will this work

PrimeSLP

Limp Gawd
my next build that Im doing in a couple of weeks includes a XFX 630i mATX mobo w/ GeForce 7150 GPU.

I have a 8600GTS that is going to be the main vid card on it

can I use the onboard gpu as a Physics card?

my next build that Im doing in a couple of weeks includes a XFX 630i mATX mobo w/ GeForce 7150 GPU.

I have a 8600GTS that is going to be the main vid card on it

can I use the onboard gpu as a Physics card?
a new build with 8600gts? what year is this? you wont even be playing modern games on higher settings let alone needing to even think about turning physx on. buy a real video card unless you want to play new games at 1024x768 and lower settings. physx should be the least of your concerns at this point.

a new build with 8600gts? what year is this? you wont even be playing modern games on higher settings let alone needing to even think about turning physx on. buy a real video card unless you want to play new games at 1024x768 and lower settings. physx should be the least of your concerns at this point.

actually I play cod4 at a average of 150-200 FPS all the time

I can play Crysis at medium just fine

FarCry 2 looks amazing on my computer

the 8600 GTS is just fine for the games I play

actually I play cod4 at a average of 150-200 FPS all the time

I can play Crysis at medium just fine

FarCry 2 looks amazing on my computer

the 8600 GTS is just fine for the games I play
Crysis on medium is fine except for the snow and carrier levels. Far Cry 2 would be a mostly med setting affair although mostly high settings would be somewhat playable depending on the res. call of duty 4 at 150-200fps with an 8600gts? maybe on all low settings you may get near that but if you claim to be getting those framerates in CoD4 on high settings you are full of poo.

I have an overclocked 8600gt right in front of me which would only be about 10% slower than an 8600gts. not to mention I could easily link to benchmarks so dont get too crazy about claiming what your card can do. fact is overall the 8600gts is a very poor card for modern games.

Last edited:
if I had more money to get a better video card I would but I don't

Im getting my case and mobo from a friend for super cheap

if I had more money to get a better video card I would but I don't

Im getting my case and mobo from a friend for super cheap
I understand that but dont act like the 8600gts is a good card because its not. a couple of years ago it was acceptable for low res gaming but now its really not even good for that. the only reason I commented in the first place was that if you were doing a new build then an 8600gts is a poor video card selection.

well its decent for the games I play
for low res gaming on reduced settings I will give you "decent". I just cant imagine what you were thinking when you claimed you got 150-200fps in CoD4. you surely know that is not remotely possible with an 8600gts?

a 8500gt can get around 70fps at the lowest settings, and since the 8600gt blows the 8500gt out of the water, at the bare min, the 8600gts can concievably get better framerates.

Sell the card on eBay, take that money, and buy an used from [H].

a 8500gt can get around 70fps at the lowest settings, and since the 8600gt blows the 8500gt out of the water, at the bare min, the 8600gts can concievably get better framerates.

Sell the card on eBay, take that money, and buy an used from [H].
I already said that on the lowest settings and low res it would be possible to get close to 150fps with an 8600gts. other than that it wouldnt even be close. yeah even a 9600gt would be a massive improvement over an 8600gts.

wow guys if that's the only card the op can use right now and he is satisfied with it, one should let him be. but yeah, the only thing you can use to enable hardware physx is your 8600gts. just don't expect to get acceptable performance out of it since it is a fairly low end card and would be handling double duty work with the graphics/ physics load in compatible games. nothing wrong with testing it out if you want though and see what you get, lol. what games were you wanting to try out, prime? you might be able to get a playable frame rate in mirrors edge at a lower than 1.3mp resolution with hardware physx enabled based on the firingsquad benchmarks i read awhile back. older physx accelerated games like graw might work too on that card. i doubt any newer games will work too well at all though.

wow guys if that's the only card the op can use right now and he is satisfied with it, one should let him be. but yeah, the only thing you can use to enable hardware physx is your 8600gts. just don't expect to get acceptable performance out of it since it is a fairly low end card and would be handling double duty work with the graphics/ physics load in compatible games. nothing wrong with testing it out if you want though and see what you get, lol. what games were you wanting to try out, prime? you might be able to get a playable frame rate in mirrors edge at a lower than 1.3mp resolution with hardware physx enabled based on the firingsquad benchmarks i read awhile back. older physx accelerated games like graw might work too on that card. i doubt any newer games will work too well at all though.

I will have to check out the list

but thanks for all the info

Back