• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Will they sound better?

bmartin

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
2,720
I just picked up a used set of DT770 Pro (250ohm) and they sound wonderful. Problem is, I used to have a set of cheapo Sennheiser HD485's, and was surprised by the "neutralness" of the sennies. I am thinking that I prefer the sound of the Sennheisers, but love the soundstage of the DT770's if that makes sense.

So, my question is, given the information above, if I were to purchase say the Sennheiser HD595's, would I be happier?

I am using a FubarIII headphone amp/DAC attached to its own supplier.

I use it for Music/Gaming at night. All types of music and games. Most of the music is 320Kb MP3.

(trying to stay around $250)
 
Awesome. I wish they had places out here to sample these, but there is little to nothing out here that provides anything worth listening to for headphones. The best we have is Magnolia, but they don't deal in headphones.

I may take the plunge into some 580's, as every review I have read seems pretty good.
 
I believe they use the same drivers as the HD600/650s which would recommend them over the 595s. Those are some of the better phones out there without getting really crazy or heading to electrostatic land. But still, check me on this...I haven't looked into Sennheiser as much as some other lines.
 
I just picked up a used set of DT770 Pro (250ohm) and they sound wonderful. Problem is, I used to have a set of cheapo Sennheiser HD485's, and was surprised by the "neutralness" of the sennies. I am thinking that I prefer the sound of the Sennheisers, but love the soundstage of the DT770's if that makes sense.

So, my question is, given the information above, if I were to purchase say the Sennheiser HD595's, would I be happier?

I am using a FubarIII headphone amp/DAC attached to its own supplier.

I use it for Music/Gaming at night. All types of music and games. Most of the music is 320Kb MP3.

(trying to stay around $250)

I would look into the AD900 or K701/601/501 (try to grab a more powerful amplifier if you can). These two have neutrality AND soundstage. For the AKG headphones, as you get lower in number, you lose bass, IMO.

FWIR, the later Senns are more of a dark, warm, and, to some, veiled sound. Not particularly neutral.
 
well fwiw.. I had the Senn 600's and ditched them. If you play games use the 770's period. Explosions, artillery strikes, crashes, the 770s rock. :) The 770's soundstage is a bonus. Personally I think it's the holy grail of gamer headphones. (outside of PS1's heh)

Music.. it's more subjective but it really depends what you listen too.. the music I listen to sounded much better on my 770's.
 
FWIR, the later Senns are more of a dark, warm, and, to some, veiled sound. Not particularly neutral.

I'm told the 650 is pretty dark while the 600 is much more neutral. No clue where the 580 fits into this.

AKG K701 is around $250...but it really, really needs an appropriate amp that can supply enough current. I don't know how yours fits into this.

well fwiw.. I had the Senn 600's and ditched them. If you play games use the 770's period. Explosions, artillery strikes, crashes, the 770s rock. :) The 770's soundstage is a bonus. Personally I think it's the holy grail of gamer headphones. (outside of PS1's heh)

Closed is good for gaming especially if you do LANs, and the strong bass presence with the DT770s is pretty nice for it too.
 
Ah. Well, either way, the K701 or AD900 soundstage and neutrality combination are hard to beat. K701 is $250 for a new pair. For used, it should be much less (maybe $170-$200).

Good point about closed headphones. Fergot since I used speakers for lanning, for the most part.
 
Thanks for all the advice. I forgot one critical point. I need a set of headphones that are open. This is for two reasons:

1. At night I play at low volumes, because I have children, and prefer to have the ability to hear the baby cry, thus not having to wake the wife up. (If the wife is up, the music and games turn into conversations)

B: I bring these to work. I again keep them at low volumes, so that I can hear whats going on around me in case a casino floor goes down, I know prior to the big eruption.

(Yea, I did that on purpose)

*edit* Just realized that the K701's have an open design.
 
I'm told the 650 is pretty dark while the 600 is much more neutral. No clue where the 580 fits into this.
I have a hard time believing there are truly profound differences between the 600 and the 650. Based on my limited experience with the HD600, and my prolonged experience with the HD650, I'm of the opinion that they sound fairly similar. This is just based on totally non-blind, non-critical listening with pretty long periods of time between "auditions", so take this all with a grain of salt.

The only reason I bought the HD650? Because 650 is higher than 600, basically :)

"Dark" is not really a quality I'm familiar with, so I'm not sure if "dark" is a term that accurately describes the HD650 (really can't keep up these audiophile terms). As far as I'm concerned, they're as "neutral" as anyone could ever want in a headphone intended for music listening.
 
"Dark" is not really a quality I'm familiar with, so I'm not sure if "dark" is a term that accurately describes the HD650 (really can't keep up these audiophile terms). As far as I'm concerned, they're as "neutral" as anyone could ever want in a headphone intended for music listening.

Have you had any experience with the Sennheiser HD485? I would like to get an apples to apples comparison from the cheaper sennheisers to the higher end 500 series/600 series.

I had to change my pants after reading a few reviews on the AKG K701's, which seem right up my alley. But I really enjoyed the sound of the cheap 485's. The bass wasn't as tight as the 770's, but it seemed like they just had the right balance of Low/Mid/High frequencies for my ear to enjoy.

The 770's are great, don't get me wrong. The more I listen to them, the more I appreciate them. But speaking from my last post, I would prefer an open-design to get the most out of my enjoyment.


I just finished listening to "Pantera-Planet Caravan" FLAC on the 770's, and it seems like Phil Anselmo's voice was behind a curtain. Every instrument in that song was so defined though, I felt like he didn't need to sing. Damn these sound good for acoustic recordings though.

**Thanks in advance for looking into this for me guys. I would search further outside the [H] realm if they didnt have sites like HeadFi blocked as Social Networking sites. Damn you websense!**
 
Back
Top