• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will a 600w PSU suffice..?

Klaerth

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
87
I'm attempting to assist a friend in choosing parts for a PC, preferably using mwave.com and having them build it and ship it to him.

It's going to include...

Motherboard: P6T Deluxe V2
CPU: i7 920
GPU: Undecided, but no SLI or anything of the sort
Disk: 1TB Western Digital

Other than that, merely the basics. A single DVD drive, an alright sound card, etc. There is no intent for any overclocking, or anything of the sort.

The two PSUs offered by mwave for installation into a case are a 600w Thermaltake, or an 850w Thermaltake...

Will the 600w be enough for what is to be had, or will it be better to go with the 850w?
 
Depends on the power supply. You can pretty much ignore wattage these days as it is rather meaningless (you want to look at amps amongst other things). Your video card is really the main deciding factor when it comes to power supply choice however. With all that said however, any decent power supply that is rated for 600w will be sufficient for any single video card setup with the specs you have listed.
 
very doable with a 600W psu. if he doesnt care about modular cables, mwave has the Antec EA650 or the Corsair TX650 for ~$80. Those are two very good psu's that won't break the bank.
 
Which Thermaltake 600W PSU is this? Please post as much information about it as you can.
 
Which video card are you looking at? Thermaltake PSUs aren't the best of the bunch (would have been nice to see mwave offer something with more quality) but the 600W should probably be enough for a single card setup (GTX260 or HD4890).
 
Looking over the PSU in more detail, it looks to be of iffy quality...but I think I was misreading how things were to be done. I ought to be able to choose any PSU without a problem, I do believe, so I'll be taking a look at the higher quality 650w ones. Thankee for the support. =>
 
Looking over the PSU in more detail, it looks to be of iffy quality...but I think I was misreading how things were to be done. I ought to be able to choose any PSU without a problem, I do believe, so I'll be taking a look at the higher quality 650w ones. Thankee for the support. =>

Go ahead and post what higher quality 650W PSUs you're looking at. Some of those "higher quality" 650W PSUs might also be crap.
 
Back
Top