• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wii2 Next Year?

gimp

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
10,583
So, the info supposedly was leaked from a Nintendo of France marketing employee.
doesn't sound too legit to me, though. But I guess it's possible?

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

not to mention it comes from MaxConsole.
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=37744

Would not be too surprising at all to be that "soon," coming from Nintendo.
 
Most of the Wii userbase couldn't care less about BD or 1080p output. They better have a new gimmick or something.
 
Nintendo has always been on a 5 year cycle, which brings us to Fall 2011.

I also have my doubts about 1080P support because they don't believe in graphics.... *sigh* I love Nintendo, but I wish they'd put out a console with a little more muscle.
 
I think Nintendo's been making way too much money on the wii as it is to be replacing it so soon.
 
Nonsense, they believe in graphics, just not to the detriment or neglect of everything else. Listen, I love, LOVE my 360, and fully expect to love my PS3 slim I'm getting for christmas (it's nice to choose your own gifts, isn't it?), BUT, there is also something to be said for the fact that I'm sick to tears of the endless stream of FPS and "realistic" graphics rehash bullshit.

At least with Wii, developers who really want to make a mark visually need to be *creative*. I'll just say it now: Fuck realism in games. No console can top what I can see just going for a walk. Show me some ART, not some photoshopped textures slapped onto your "gritty" model. BORING.

That said, I think this rumor is just silly, particularly for suggesting we'll see a console launch in 2010 from Nintendo. A new DSi in the fall maybe (it'll be 2 years old, after all), but no console. We may get an ANNOUNCEMENT of a new console for a holiday 2011 release, though, that's not at all implausible.

I *am* convinced that Nintendo will launch before MS or Sony do, simply because they *need* to. HDTV is finally starting to come into its own (FINALLY in over 50% of homes, which wasn't remotely close to being true when Wii launched), and HD capable hardware can be had relatively cheaply. Assuming a late 2011 launch, if Nintendo were to build a console from present day capable components (2009 or at the outside, 2010 tech) they could *easily* overpower both PS3 and 360, and do it cheaply. Take a page from Sony's book, launch the new system at a higher price (say, $249, 299 maybe) and drop the price of the older system ($129-149 Wii would still get a lot of mileage) but keep both on the market, and you've got an impressive punch, you cover two market areas and you turn a profit at both ends while making the "hardcore" (which really just means "idiot") gamer happy at long last.

This is totally doable. Bluray is possible, but relatively pointless, IMHO. I'd much prefer to see them integrate a variety of streaming media technology partnerships. Bluray is old news, the future is digital.
 
It just feels too soon for a new wii. I don't really think its needed anytime soon either.
 
This is probably untrue, but keep in mind that nintendo did a very good job keeping the wii under wraps. Also, their profits and sales are plummeting while microsoft is holding strong and sony is gaining steam.

It might be a good idea to get something out the door quickly because the longer things go the worse it looks like it may get for them. The system is painfully underpowered and the lack of decent games recently is ridiculous considering how many they've sold.
 
It might be worth it if it could play all wii games at 1080P with 4xAA or something?
 
Most of the Wii userbase couldn't care less about BD or 1080p output. They better have a new gimmick or something.

I would buy 1 for the lightgun games if it was able to run in atleast 720p. My wii when hooked up to my 65 looks like shit so it's hooked up to my 36 Panasonic Tau in the living room and it looks much better.
 
I hate my Wii because it looks like garbage on a big TV. I'd love to have one running at 720p, let alone 1080p.
Still, some of that stuff sounds a little suspect...especially the Blu-Ray functionality.
Plus, aren't they still the overall market leader? Would they really go in the total opposite direction with the strongest system after having so much success at a low price point?
I bet we just see an HD Wii (720p support, Dolby Digital, backward compatible) in a year or two.
 
The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.

I can't see Nintendo using a sony format. They don't even allow their consoles to play DVD movies. I see them creating their own format before outsourcing it to Sony. Besides -- if the purpose is to stop piracy -- well, soon we'll all have blu-ray burners in our computers and that doesn't make sense.

- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
I don't believe the big N has ever done a world-wide release. I don't see that happening either.

- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.
Sounds fishy. Backwards compatibilty is free or non existant.
 
Lets look at this from a nintendo prospective.

They have yet to release the controllers in multiple colors to get people to buy more of them. Hell I'd expect them to build the wii motion plus into a new controller at some point.

They have yet to redesign the console in some manner(including making it in multiple colors) to make people rebuy it.

They have yet attempted to make some kind of expansion device for the console outside of the wii motion plus(this may qualify).

