Will U buy Windows 8?

• Yes

Votes: 86 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 54.5%
  • Can't decide yet...

Votes: 72 20.7%

• Total voters
I won't be buying (sort of), but I'll download it from TechNet. I always prefer to keep my system, knowledge & skills up-to-date.

I agree that the tablet UI is a bad direction for a desktop computer at this point. Won't be upgrading any time soon to 8.

No I will not be buying it, I have no reason to upgrade from W7. W7 is the perfect operating system for me. Use it at work and at home. W8 looks like a pain in the ass on a desktop, especially since I have seen it in person here at work on a fellow co-workers test computer.

Maybe the OP is just trying to spell like Prince does?

Anyway, to get me to buy Win8 for my desktop, I'm going to need some kind of performance increase (unlikely), killer gaming feature like DX11.5 (unlikely), or highly customizable interface (maybe?)

These numbers are impressive! I wonder what ms would say?!

Something like this probably.

MS said:
You are not the ones we are selling to anyway. We will be selling to Dell, Lenovo, and the like. We will not really be selling to the end user. Even if you decide to stick with Win7, we will still be getting your money.

It is truly wonderful have our biggest competition, be our last generation product.

Last edited:
Sure. I'm sold on Surface (barring any mind-bogglingly stupid surprises) - a tablet that I can also use for productivity and presentations in a pinch? Yes please.

Also, an upgrade to 8 will cost $15 if you buy a PC for a window of time, and since I've bought a dozen PCs in this time range already, I will absolutely spend $15 for 8 licenses - assuming the good ol' upgrade trick works with 8 like it did with 7.

That said, I've not seen anything in 8 that will make me switch from 7 on my primary desktop.

I will NOT. I used to always but the newest version of Windows without really thinking about it. But I'm content with W7 and I can't imagine wanting Metro for my Desktop and Laptop

Im.going to buy an external touch pad for my desktop when Windows 8 drops. I will be adopting metro and getting a Windows 8 phone once one worth a damn comes to Verizon.

I was solidly in the "no" category until MS announced that upgrading from XP/Vista/7 to Win8 Pro will cost $40. That moves me into the "yes" camp. I'm running into 32-bit XP's 4GB RAM limitation far too frequently lately. I'll just have to figure out how to make Windows automatically go to the desktop instead of trying to shoehorn me into a Metro UI that won't work for me.

They may buy it, but that doesn't mean they'll quit hating it!

I think many Metro haters are slowly becoming to realize that Metro is Microsoft's next big thing and that Microsoft is all in. With the certain death of Windows XP, a generation of hardware, and that Windows 8 UI aside is looking very solid, it extremely backwards compatible and is even faster and less resource hungry than Windows 7, a whole new generation of slick Metro apps, really, a different UI is going to kill it? We'll be talking about Metro for years to come and people will continue to hate it, but logically it hard to conclude that Windows 8 will fail. It might have a rough launch but in time I think it simply has a lot more going for it in things that's no one's talked about much because of the obsession with the Metro UI.

Ah, to have the kind of life where Metro is the worst thing to ever happen to you!

One can only dream.;)

Will I do remote support for work and there at XP.
I'm at win 7 at home. Work will have win 7 shorlty
in a month or two.

I'm a programmer/developer, and I see no advantage at this point
to win 8 at all. .

Nah I'm not going to buy it. I might get it free through University, undecided if I'll install it if it is free given I don't support tablet interfaces on my desktop.

Personally I hope Metro falls flat on it's arse, I have no doubt W8 will sell well, all versions of Windows do, but I hope W8 is a critical failure and people avoid using the Metro app store. Especially on desktop where I see absolutely no need for an app store or similar.

I'll pull it down from my Technet subscription , toss it on a VM and play with it a little bit.

I think the thing that's sticking in the craw of Metro opponents is that they fear that Windows 8 might actually be a good bit faster and more battery efficient than 7 and that's why they want to be able to turn off Metro. I've not done any formal testing but 8 does seem to be a good bit faster than 7 on the hardware I've had both on.
No, it's a whole array of things, like:
- Many people (like myself) see Metro as looking like a kids' educational program. It's embarrassing to even be seen using, if the other person doesn't know what Win8 is. (At college campuses, for instance, I'm sure people will literally laugh at you.)
- We see Metro apps as overly simple, and ugly. (In developers, I think it inspires anti-functionality, and, in users, I think it inspires a lazy view of technology.)
- Opening the Start Screen feels like stepping into a completely separate tablet OS, strangely tacked on... like getting into a car, and using bicycle handle-bars to drive. Win8 literally has 2 different taskbars that show you 2 different sets of programs. Metro doesn't show you the apps that sit on the taskbar, and the taskbar doesn't show you the Metro apps. (It's like running 2 computers at once.)
- For computer noobs, getting familiar with the new hot-corners, invisible Start Button, etc, isn't simple at all. (For instance, it will be hard enough for lots of people to remember where the "Shut Down" button is.) The methodology is confusing, and it's a completely new OS to learn.
- When you turn on your computer, you start off 4 screens away from the desktop. (!!) You have to run a marathon to reach it.

