Will 2GB of ram be fine for Vista

markman

n00b
I'm planning on buying Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for my gaming pc, I currently am using 2 GB of g.skill ram..I read reviews and many say it's a good idea to get at least 3gb of ram for vista 64. Can anyone comment on this? Is 3gb + really a necessity for 64 bit edition?

1 GB is okay, 2 GB is good, more than 2 GB just helps make the experience smoother. I've used x64 Vista with 2 and 4 GB RAM. It was smoother with the 4 GB, but 2 GB was still fine.

And this is where the forum's disabled search is really killer.

Search isn't totally disabled, it's just in a new form. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, whammo... Google Search for the forum. Not quite as handy but hey, it's better than nothing.

2GB is the sweet spot for Vista, any edition. Once you hit the 2GB mark, then Vista really starts to shine. Anything less, a slight performance hit, anything more and it just gets faster.

Running 2GB in my other machine just installed Vista x86, runs great even with 2GB ram.

Hey bro........

Honestly.........IME vista is bloated. I wouldn't run it personally with less then 4gigs but two gigs will be fine. I wouldn't run any os with just a gig personally.

It really pisses me off that MS is dropping support for XP Pro 64 as I sware my system is slower with Vista 64 then my friends indentical system running XP 64.

I game with 2 GB, and I don't really like it. Especially things like alt-tabbing out of a big game like Team Fortress 2 -- it's a pain in the ass. Just get 4 GB.

I started using Vista with 2gb of ram. I'm at 6gb now and haven't noticed any difference in gaming. Not that I play alot of games. Civ4, WoW, CoD4.

2gb is fine, i ran Vista on 2Gb for a long time and i never had any problems, gaming or anything else..

It isn't a necessity, but if you are spending the money to upgrade, what's another $25 or so to jump to 4 GB?

Unless, of course, your system is using DDR, and it would cost quite a bit more to upgrade. That money would be better saved for a system upgrade later on.

2 gigs will do fine, just make sure you have a nice defragmented page file, preferably two on different drives :)

You may also want to try out readyboost if you have a spare flash drive.

RAM is cheap enough these days though...

I believe that there is a difference between 2gb and 4gb. You will be fine with just 2gb (I run that in my machine). However, on very similar hardware, my wife's machine is "snappier" than mine, and she has 4gb of RAM.

I wouldn't wait on your upgrade -- it is something you can always add later. In fact, some people have reported that they had to remove 2GB of their 4GB of RAM to install vista, then put the memory back in.

In fact, some people have reported that they had to remove 2GB of their 4GB of RAM to install vista, then put the memory back in.
That was only an issue on some boards, mainly Nvidia chipset ones. However, the OP stated the media has SP1 built-in, which eliminates this issue.

2GB is ok, not fine. IMO, it's barely enough to get you a nice, stable, smooth experience.

That is, unless you like the sound of hard drive thrashing. Moving from 2GB > 4GB > 6GB netted me a whole lot more smoother and pleasant computing experience. Oh, with Vista x64. :)

For gaming, your 2 Gigs will chug a bit, but you won't notice a huge frame rate hit while playing, it will just take a long time to switch and load/exit games due to page file thrashing.

For a smooth experience you'll want 3 gigs or better.

Back