Nintendo needs to do the above before they will consider the next console. Should be clear this is the game they play.

Anyway my wii has been sitting in its bag for months now. Havn't really seen anything new I wanted to play.
 
it's hard to say, really.
a new system shortly after their sales start dropping for the existing console? sounds plausible. Especially since they could continue to sell the Wii at a lower price point.

Nintendo has generally been more about gameplay, not graphics.

I think my Wii looks fine on my 42" plasma. But then again, I play games for the fun of the game, not the graphics. Hell, I enjoy playing my NES on my plasma. It's all about the gameplay. I don't buy video games for eye-candy. That's what the ladies are for! :p
 
Lets look at this from a nintendo prospective.

They have yet to release the controllers in multiple colors to get people to buy more of them. Hell I'd expect them to build the wii motion plus into a new controller at some point.

They have yet to redesign the console in some manner(including making it in multiple colors) to make people rebuy it.

They have yet attempted to make some kind of expansion device for the console outside of the wii motion plus(this may qualify).

Nintendo needs to do the above before they will consider the next console. Should be clear this is the game they play.

Anyway my wii has been sitting in its bag for months now. Havn't really seen anything new I wanted to play.

The controller's have been announced I believe for release by Christmas, the picks I saw were pink,black, and that damn easter egg blue.
 
Lets look at this from a nintendo prospective.

They have yet to release the controllers in multiple colors to get people to buy more of them. Hell I'd expect them to build the wii motion plus into a new controller at some point.

They have yet to redesign the console in some manner(including making it in multiple colors) to make people rebuy it.

They have yet attempted to make some kind of expansion device for the console outside of the wii motion plus(this may qualify).

Nintendo needs to do the above before they will consider the next console. Should be clear this is the game they play.

Anyway my wii has been sitting in its bag for months now. Havn't really seen anything new I wanted to play.

Actually:

1. Multiple color controllers are announced, black are already available.
2. Black Wii consoles are already shipping in Japan and are slated for Europe soon. No word on US black Wii's.
3. No expansions? What do you call the Balance Board? Wii Motion Plus? The upcoming vitality sensor?
4. FYI, they've recently announced a bundle for Europe, with a black Wii, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Sports AND Wii Sports Resort all in the box. Who knows, could be coming stateside!

Also, beyond extra colors (several of which were available at launch,) the Gamecube never received a hardware revision (aside from removing the digital out port) at all.
 

I'd say that yes, he's still correct to the extent that hey, they're still making a *profit*, which it took MS forever to do and Sony still hasn't managed to achieve this generation (and couple with that the fact that PS3 has already eaten all of PS2's profits, you get an even clearer picture that Wii isn't in desperate straits just yet).

It's also worth noting that in spite of the reduced demand (and holy crap, it took three YEARS to get to this point?), Wii is still on top for the year's console sales, and for the entire generation so far, by a huge margin.

With all that said, I believe that Nintendo NEEDS to announce Wii 2, Wii HD, whatever you want to call it, sometime in 2010, with an eye towards a 2011 launch. They can use *today's* tech and be able to overpower PS3 AND 360 (making it easy to port those systems' games to their new box) while still coming in cheaply at $299 or less. Couple that with a price drop on the very profitable regular Wii and you've got a recipe for success.

Question is, what's the plan? And what the hell have they spent 3 billion dollars on at AMD in R&D the last 3 years?
 
The only reason I have yet to buy a wii to sit next to my 360 elite and PS3 80 gig is because they hit the fail boat by not having an HDMI or 1080p on thier system

I will continue to wait until they pull their heads out of their ass and realize that HDTV is where it is.
You can still make a great game with out all the fancy graphics I life those games better.
But I want my damn HDMI cabling makes it 10x easier to connect everything.
 
I'd say Nintendo was RIGHT to do what they did with Wii. When that system launched, HDTV accounted for about 15% of the market.

And HDMI sucks, are you kidding? Worst cable EVER, with its numerous revisions and none of them consistently behave together. HORRIBLE format. I'll take DVI over HDMI any day. Hell, I run my 360 with Component and it looks great (and yes, I have an HDMI 360 but I still don't use the HDMI port)

I'm a huge fan of great graphics, but that comes from *art* design. Sadly, and as much as I love my 360 and upcoming PS3, realistic graphics are not great, they're BORING. I wish more developers would try to use the power of 360 and PS3 for doing clever ART design. Sadly, they don't in most cases.
 
HDMI is a good format on the surface, but because the receiver market was late to the show (and with initial models being really pricy) it's taken this long to finally by worthwhile.
For 95% of the market, HDMI is just a DVI video cable and stereo RCA's in one...which is really nothing special in most cases.
 