There's more, but you get the overall picture.

Last edited:
No, it's a whole array of things, like:
- Many people (like myself) see Metro as looking like a kids' educational program. It's embarrassing to even be seen using, if the other person doesn't know what Win8 is. (At college campuses, for instance, I'm sure people will literally laugh at you.)

Let them laugh, it doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 runs all the same desktop apps, will probably be faster and get better battery life and that I can take one two pound device like a Surface and do everything and more than those people laughing at me can.

The I'd see that is that the joke's on them.

Let them laugh, it doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 runs all the same desktop apps, will probably be faster and get better battery life and that I can take one two pound device like a Surface and do everything and more than those people laughing at me can.

Any speed increase (negligible at best) will be offset by the amount of time lost performing unnecessary extra steps.

Any speed increase (negligible at best) will be offset by the amount of time lost performing unnecessary extra steps.

In using Windows 8 daily for the last ten months in my experience the "extra steps" that supposedly occur with a keyboard and mouse simply isn't an issue. When it does occur it's with something that's a very infrequent thing like the power controls. It's not an issue on a laptop, you just close a lid. And even on a desktop, well those things can turn themselves off these days.

Win8: The Choice Of An AOL Generation.

Or the generation that likes the idea of a single device the size of mobile OS sized tablet that can do everything a laptop/desktop does outside of things that require higher levels of performance and every that a tablet can do.

I really wasn't even considering it until I saw the upgrade for $40 deal. At that price, its difficult for me to say for sure that I won't bite.

Windows 7 has been extremely stable and quick for me thus far, but I like having the newest toys to play with. The idea that I may get a performance boost (even if its small) is compelling as well but its not like my current setup is begging for more speed/smoothness.

I recently upgraded to Linux as my main operating system. I'm totally dodging win8!

Funny thing is I recently upgraded to win7 like a month ago. I did not mind win7, but I've been wanting to switch to Linux for the longest time, so I finally bit the bullet. It's great so far! Linux desktop has come a long way. It was actually easier to get setup than Windows, despite the learning curve. So much stuff in Linux is built in so there's less stuff to install, hardware is automagically operational, no drivers to install... it's great.

So much stuff in Linux is built in so there's less stuff to install, hardware is automagically operational, no drivers to install... it's great.

For common stuff Windows has been the same thing forever. Windows 8 has been very good about picking up hardware, touch, pen, video even bluetooth. You don't even need a keyboard or mouse to install it on a touch device, pen and touch support is in the installer now.

- When you turn on your computer, you start off 4 screens away from the desktop. (!!) You have to run a marathon to reach it.

4 screens? interesting, when I bootup windows 8, there's a button right infront of my face, on the metro screen "DESKTOP" it's been there since I installed the OS, and it brings me right to "gasps" the desktop.

4 screens? interesting, when I bootup windows 8, there's a button right infront of my face, on the metro screen "DESKTOP" it's been there since I installed the OS, and it brings me right to "gasps" the desktop.

When you run Windows 8 with multiple monitors, the Start Screen is on one monitor and the desktop is on the others. If you don't like Windows 8 ok, but would people use it before making claims that a just flat out not correct. I've seen way too many people say things about Windows 8 that claimed that have used it for an extended period of time and with the things they say it's hard to conclude that they are being completely honest about their Windows 8 experience.

You start at the welcome screen, the go to the login screen, then the Start Screen, then the Desktop.

You start at the welcome screen, the go to the login screen, then the Start Screen, then the Desktop.

Good point. That said the lock screen can be disabled with group policy and the scenario your describing would only be at boot up. And the lock screen is nice in that it does display notifications. I'd forgotten a coworkers birthday and while if showed up on my phone as well I first saw it on the Windows 8 lock screen.

Counting keystrokes and steps is great but when is comes to real world use it doesn't necessarily work that way.

Well I've been using Win8 On my Windpoad 110w. Runs pretty good starts a little faster then 7. Unfortunatley the os Sucks as a Tablet OS.
Metro is great except their are no apps for Metro and why MS couldn't even make an effort of Notepad metro demo is beyond me, when core OS bundled apps are not the Prime demo why the fuck put in metro at all?

After using metro and wanting to install some tools I came to conclusion that Metro is absolutly useless after that and I ended up working on the DESKTOP almost exclusively. Not to mention having no keyboard sucks a bit too.

