Will Tablets Kill Off E-Readers?

I remain convinced that convertible laptops such as the Dell xps-12 will replace both laptops and tablets. Mini tablets (without keyboards) might still become the new E-readers.

Sure, as soon as some tablet gives me 3 months of battery life, unlimited standby with instant on, and an easy to read display whether in the dark or in direct sunlight.

E-readers definitely have a place. They're for people like my father that want to bring all of their books with them when they travel, but don't need it to do anything else.

And people do like the battery life afforded by e-ink.

Sure, as soon as some tablet gives me 3 months of battery life, unlimited standby with instant on, and an easy to read display whether in the dark or in direct sunlight.

Bingo

And it's not going to happen with LCDs. Every time I pick up my Nook glow it still has a charge - even if it's been 2-3 weeks since I last used it (hey, sometimes I'm reading a paper book). I charge it once a month or two.

At this point it's still irreplaceable for people who actually like to read on a daily basis.

Anyone who thinks tablets will kill off ereaders, apparently has never read on an ereader.

Until tablets have multiple months of batterylife, instant on, and can be read in all conditions; they will not "kill off" ereaders.

You can grab tablets now for like $100 and yes I think we all predicted they would be a short lived fad. I am sure there will continue to be a niche market but phones and tablets are in the hands of so many now, ereaders are just an added redundant expense.

People don't actually seem to use them really though. They buy them, but then they mostly just seem to sit around on shelves and get replaced by a phone. Would these same people buy another device they don't use?

People don't actually seem to use them really though. They buy them, but then they mostly just seem to sit around on shelves and get replaced by a phone. Would these same people buy another device they don't use?

I use my Kindle all the time and my usage is 100% representative of all e-reader owners out there. So there.

Until tablets have multiple months of batterylife, instant on, and can be read in all conditions; they will not "kill off" ereaders.
Most tablets are instant-on and have standby times of about a month. Unless you're completely without power for that length of time, the reduced standby time is really a non-issue.

I use my Kindle all the time and my usage is 100% representative of all e-reader owners out there. So there.

I meant tablets! E-readers are the best at what they do.

Tablets are like junk netbooks with a crappy interface, are less mobile than a phone less powerful than a laptop, they just suck at everythiing!

Most tablets are instant-on and have standby times of about a month. Unless you're completely without power for that length of time, the reduced standby time is really a non-issue.

Standby time of a month doesn't mean usage for a month. Without wi-fi a kindle can be on for a month. Without power the e-reader would still be useful after a few weeks, the tablet would be long gone after a day.

I meant tablets! E-readers are the best at what they do.

Tablets are like junk netbooks with a crappy interface, are less mobile than a phone less powerful than a laptop, they just suck at everythiing!

Oh...well I'm still pretend upset at you even if it was because of a misunderstanding.

I think straight-up e-readers will die.

I did a blend. I bought a Nook color, and put CM7 on it = Tablet/Reader.

I own an iPad, an Ultrabook laptop, an iPhone 4, and without question the device that I use more than any other is my Nook Simple Touch. While there are some limits to E-ink I don't see myself leaving any time soon.

Do they work as e-readers themselves? Yes.
Do they do other things as well? Yes.
Are they now priced similarly to e-readers? Yes.

Answer's pretty damned obvious. I still prefer real books, though.

There is no substitute for an e-ink screen for reading. I've owned a Nook Color (rooted) for a long time now, and I've read a ton of books on it. I have never been bothered by the LCD screen at all, and overall I actually like it. However, after reading a novella on a coworker's Kindle, I realized that I had been missing out. 99% of what I do on my Nook Color is simply reading, so I went home and told my wife that I wanted one of the new Kindle Paperwhites for Xmas. Unfortunately, I ended up spoiling that gift since we share an Amazon account for Prime, but I sure am looking forward to getting it lol.

It would be neat if someone could figure out a dual screen device to be both. Like a tablet with a covered e-ink display on the backside.

e-ink on the backside ... wouldn't that be the tablet equivalent of the tramp stamp :eek:

:D

I use my Kobo Touch eInk reader extensively, both for books and A4-sized PDFs. The resolution is incredible, as is the ease of reading anything on it. When I first got it I was skeptical how I'd like it compared to reading paper books, but I'm all for eInk now.

Reading books on a back-lit screen? Heck no. I already read a lot of text every day on LCDs (desktop and phone), and I find that I can only relax with a paper book or eInk version. Everything else just agitates your eyes.

I also like how I can toss my Touch to the side for a few weeks and it'll just power up with lots of charge left after that :) Last time I recharged it was over half a year ago and I finished at least one big book. No other device can offer this kind of convenience. Other than a paper book, I guess :p

I like ereaders because with a full blown tablet, I get distracted by the internet and never read the book.

e-readers battery life is insane. Sometimes I dust off my e-reader and turn it on and it's like "60% battery life", and I'm like wtf this thing lasts forever. That's the best thing about e-readers IMO, if you can get a good battery and you turn off wifi your battery will last for a long ass time

Back