HDMI is a good format on the surface, but because the receiver market was late to the show (and with initial models being really pricy) it's taken this long to finally by worthwhile.
For 95% of the market, HDMI is just a DVI video cable and stereo RCA's in one...which is really nothing special in most cases.

The key to what you said is "on the surface." When you look at HDMI and realize that there are numerous versions available (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 is announced, though I don't know if it's shipping yet), and the different versions dislike *each other,* and that if you bought a brand new HDTV to use with your 6 month old DVD upscaler via HDMI there's a very good chance you'll have to buy a NEW DVD player because the tv and the dvd player you already have use a different version of the same damn connector, meaning that rather than playing your movies nicely it'll instead throw security errors and cause your screen to blink, resolution to drop, audio to cut out...

Yeah...fuck HDMI.
 
I think you're exaggerating a little. There are some incapatibility issues, but it's not like everything won't see eye to eye.
 
This is the kind of flub that floats around about this time into a console cycle. Next week both Microsoft and Sony will have some "specs" floating out there too. It's no different from when magazines used to speculate about upcoming specs and release dates. While we know Nintendo is in R&D right now for the next system, nobody is going to know the specifics.
 
The key to what you said is "on the surface." When you look at HDMI and realize that there are numerous versions available (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 is announced, though I don't know if it's shipping yet), and the different versions dislike *each other,* and that if you bought a brand new HDTV to use with your 6 month old DVD upscaler via HDMI there's a very good chance you'll have to buy a NEW DVD player because the tv and the dvd player you already have use a different version of the same damn connector, meaning that rather than playing your movies nicely it'll instead throw security errors and cause your screen to blink, resolution to drop, audio to cut out...

Yeah...fuck HDMI.

ironically out of all my HDMI devices, only my PS3 has issues, everthing else works as intended
 
ill be happy as long as nintendo integrates the wiimotionplus into the wiimotes and has a unit the can do hd resolutions. whatever other crap they add, I don't care. I had a lot of fun with my wii, however I thought the wiimotes had horrible accuracy and the 480p visuals were killing me. seriously if anyone thinks the wii visuals are bad on their tv, try playing it on a 7 foot projection screen, your eyes bleed. I sold my wii right before the price drop because I really did not feel like buying 4 wiimotionplus addons (to go with my 4 nunchucks...) just to make the controllers work correctly in new games.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it makes these old games look good on my HDTV.

Would also expect a major overhaul on Nintendos online system come Wii 2, since most people absolutely hate friend codes. I'd imagine they would even include Wii Speak in the sensor bar, along with Wii Motion Plus in the remotes whenever they create a new Wii.
 
I think you're exaggerating a little. There are some incapatibility issues, but it's not like everything won't see eye to eye.

Actually, it's a lot like that. I've experienced it personally, and know at least a dozen people who've had similar issues. I got a new HD set for the bedroom last december, we'd JUST bought a new upscaler dvd player in July, and the two would NOT work together over HDMI, end of story. Endless "security handshake failed" errors. A little research and I found that the "old" DVD player had HDMI 1.2, the TV 1.3. So I bought a brand new dvd player, confirming in advance that it had HDMI 1.3, and voila, problem solved.

The problem here is, I shouldn't have had to buy a new player, period. I'm further convinced that it's precisely this sort of incompatibility crap, not to mention the other moving targets associated with HDTV, that have made its adoption so unbelievably slow and frustrating for consumers.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to define a SPECIFICATION for a connection format, it should be set in stone, *period*. You don't see people having problems because of "RCA 1.2 won't work with RCA 1.3" now do you? No, no you don't.

HDMI was a terrible idea implemented for a single reason: to lock consumers out of their own purchased media on any terms except what the corporation selling it dictates. DRM in any flavor is a waste of time and causes far, FAR more harm than good.

/Rant :)
 
PS3 uses HDMI 1.3, it's quite likely your other devices are 1.2 or older. I had a nightmare issue precisely because my TV was 1.3 but my 6 month old DVD upscaler was 1.2. It's ridiculous that there should EVER be a compatibility issue between one version of the same effing connector and another :)
 
3. No expansions? What do you call the Balance Board? Wii Motion Plus? The upcoming

I call them gimmicks, but maybe that's just me :D

In all seriousness, while only costing $199 initially, the Wii can get very expensive, very quickly.

