• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will this power supply run this system?

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
2,999
4gb ddr2
Athlon X2 5800 @3ghz
Geforce 9800

Would a 4 year old 330W Seasonic power supply run this system for gaming?
 
Should be able to but don't OC or add any more parts
 
I wouldnt depend on it too much if your gonna be gaming with it. Your gonna burn it up in no time. Id seriously consider getting at least a 500-600w to be safe... Newegg.com has good deals on them all the time. Its usually a good bet only to use up to between 70-80% of your power supply's max capacity for it to last longer. I currently use a 9800 GTX+ and its a bit of a power hog.
 
Last edited:
I wouldnt depend on it too much if your gonna be gaming with it. Your gonna burn it up in no time. Id seriously consider getting at least a 500-600w to be safe... Newegg.com has good deals on them all the time. Its usually a good bet only to use up to between 70-80% of your power supply's max capacity for it to last longer. I currently use a 9800 GTX+ and its a bit of a power hog.
A 500-600W PSU? Please go do a little research before you go making more recommendations like this. A system like the OP has will not use nearly 70-80% of the capacity of a 500-600W PSU. In fact, 330W is absolutely fine. The only concern I would have in this situation is the age of the PSU, but even then, it should be alright.
 
A 500-600W PSU? Please go do a little research before you go making more recommendations like this. A system like the OP has will not use nearly 70-80% of the capacity of a 500-600W PSU. In fact, 330W is absolutely fine. The only concern I would have in this situation is the age of the PSU, but even then, it should be alright.

but he is using a 125Watt (GT) or 140Watt [GTX(+)] video card, and an 89 watt CPU. His PSU probably only has about 20a combined on the +12v rails if it's this Seasonic. In which case he's pushing it pretty hard, especially if it's 4 years old.
 
but he is using a 125Watt (GT) or 140Watt [GTX(+)] video card, and an 89 watt CPU. His PSU probably only has about 20a combined on the +12v rails if it's this Seasonic. In which case he's pushing it pretty hard, especially if it's 4 years old.
He'd be pushing it hard at maximum load, but most of the time the PC will be under low load or off, so it should be fine overall. Like I said, the age is the one thing that does concern me a bit. Those power numbers also look like TDP values, and if that's the case then the actual power consumption should be lower than that, providing nothing is overclocked. Whatever the case, a 500W PSU is the maximum I would consider for a system like that, not the minimum as the above poster suggested.
 
He'd be pushing it hard at maximum load, but most of the time the PC will be under low load or off, so it should be fine overall. Like I said, the age is the one thing that does concern me a bit. Those power numbers also look like TDP values, and if that's the case then the actual power consumption should be lower than that, providing nothing is overclocked.

They are TDP. But that's what I found in a five second lookup. :D That said, power consumption would still be well on the upper end of that PSU's capability when it was new. I'd suggest getting something like a Corsair 430CX or Antec EA430 just to be on the safe side since we just don't know what kind of load he's putting it under except "gaming."
 
I ran a core to duo 2.2 @ 2.8, 8800gt overclocked on a 250W small form factor PSU and it worked fine. Figure the 9800gt should draw less power than the 8800gt too.

I'd say your 330 will be enough.

Here we go again with people recommending 500-600 minimum psus for low end systems.
 
You should be fine. Heck 330w is plenty for most single video card systems unless you get a high end video card. I just wouldn't recommend overclocking because that is what causes power consumption spikes.
 
Back
Top