• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will ATi produce solid drivers for 4870X2??

Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
57
I've been waiting for one of these bad boys for a while now, but with the current release of Catalyst 8.7, I'm hearing that ATi actually rolled back performance with the 4800 series. Now I'm concerned about my future purchase of the 4870X2, which might perform in the same vein as the Geforce 7950GX2, a card which had terrible driver support.

The fear of poor driver performance is enough to make me go the route of Nvidia again. I know it's all speculation at this point, but ATi really does have a lot on their plate. I hope they meet expectations. I was going to buy a 4870X2 right when its released, maybe I should hold off until in-game performance benchmarks.

What do you guys think? When dealing with HIGH END graphic cards, we're dealing with investments that cost upwards of $450.
 
Investments appreciate. An asset that depreciates 70%-90% over a 2 year period is hardly an investment.
 
Investments might appreciate, or depreciate. It might not be a good investment, but its not required to appreciate to be an investment. In fact, some people invest in properties, or business ideas with the intention that the property or business idea will depreciate, or not make money for the tax writeoffs....
 
computer hardware is one of the worst areas to invest ... for example the 280s price in a less then a month. Case and point
 
Tell me about it. I would be kicking myself if I had shelled out 6+ bills on a card that has dropped 33% in price in the past month and a half. Nvidia really kicked their high end customers in the balls on that one.
 
The current prerelease drivers that ATI has supplied to review sites for the R700 previews are already pretty polished, and the official release when it comes out should be even better. I wouldn't worry about driver issues if I were you. Over the past few years ATI has tremendously improved their driver support, and now it's at least on the same level as nVidia's, if not better. Also, ATI has been much better with supporting their X2 cards than nVidia has with their GX2s.
 
Tell me about it. I would be kicking myself if I had shelled out 6+ bills on a card that has dropped 33% in price in the past month and a half. Nvidia really kicked their high end customers in the balls on that one.

You mean really kicked their jump on the bandwagon way too early and don't make good purchases customers?
 
You mean really kicked their jump on the bandwagon way too early and don't make good purchases customers?

I wouldn't blame the customers. If the HD4000 series hadn't kicked so much ass, we'd still be seeing $550+ prices on the GTX280. nVidia shafted consumers by massively overcharging to begin with, and they only lowered the prices to a reasonable level when they realised they couldn't rape peoples' wallets any more in the face of the competition.
 
Tell me about it. I would be kicking myself if I had shelled out 6+ bills on a card that has dropped 33% in price in the past month and a half. Nvidia really kicked their high end customers in the balls on that one.

Lol, I can only assume that you mean the choice to have the original price so high was the actual kick in the balls.
 
Computer hardware in general is a devestment.

However, that hardware which can quadruple your productivity from that only 1 Ghz Pentium is where the real investment is. For me, when I build my new computer in August, I consider it a very good investment due to the extra productivity. Although, a lot of that productivity will be lost during gaming. Whoops. :)
 
I'm having no performance issues with the latest Catalyst drivers. In fact I can honestly say that with the current driver set I'm experience MUCH better gameplay than I've ever had from any other multi-GPU setup. I've always been hyper-sensitive to microstuttering but my current dual 4870 setup is extremely nice.
 
I've been waiting for one of these bad boys for a while now, but with the current release of Catalyst 8.7, I'm hearing that ATi actually rolled back performance with the 4800 series. Now I'm concerned about my future purchase of the 4870X2, which might perform in the same vein as the Geforce 7950GX2, a card which had terrible driver support.

The fear of poor driver performance is enough to make me go the route of Nvidia again. I know it's all speculation at this point, but ATi really does have a lot on their plate. I hope they meet expectations. I was going to buy a 4870X2 right when its released, maybe I should hold off until in-game performance benchmarks.

What do you guys think? When dealing with HIGH END graphic cards, we're dealing with investments that cost upwards of $450.

ATi's drivers for Vista are arguably better than the Nvidia ones........I have ZERO issues related to ATi drivers but I had to pull my audigy 2 when I plugged in more than 4GB ram due to crappy creative drivers.....
 
Back
Top