Will my OCZ 550w be sufficient?

kookoo102

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
455
So, I have had my OCZ fatality 550w psu on my server system for the last 2 years. Computer is on about 90% of the time. Right now I know it is plenty for the system it is in... ( amd dual core 2.6, 6gb ram, 2x SSD raid for os, 320gb for BitTorrent, no optical drive, m-atx setup with integrated video, and 3 fans total)

Well... I am currently upgrading and adding drives for backup of my NAS.
So changes will be:

Asus sabertooth v 2.0
Amd phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz ( for now till I figure out what am3+ processor I go with)
Looking to get a lower end video setup for now as we'll.. Nvidia gtx 260- 460.
Adding 3 hard drives (4tb,1tb, and 500gb) keeping my 2x SSD setup for the os
8gb performance ram
Silverstone fortress ft02 with 4 fans
And looking to possibly water cool... But not sure due to that fact the computer is in alllllll the time.

I used one of those online power supply calculators, said minimum of 530w I believe
Just curious of what other people would have to say.

Also... If you don't feel my psu will be sufficient... Do you have any recommendations? I'm trying to keep it not cheap... But not go crazy. I really would like to keep it under 100 if at all possible.

Thank you in advance! :)
 
With no overclocking, allowing for aging, and allowing for almost constant use over several years at least. A recommended PSU with a minimum of around 550W should be used.

As the system is being mostly upgraded, it is recommended that a NEW PSU be used, as the old PSU may be getting too old to supply reliable power for an additional few years.

A stable and reliable PSU is required.

Suggest a Seasonic X-560 PSU as a minimum. Or a Seasonic X-650 or X-660 to allow for minor additional (future) upgrades.
 
Last edited:
With no overclocking, allowing for aging, and allowing for almost constant use over several years at least. A recommended PSU with a minimum of around 550W should be used.

As the system is being mostly upgraded, it is recommended that a NEW PSU be used, as the old PSU may be getting too old to supply reliable power for an additional few years.

A stable and reliable PSU is required.

Suggest a Seasonic X-560 PSU as a minimum. Or a Seasonic X-650 or X-660 to allow for minor additional (future) upgrades.

Mis information galore in this post.

Your PSU will be fine.
Degradation for good quality power supplies only happen after a long period of time way more then the 2 years he stated.
 
Last edited:
The OCZ 550W Fatal1ty PSU uses lower grade components compared to the higher grade componentry of the Seasonic PSU's for example. So the usable (remaining) lifespan of the OCZ PSU is questionable.

It is sensible to protect component investment by using a quality (stable and reliable) PSU.
 
The OCZ 550W Fatal1ty PSU uses lower grade components compared to the higher grade componentry of the Seasonic PSU's for example. So the usable (remaining) lifespan of the OCZ PSU is questionable.

It is sensible to protect component investment by using a quality (stable and reliable) PSU.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on OCZ having lower grade components in the PSU. I can say seasonic has lower grade components compared to PCP&C.. These are all good quality PSU... I feel just comes down to preference. I have used OCZ power supplies in all my builds. Never had one fail. I miss my first one I had, adjustable voltage on all 3 rails, totally AMAZING!
On another note... I did take Ur advice on upgrading, upgraded to 750w.

Take a look at this site...
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
 
The 550W would've been enough. My opinion on PSUs is that they work until they die, then you replace them. No point in going for branding or numbers. It also depends on the OEM of the PSU, rather than the brand on the box.

The lifetime of a PSU, even mid-range such as OCZ, is well over 2 years... probably more into the 10+ year range. I have a cheap 450W PSU from Apevia that's going over 7 years.
 
You have a decent but not great power supply. I think it is good enough at least for now. Power-wise it is enough.
 
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on OCZ having lower grade components in the PSU. I can say seasonic has lower grade components compared to PCP&C.. These are all good quality PSU... I feel just comes down to preference. I have used OCZ power supplies in all my builds. Never had one fail. I miss my first one I had, adjustable voltage on all 3 rails, totally AMAZING!
On another note... I did take Ur advice on upgrading, upgraded to 750w.

Take a look at this site...
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A 750w what?

That 550w OCZ Fatality is made by Sirtec. It's mediocre. It stays within spec, but thats about it. It's sirtec mediocrity at it's best. For your purposes though, it was fine. You only have a 400-450w system.
 
Back
Top