Will U buy Windows 8?

• Yes

Votes: 86 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 54.5%
  • Can't decide yet...

Votes: 72 20.7%

• Total voters
Don't see the point of shelling out money for a new OS when 7 works just fine.

I will certainly buy it. Technically, by renewing my TechNet subscription for the next year, I already have.

Whether or not I'm going to like it enough to want to use it instead of 7 I still have to figure out. If nothing else, it's like a Mac. I'll have to learn it if I'm going to be expected to support it.

I have a spare machine doing light duty as an HTPC, and it is currently running Windows 8 RP with Classic Shell installed as a substitute start button/menu.

I will probably go ahead and buy a Win 8 license because 8 is doing all that I need it to do, and I kinda hate to spend money on an older OS that won't be supported as long as Win 8 will.

I voted No, because my primary computer is a desktop with mouse and keyboard.

If I ever were to obtain a touch compatible laptop, or if a permanent metro removal hack is found, I would consider buying it for the performance improvements alone.

absolutely not, I won't even try the beta right now. it's got a lame gimmick that I have no use for right now and probably not even in the future. eventually I'll try it, and probably get it for free cause I work for the IT dept. of a school district:D

edit: I might just buy it, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it if you have a valid w7 license for like $30 or something cheap.

Last edited:
I will be buying the recently announced x86 tablet with windows 8, in no small part BECAUSE of 8. But I will not be putting it on my desktop. In fact, I can't imagine any desktop I manage ever going windows 8.

So it's kind of a mixed bag.

If I were to buy a tablet, I'd like to have windows 8 on it. If Microsoft would make metroUI an option; not a feature, then I would upgrade my desktop.

I'm fairly happy with windows 7; It's one of the best OS's that Microsoft has ever put out.

I will certainly buy it. Technically, by renewing my TechNet subscription for the next year, I already have.

Whether or not I'm going to like it enough to want to use it instead of 7 I still have to figure out. If nothing else, it's like a Mac. I'll have to learn it if I'm going to be expected to support it.

+1

Won't be buying it at release but at some point I'll at least have it in a VM for testing / staging purposes. I wonder if MS will end up adding in "Classic Mode" as a feature in SP1 of Win8.. lol

I'm honestly not sure. I didn't care for the RC, but maybe if they get enough feedback on it that it isn't too late to "fix" it for desktop/laptop users.
If it ends up being pretty close to the RC, I'll pass.

EDIT: However I *do* like that i5 Surface tablet. I'd certainly have no issues with Win8 on a touch device.

I'll own it on a tablet, for sure. Server 8 - yes. Windows 8 on my desktop? Not quite sold yet. I really like it, but I want to see some final gaming benchmarks, etc. with it first. It's nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the entry price yet.

I prefer voting in polls where the word "you" in the thread title isn't spelled the way some drunken teenager texting her friends would spell it.

I prefer voting in polls where the word "you" in the thread title isn't spelled the way some drunken teenager texting her friends would spell it.

Big baby! :D

I find myself having to go back and correct myself when emailing or texting the bosses, since most dont use a computer/text much and dont want to cofuse them with inet lingo.

For the desktop, I can't say I'll never buy it, but I won't be getting it on release. Probably only when there are a few games I want that require it. And hopefully by then 9 will be out with a real desktop interface again.

Big baby! :D

I find myself having to go back and correct myself when emailing or texting the bosses, since most dont use a computer/text much and dont want to cofuse them with inet lingo.

I am certainly no English professor. I do and try to use text that resembles the English language at all times to avoid looking retarded. When I see crap like "U" and "LOL" in forum posts, work E-Mails or worse, out of people who are actually speaking I think they have to be too stupid to flip burgers or make french fries.

Serious question: will windows 8 get me more FPS?

Probably. Supposedly it's the most performance tuned desktop Windows system yet.

Personally I'll buy it or get an academic license at release, depending where I'm at. I've been running Windows 8 as my only OS at home since Consumer Preview and I see no reason to stop.

I voted no. I'm sure my employer will be purchasing it for me as soon as it is available.

I am certainly no English professor. I do and try to use text that resembles the English language at all times to avoid looking retarded. When I see crap like "U" and "LOL" in forum posts, work E-Mails or worse, out of people who are actually speaking I think they have to be too stupid to flip burgers or make french fries.

Y U mad tho?

+1

I will be buying the recently announced x86 tablet with windows 8, in no small part BECAUSE of 8.

+1

X5

I'm fine with "LOL". There really isn't a way of conveying laughter or humor without resorting to emotes or "hahahaha". I'd much prefer seeing "lol" to "hahahahahah".

On topic, I am a TechNet subscriber, so when W8 hits, I'm putting it on my laptop. When SP1 comes out, it is going on my desktop. And eventually I am going to retire my laptop in favor of an x86 W8 tablet.

I mostly do it because im lazy and would rather be reading [H] then writing emails/texts to people.. :)

And as far as windows 8, I like 7 for now and see no reason to switch. I could always do 1 machine just to play with it.

I plan to put it on my main machine soon after general availability. Why not? I like it.

I'm hoping Microsoft releases another one of those home user three pack deals like they did with Windows 7, in which case it will go on my spare machines as well.

Technically I won't be buying it as I'll get it through MSDN but I will update most of my machines to it day one. I'll keep main sig rig on 7 until it's upgraded. One can complain about the UI and I understand, I have no problems with it and my machines run a bit faster and my mobile devices should get better battery life and I'm sure I'll find some Metro apps that work for me plus I'm learning Metro development so I need to use Windows 8 anyway.

For a PC or laptop without a touch screen? No, not in it's current form. It would not suit my wants & needs as well as Win7 would. Give me back the start menu and allow me to skip metro, and yeah, I'm in should I need a license. Underneath the trash it is actually a solid OS.

On a touch screen device? Maybe. Depends on whether Android was better suited to what I wanted in a tablet or not.
I have a GalaxyTab 10.1. It replaced the magazines that used to be in the crapper. I don't think it has left the bathroom in months. Changing what OS it was running would likely not change how it was used. Tablets are less than toys to me. Gee whiz that's neat, moving on.

Only if there's something about W8 I haven't seen yet. It would have to be something compelling, say, a big hardware or games support issue. Otherwise I plan on skipping W8.

I use a desktop and my Ipad. So no. Give me an upgraded, faster, feature enhanced version of Windows 7, then it will be a yes. I don't like having a tablet UI shoved down my throat.

I use a desktop and my Ipad. So no. Give me an upgraded, faster, feature enhanced version of Windows 7, then it will be a yes. I don't like having a tablet UI shoved down my throat.

I think the thing that's sticking in the craw of Metro opponents is that they fear that Windows 8 might actually be a good bit faster and more battery efficient than 7 and that's why they want to be able to turn off Metro. I've not done any formal testing but 8 does seem to be a good bit faster than 7 on the hardware I've had both on.

I'm not likely to spend even $20 on an upgrade to Mountain Lion next month, so Microsoft is really going to have to sell me on this one. if they're going to go with their typical pricing scheme, then no, not likely. If they want to throw me a bone, I might bite.

I'm still not sure if I'll use it or not, but I'm certainly not going to buy it.

No. Not when XP is still perfectly usable. There has not been a single feature in Vista, Windows 7, let alone Windows 8 that would come close for me wanting to buy that version.

Back