Will a GTX260 card fit in an Antec Sonata case?

Vexorg

[H]ard|Gawd
(Delurking after a rather long absence from the [H])

I'm just about ready to finish ordering the stuff for a new system I'm building. Currently my plan is to use the Antec Sonata that my current system is housed in with pretty much everything else replaced, but I have some concerns abour whether or not a GTX260 will fit into that case. Is anyone here using one of these in that case? I'm going to be running on an Asus P5Q Pro with a Q6600 and 8GB of RAM.

The GTX 260 is 10.5" IIRC. So see if you have 11" clearance from the hard drive bay to the PCI slots.

I've got the original version of the Sonata.

EDIT: Based on the info I found here and elsewhere, I ended up taking a tape measure to the case, which says I should have 11.5" or so to work with. Based on that, I'm guessing I should be OK here.

I have the Sonata III and it fits but you will have to take out the fan on the HDD cage.

Fits Sonata II, as long as you don't use the fan on the hard drive cage. I ended up adding a side intake fan on mine to make sure there was enough airflow.

I have the Sonata III and it fits but you will have to take out the fan on the HDD cage.

I just bought a gtx 260 last night and have a sonata III and I didn't have to take out anything. A little snug but I just angled in the side with the display ports in first and went in no problem.

edit: Oh, n/m, I dont have a fan on my HDD(dont think my sonata came with one) :confused:.

Vexorg can you update us on whether it fit or not? I'm planning to do this exact same thing as you.

I'm building a new gaming rig but I'd like to enjoy the 260GTX now and put it in my Sonata (original series) while I assemble a new rig.

If you have the original Sonata case, as I do, plan on running it with the side off with that set-up. It'll choke your stuff to death specially if you overclock.

It fits in my Sonata 2 case with about a half an inch to spare. It's tight but it fits.

Hey Vortex,

Did you manage to get the GTX 260 into the original Sonata case?

I went ahead and tried it and yes it does fit. You will need to remove the hard drive fan in order to get the 260GTX in there. Temps are kinda high due to just one case fan but at 55% GPU fanspeed my load temps are around 72C.

Holy crap, had no idea a fan could fit on the hard drive cage of the Sonata. Guess I should have read the case instruction manual.:p

Holy crap, had no idea a fan could fit on the hard drive cage of the Sonata. Guess I should have read the case instruction manual.:p

I don't think it was very effective anyway...think I heard it made the airflow worse in the case.

Just for the hell of it I took a pic of my dusty old Sonata with the 260GTX running. Thankfully this baby is going into a new computer with an Antec P-182 case. I've even got it running off a 500watt PSU (which barely has enough amps to power it).

gtx260sonataez4.jpg

I don't think it was very effective anyway...think I heard it made the airflow worse in the case.

Just for the hell of it I took a pic of my dusty old Sonata with the 260GTX running. Thankfully this baby is going into a new computer with an Antec P-182 case. I've even got it running off a 500watt PSU (which barely has enough amps to power it).

gtx260sonataez4.jpg

Just bought a 280 which will be going into a Sonata 3. Any major problems with the card in it? Looks snug but ok.

Yeah Sonata cases are like dust filters. I know all cases get dust but these things seem to attract it like a magnet. And they have a poor airflow design, and that's why dust goes in but doesn't go out. I bet most Sonata owners who run similar specs as mine have the side panel off. Keeps stuff from lighting on fire.

Yeah Sonata cases are like dust filters. I know all cases get dust but these things seem to attract it like a magnet. And they have a poor airflow design, and that's why dust goes in but doesn't go out. I bet most Sonata owners who run similar specs as mine have the side panel off. Keeps stuff from lighting on fire.

I'm surprised you have heat issues with the Sonata. I have similar specs (Q6600 at 3.2, GTX 260, 500w earthwatts) and have no heat issues whatsoever. My computer never overheats and is truly silent, except during gaming when all the fans wake up from idle. I ran this setup with an 8800gt for the past 12 months and just recently switched to the 260, still no heat issues. In fact, the computer is even cooler now since the 260 vents outside of the case vs the 8800gt which vented into it.

I'm surprised you have heat issues with the Sonata. I have similar specs (Q6600 at 3.2, GTX 260, 500w earthwatts) and have no heat issues whatsoever. My computer never overheats and is truly silent, except during gaming when all the fans wake up from idle. I ran this setup with an 8800gt for the past 12 months and just recently switched to the 260, still no heat issues. In fact, the computer is even cooler now since the 260 vents outside of the case vs the 8800gt which vented into it.

Any problems at all with the stock PSU and the GTX 260. Thinking about throwing a 280 in there if the deal from buy.com holds up.

Back