Will a AMD Mobile Althlon XP-M 3000+ work on my KT333 board?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I seen this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-482&depa=0 and was wondering if it would work on my Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra PE.
If you are usnsure how can I figure out what settings in the bios I will need to make it run.

Soyo Says the max CPU for my MB is a Ahtlon 2600+ 266fsb but I dont know how up to date that figure is.

Also dont these mobil CPU's run cooler than the normal Athlon XP?

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade from a Athlon XP2200+?

Two days and no replies??? Hum, and I thought the people here at the [H] knew everything about computers, please prove me right :D

While you would see preformance increases, I think it is maybe time for you to upgrade to 64bit. For 150 bucks, you can get an A64 2800... That is where I would put my money.

I would just get the 2600 version of it and overclock it. The 2600-M is only $92 if I remember right. They are mulitplier unlocked, but you would need to be able to supply a multiplier over 12.5 to get a decent overclock out of it on a 166FSB.

A: Why wouldn't it..of course it will.

B: Why would you buy it over a 2600+mobile which is a superior product.

bobsaget said:
While you would see preformance increases, I think it is maybe time for you to upgrade to 64bit. For 150 bucks, you can get an A64 2800... That is where I would put my money.
agreed.
an a64 2800 or a64 3000 will practically hand an xp 2800 or xp 3000 it's ass.

bobsaget said:

Yeah I may be able to get an Atlon 64 for $150, but factor in the $100 for MB and another $50 for heatsink and well, I dont have that much to spend. Everytime someone asks about anything on this damn board everyone tries to talk them into something that costs twice as much as they wat to spend! Now unless someone want to give me $150 for a KT333 Dragon PE and a Atlon 2200 I cant aford to upgrade to a Athlon 64!
Shit why dont I just wait around till I can aford an Athlon FX 53, 939 socket MB, and4 gigs of PC5000 matched memory, that will get me the most performance! Yeah right by the time I can aford that I will be looking to buy a new Cauffon (SP?).

Like I said, get the XP 2600 mobile and overclock it. It costs only $92. I am able to get mine to run at 2.7ghz at the top end. Runs 2.6ghz comfortably. Just make sure you have the ability to set the multiplier, which you should considering the Soyo Dragon board was one of the best enthusiest boards in it's time.

if the soyo dragon is limited to 133mhz bus, why get a faster chip...youre gonna hamstring yourself with poor performance.

Your probably wasting your time and money trying to run a mobile CPU on an old KT333 motherboard. You need a nForce2 Ultra motherboard to be able to properly run the mobile without running into compatibility problems with the mobile chip. Also, since your board doesn't support the 400fsb , you won't be able to take advantage of the high overclocking potential of the mobile. Save your money for a motherboard/CPU upgrade or get a Throughbred 2600 (yes, a 2600 Throughbred is as far as you can go).

Steel Chicken said:
if the soyo dragon is limited to 133mhz bus, why get a faster chip...youre gonna hamstring yourself with poor performance.

It will do 166FSB.

Found you a link here with a guy having problems from a couple of weeks ago with a KT600 chipset board (which is a couple of generations newer board than yours) with the mobile XP cpu.

Mobile XP + Via chipset board = :(
Mobile XP + nForce2 Ultra board = :D

'nuff said.

Met-AL said:
It will do 166FSB.
Actually it wont, The 333 in the name is kinda misleading. It will do 333 memory speeds however there isn't any PCI/AGP divisers available that will let you do 166fsb and keep acceptable PCI/AGP speeds. Just as the KT400 boards dont support the 400fsb CPU's.
Ah, to hell with it, I cant seem to get this CPU to do anything over 2ghz, and even then it isn't very stable so it isn't worth overclocking it at all

Woops...forgot about that. Wasn't it the KT333a boards that could do 166FSB where as the non a KT333 couldn't?

Diablo2K said:
I seen this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-482&depa=0 and was wondering if it would work on my Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra PE.
If you are usnsure how can I figure out what settings in the bios I will need to make it run.

Soyo Says the max CPU for my MB is a Ahtlon 2600+ 266fsb but I dont know how up to date that figure is.

Also dont these mobil CPU's run cooler than the normal Athlon XP?

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade from a Athlon XP2200+?

The 3000+ xp-M is a DTR (desk top replcement) that allows the multiplier to be decreased. It is a drop in replacement socket-A, 72W Athlon XP. So by all means on a modern socket A board it should work.

One thing that may happen though is that your motherboards bios may not fully recognize the actual name string of the cpu, but in most cases that is just purely cosmetic.

Later

MD

If your board can only do 133FSB, I would just move on. The memory bandwidth will be low and will choke the performance some, but with the 512 L2 cache, this might even out.

To get the CPU to run at 2.4ghz which would be a easy overclock on a XP-2600-M, you would need 18 multiplier.

Whats the debate about?

Dude... take the same $ as 3000+ and get a 2600+ and a NForce2 MBoard. Toss the Soyo to a freind for thier kidz or something.

uwackme said:
Whats the debate about?

Dude... take the same $ as 3000+ and get a 2600+ and a NForce2 MBoard. Toss the Soyo to a freind for thier kidz or something.
Well lets see, the 3000+ s $143, the 2600+ is $103, that leaves about $40 for a motherboard! That might be why :D

Diablo2K said:
Well lets see, the 3000+ s $143, the 2600+ is $103, that leaves about $40 for a motherboard! That might be why :D

the 2600's have gone up that much...wow.

Get the Mobile 35watt 2400+ and save some money. $90 shipped at the Egg and it should overclock just as much if not more than the 2600+ mobile. Also, if money is tight try NewEgg's Refurb Motherboards. Chech every night until you find the nForce2 Ultra board that your looking for. Wednesday and Thursday nights seem to be the best bet.

Roberty said:
Get the Mobile 35watt 2400+ and save some money. $90 shipped at the Egg and it should overclock just as much if not more than the 2600+ mobile. Also, if money is tight try NewEgg's Refurb Motherboards. Chech every night until you find the nForce2 Ultra board that your looking for. Wednesday and Thursday nights seem to be the best bet.
Are they going to come with the stuff I need like the extra audio and USB ports? I dont care if they dont have the IDE cables and that, but if they dont come with the extra ports I am not sure it is worth it???

[edit]I was looking at this board http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-028R&type=Refurbish and it has alot of extras, how do I know which ones it comes with and which ones it dont?[/edit]

Make sure you pick the 35watt instead of the 45 watt one since it will likely overclock better since it's default voltage is lower.

Back