Desktop in Win8 just like 7 on tablet had one huge problem it was unusable with out major changes and customaizations. Font Increases everywhere. Links in windows and in web browsers were to small and my fingers ended up hitting other links or ads by accident. Scrolling through the numerous programs and things I added to metro became a chore.
Just Win7 I had to make a lot of Customization just to make the Desktop mode more Tablet friendly. Would it hurt MS to FUCKING put in a theme that has same resolution but increased sizes of windows components? After about 30 Minutes of customization of the OS I could finnaly use it.

The best thing about Win8 is the onscreen keyboard. It can be noted that you could always get alternative keyboard on Win7.

IE 10 Sucks big time doesn't work correctly with touch screens especially with mouse over drop down menus. Hair pulling experience, thank god I had a thumb mouse.
Because metro is new I spent at least 2 days learning a new layout and swearing where the fuck is my Control panel.

I just ended up making a boat load of icons on my desktop that included stupid things like shutdown and sleep. I just felt to tedious to go to metro and find what I was looking for.
Another major flaw I found was that onscreen keyboard on the desktop didn't respond to any text fields in any of the apps I used. That meant I had to click the keyboard all the time to bring it up. It felt tedious and annoying and an extra step that should have been seen by MS. Also the keyboard 50% of the time will cover up the fields/windows you were looking at so you don't know where the heck you're typing. No automatic resizing of windows. MS could have come up with auto split of screen with keyboard and focus window.

I ended up finding that doing anything in Win8 was more clicks then necessary, on tablet mode I find its unusuable because the Desktop UI is designed for a Mouse/Keyboard enviornment. I ended up just getting a case with a keyboard to make any kind of worthy use of the tablet.

Metro would be great if EVERYTHING was metro style but then you could just buy Nokia crap.

One thing I loved was the new File/Windows Explorer. I like the ribbon myself.

It feels like the whole idea of Windows 8 is a mongrel child of WinMo, Office and Windows UI team. Its disjointed and amazingly awkward to use on a tablet.

My conclusion is that MS should have made a Tablet OS and a Desktop OS. You know kinda like Apple!

IE 10 Sucks big time doesn't work correctly with touch screens especially with mouse over drop down menus. Hair pulling experience, thank god I had a thumb mouse..

Yes, this is an issue with IE 10 with a few sites, of course this is a mouse hover which does conflict inherently with notion of touch and can be solved on the website end. Is this an issue with current tablet OSes? Touch doesn't work well with asus.com with IE 10 and I'd like to know if it does with other touch devices.

On thing about IE 10 on non-Atom x86 and even the AMD device you're using, it can be is EXTREMELY fast. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate and as far as touch browsing experiences go, I'd love to see an ARM device beat a Core i5 device overall.

Will I buy it? I might bite on the $30 upgrade just to have a copy on hand. Otherwise, not on my main machine, although I'm certainly looking at something like the Asus Transformer Book they showed off at Computex for on the road.

I think many Metro haters are slowly becoming to realize that Metro is Microsoft's next big thing and that Microsoft is all in. With the certain death of Windows XP, a generation of hardware, and that Windows 8 UI aside is looking very solid, it extremely backwards compatible and is even faster and less resource hungry than Windows 7, a whole new generation of slick Metro apps, really, a different UI is going to kill it? We'll be talking about Metro for years to come and people will continue to hate it, but logically it hard to conclude that Windows 8 will fail. It might have a rough launch but in time I think it simply has a lot more going for it in things that's no one's talked about much because of the obsession with the Metro UI.

I think it's pretty much a given that new iterations of an operating system are expected to be faster and more efficient than an older OS. It'd be more remarkable if Microsoft went the other direction and released an OS that felt slower than Windows 7, ie pre-SP1 Vista. Yeah, Windows 8 feels faster than Windows 7, but that's expected. And the task manager and file transfer window updates are rather nice. Backwards compatibility on the other hand, has been hit and miss. In particular, one of the software suites I support has a pretty critical bug as of Release Preview. If that's not fixed by release, I have a hundred offices where Windows 8 is absolutely not an option for the foreseeable future.

And you can call the UI an obsession, but that seems to be selling things a bit short. Considering the UI is one's main way of interacting with the operating system, it's a rather important point. I myself can't stand the Metro UI, how Metro apps take the entirety of my screen real estate, and that damned Start screen. On the other hand, there are plenty of people (crazy ones in my mind) that like the Metro UI.

In my opinion, if one is going to be clicking the "Desktop" tile every time they log onto the PC, there should really be an option to just start at the Desktop automatically. Ideally, I'd be able to have my start menu back in the corner instead of all my Start icons sprawling across a 27" monitor, but c'est la vie as the old folks say.

Back