will a 5670 outdo a 3850

wesleys_dad

[H]ard|Gawd
Id like to know what you gamers think...I game every so often but nothing weekly..
I play chrysis and oblivion when i do play...would a 5670 outperform a 3850 in graphics and run cooler to boot.....

Definitely.. I think it would be a noticeable improvement over a 3850. I don't know how well Crysis will fare with the 5670 though. Might have to dial some settings down to medium.

why not get a 8800gt 512mb or 8800gts 512mb?

8800gt G92 can be had for around $50 on the trade forums.

8800gts G92 can be had for around $60.... both give the 3850 and 5670 a beat down.

why not get a 8800gt 512mb or 8800gts 512mb?

8800gt G92 can be had for around $50 on the trade forums.

8800gts G92 can be had for around $60.... both give the 3850 and 5670 a beat down.

I don't know about the 8800GT giving the 5670 a beat down

anyway, a 4870, or GTX260 should do you better, you can probably get a used one for about the same price as the 5670 new

I don't know about the 8800GT giving the 5670 a beat down

anyway, a 4870, or GTX260 should do you better, you can probably get a used one for about the same price as the 5670 new

I just checked average fps between 8800gt and a 5670 and it is roughly the same so you are right on that note. But of course the 8800gts G92 is ahead by a noticeable amount so I would say it is a much better buy than a 5670.

Only thing the hd5670 is better (vs an 88gt or 48xx) is for HTPC purposes.

I think he is using > as an arrow and not "greater than".

but then again my sarcasm meter could be on the fritz.
:D

power consumption ^^?

Its not a huge factor unless you have 24/7 operation or incredibly high power bills or heat issues in the build's ambient temp(Or if you have a crappy underperforming PSU). I can work though some of the math for you on that if you want but trust me the monetary penalty on the difference between the power consumption on 24/7 operation for a year wouldn't even equate to the price difference.

I think he is using > as an arrow and not "greater than".

but then again my sarcasm meter could be on the fritz.
:D

nah because he used an equal sign too lol

You could always get a 5770. Rumor mill is saying to wait until next week for some announcement.

I went from a 512MB 3850 to a 512 5670. The net cost after selling the old card was about 30 bucks.
It's enough to play Fallout 3 at 16x12 but w/o AA. I run DA:O at the same res with 2xAA.
The 5670 draws half the power at load (about 30 vs. 60 watts) and dumps less heat into the case. I had an Accelero S1 on the 3850, but left the stock AC L2 on the 5670. It's quieter than my case fans.
The reviews I have seen bench it about 30% faster than the 3850.
It doesn't use an extra power connector and takes all it's juice from the slot.

find a 4830 4850 or 4870 used

I run a 4830 at 1600x1200, and most games let me turn on some eye candy as well.

the 3000 series from ati was shit shit shit, and I love ATI.

Its not a huge factor unless you have 24/7 operation or incredibly high power bills or heat issues in the build's ambient temp(Or if you have a crappy underperforming PSU). I can work though some of the math for you on that if you want but trust me the monetary penalty on the difference between the power consumption on 24/7 operation for a year wouldn't even equate to the price difference.

nah because he used an equal sign too lol

When someone lists power consumption as a concern about buying a computer component, only in rare cases are they concerned with a power bill. Power = heat, and even just a few watts less usage makes a noticeable difference in temps.

When someone lists power consumption as a concern about buying a computer component, only in rare cases are they concerned with a power bill. Power = heat, and even just a few watts less usage makes a noticeable difference in temps.

Or when your PSU is only 300W and having to buy a new one for $50 totally defeats the purpose of buying a cheap 8800GT/4850.

Id like to know what you gamers think...I game every so often but nothing weekly..
I play chrysis and oblivion when i do play...would a 5670 outperform a 3850 in graphics and run cooler to boot.....

Hey,
If your still playing these older games on your 3850 and it performs good for you stick to your card untill you feel you want to play DX10 or Future DX11 Games. High End cards will go cheaper in the next few months if you want to hold off and keep your options open.
And with this info here your 3850 smokes a 5670 (in one of the test) so it isnt much of an upgrade at the moment, have a look HERE <<<
Also depending on the games you play the type of video card will slightly out perform others in any budget. So just do your homework on what you really want and be happy. =D
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey,

...So just do your homework on what you really want and be happy. =D

Good luck!

Holy thread resurrection batman! Last post was 7/12? July 12th? I hope he's already decided on his video card by now =) If not, I hope he's waiting for the 67xx series to come out to drive down the 56xx prices or buy the 66 series equivilent for more power/cheaper. My advice this close to the release...aka 2 weeks would be to wait the two weeks and see if maybe you can save up another 10-20 dollars in the meantime.

Back