Wii- 199.99
4 controllers- 4(39.99)
4 nunchucks- 4(19.99)
4 WMP- 4(19.99)............yes, I know you can get 2 included with Wii Sports Resort, or 1 with Tiger Woods 10
balance board (89.99)
______________________
total = $609.84 before taxes

Granted, I know not everyone needs 4 controllers all equipped with WMP and a balance board, but Nintendo is obviously making a killing off these accessories for the system. That's over $600 and the only games you would have are the original Wii Sports and Wii Fit (not even Wii Fit Plus). TBH the accessories are what drives me the most crazy about the Wii. Nintendo just keeps saying "So you've played all the good games currently available? Well we have this new non-crapware game coming out but you're gonna need X new accessory to play the game properly." They really need to at least start incorporating the WMP into future controllers and keep the $39.99 price tag IMO. Though I know they won't because you'd be shocked at how many people HAVE to have the accessories for the Wii to play the games....I can't tell you how many people come to my work and buy more wheels for $15 a pop so they can play Mario Kart.
 
I call them gimmicks, but maybe that's just me :D

In all seriousness, while only costing $199 initially, the Wii can get very expensive, very quickly.

Wii- 199.99
4 controllers- 4(39.99)
4 nunchucks- 4(19.99)
4 WMP- 4(19.99)............yes, I know you can get 2 included with Wii Sports Resort, or 1 with Tiger Woods 10
balance board (89.99)
______________________
total = $609.84 before taxes

Granted, I know not everyone needs 4 controllers all equipped with WMP and a balance board, but Nintendo is obviously making a killing off these accessories for the system. That's over $600 and the only games you would have are the original Wii Sports and Wii Fit (not even Wii Fit Plus). TBH the accessories are what drives me the most crazy about the Wii. Nintendo just keeps saying "So you've played all the good games currently available? Well we have this new non-crapware game coming out but you're gonna need X new accessory to play the game properly." They really need to at least start incorporating the WMP into future controllers and keep the $39.99 price tag IMO. Though I know they won't because you'd be shocked at how many people HAVE to have the accessories for the Wii to play the games....I can't tell you how many people come to my work and buy more wheels for $15 a pop so they can play Mario Kart.

Considering the MSRP for those wheels is $10, you must work at Gamestop, the only place I've seen who consistently overcharges for damn near everything :).

That said, you're presenting a fallacious argument. Most people don't need half the crap you listed off. I own a balance board because the GF wanted Wii Fit, but several other games have used it, so it's nice to have for those titles. Gimmick? Maybe, but I think that's a hard argument to make considering that the title it ships with simply couldn't be done without it.

Wii Motion Plus is interesting; I love the way it works, and that it makes the Wiimote finally work like we hoped it would to begin with, but I have yet to buy any. I plan to, of course, but only with games that include one in the package. Probably WSR at some point, but definitely Red Steel 2 (played it at E3 and it was freaking fantastic). Who knows what else. I'll say this: people paying $20 a pop for a naked WMP device are idiots.

As for the Mario Kart wheel though, come on, man, we all know you don't need the wheel at all. You can use any of half a dozen control methods. The wheel is cute, but it's a hunk of plastic, it doesn't make things better. In fact, I prefer MK without the wheel (sideways Wiimote, please).

But of COURSE Nintendo is making a killing off the accessories. Why shouldn't they be? Do you think MS is going to market Natal just because they think it'd be nice to do? That Sony is parroting the Wiimote just for kicks? Of course not! It's all about the profit. I actually know a guy who thinks "Sony cares about pushing ART". Dude's out of his fucking mind. Sony caring about art? What do I have to smoke so I can believe that? All three vendors are after a single goal: Cash in the coffers.

What matters, though, isn't who makes a profit, it's how much FUN do you have. If you're having a good time, they've earned their money and deserve every dime of it. Why begrudge them their success? Clearly they made some right choices while their competitors made some wrong choices. They understood the market better, and they won. Why complain about that? :)
 
blu-ray would just add way to much to the cost of the device and I don't nintendo wants to pay sony (a rival) blu ray licensing fees.
 
I call them gimmicks, but maybe that's just me :D

In all seriousness, while only costing $199 initially, the Wii can get very expensive, very quickly.

Wii- 199.99
4 controllers- 4(39.99)
4 nunchucks- 4(19.99)
4 WMP- 4(19.99)............yes, I know you can get 2 included with Wii Sports Resort, or 1 with Tiger Woods 10
balance board (89.99)
______________________
total = $609.84 before taxes

The Wii comes with 1 controller and 1 nunchuck already
 
not to mention the balance comes bundled with a game
and Wii Sports Resort comes bundled with a Motion Plus (or 2).
Then get WiiPlay for another game and remote.
 
Back
Top