no migrations for contention, just change the policy (with a public api as well!) and it reforms as needed :)

Huh..didn't mean to put NFS in there. I'll fix that. Thanks! I like the storage policies... But needs more management visibility.

Huh..didn't mean to put NFS in there. I'll fix that. Thanks! I like the storage policies... But needs more management visibility.

I'm working on a bunch of vCAC/vCO workflows to create a custom interface for that. :)

If you can screw up the block size on vFRC, and set it too low for a large cache size, why do they even give you a choice? Why doesn't it just auto-configure based on the size of cache you select? Seems easy to mess up. This needs to be easier to manage. Pernixdata is expensive but almost worth the cost based on manageability alone.

vSphere 5.5 embargo lifted. Three new posts on my blog. www.jasonnash.com

Solid wrap-up... Hated knowing SSO was being fixed yet being forced to to 15 5.1 upgrades last month. The RSA iteration is almost as embarrassing as vRAM.... well, slight exaggeration.

I haven't been able to get a solid answer this week, but will the flash read cache capabilities be available on PCI cards (i.e. Fusion ioDrives)? I would like to put ioTurbine use to rest.

The ssd read cache looks interesting to me, my small biz clients typically have just a few vm's and local storage behind a raid controller, so somewhat limited performance.

Can the SSD be over provisioned, or does it automatically use the entire disk?

Solid wrap-up... Hated knowing SSO was being fixed yet being forced to to 15 5.1 upgrades last month. The RSA iteration is almost as embarrassing as vRAM.... well, slight exaggeration.

I haven't been able to get a solid answer this week, but will the flash read cache capabilities be available on PCI cards (i.e. Fusion ioDrives)? I would like to put ioTurbine use to rest.

Not yet - driver limitations of the emulation layer (I'll double check to make sure - they emulate a block device instead of a SCSI device) - that'll be fixed soon from what I've heard.

The ssd read cache looks interesting to me, my small biz clients typically have just a few vm's and local storage behind a raid controller, so somewhat limited performance.

Can the SSD be over provisioned, or does it automatically use the entire disk?

I'm not big on the read caching. It doesn't do anything until you go VM by VM and assign space and you can't over allocate. It's not nearly dynamic enough. I guess so they don't step on partner toes. Go look at PernixData.

Does this cause a shit storm during an HA event if the server you're restarting on doesn't have enough cache to accommodate it? What about DRS conflicts? If you can't manually vMotion without getting an error....I dread how this affects automated things. Surely this has been thought of.

Does this cause a shit storm during an HA event if the server you're restarting on doesn't have enough cache to accommodate it? What about DRS conflicts?

I haven't tested HA but it won't let you vMotion a VM if the destination doesn't have capacity. Again. Meh.

So, nothing new regarding NFS? Still NFS v3? Really would like to utilize multiple 1Gb interfaces better rather than spending the cash on 10Gbe upgrade

Some good reading so far! Anyone want to snag a copy of the pocket gudie from Pernix Data? :)

I'm not able to make it to VMWorld.

There's a rumor going around that the memory limitation on free ESXi 5.5 will be relaxed ... any truth to that?

Additional vSphere 5.5 Storage Feature Enhancements
VAAI UNMAP Improvements
vSphere 5.5 introduces a new and simpler VAAI UNMAP/Reclaim command:
# esxcli storage vmfs unmap
As before, this command creates temporary files and uses UNMAP primitive to inform the array that these
blocks in this temporary file can be reclaimed. This enables a correlation between what the array reports as free
space on a thin-provisioned datastore and what vSphere reports as free space. Previously, there was a mismatch
between the host and the storage regarding the reporting of free space on thin-provisioned datastores.
There are two major enhancements in vSphere 5.5: the ability to specify the reclaim size in blocks rather than as
a percentage value; dead space can now be reclaimed in increments rather than all at once.

Is there a reason this is still a manual process? It's been manual for two versions now. Or is VMware secretly pushing NFS over block :p

Some good reading so far! Anyone want to snag a copy of the pocket gudie from Pernix Data? :)

I'm not able to make it to VMWorld.

Tried today but struck out as they weren't handing them out till 4 and that's when one of Duncan's sessions started so I opted not to hang back. Hopefully there are more available tomorrow.

Tried today but struck out as they weren't handing them out till 4 and that's when one of Duncan's sessions started so I opted not to hang back. Hopefully there are more available tomorrow.

Thank you for trying though. I don't blame you. I would have done the same thing,

Back