Wii U Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze out today!

Troub

Gawd
Anyone else going to pick it up? I am excited since I love all the DK games and this one looks great, I will be picking it up after work today :).

My wife is picking up a copy today!! Both of us, and our son are super excited.

I will get it as soon as I got the fundage to do so.

i'll be buying it on my way home today. Does anyone know if the co-op can be played with the tablet as well as a pro controller?

My brother is getting it. I can't wait to play it, and I don't have to pay for it.

amazon is slow... won't be here until 25th lol on a preorder shipped on prime

I remember the original DK and it was a blast. I have an Xbox one or I would probably pick up this game as well.

if they think DK is hard, they should not even bother with SMB Luigi U, now that's hard...

I'm grabbing it on my way home from work today. Finally a reason to power on my WiiU. I haven't played Mario 3D yet either so once I'm done this I think I'll trade it in towards that. How's the co-op in DK?

The biggest complaint from reviewers? It's too hard..

Jesus , make a game hard and call it Dark Souls and people love it. But a Nintendo classic know for it's challenging game play style then it's " too hard".

Different types of "hard" and rewards to go with it. Dark Souls is a methodical and slow paced challenge in a massive game world full of discovery.

Donkey Kong is some cartoon penguins that keep knocking you off ropes so you can't get to the next level.

Last edited:
I picked it up last night on the eShop. First off; it takes forever to download 11 gigs on the eShop so I don't think I'll ever do that again..

The game is a lot of fun and really challenging. Frustrating at times. It reminds me of when I was younger and totally horrible at the old Mario games. Graphics are a pleasure to look at and it's just an all around great platformer. I hated the original DKC games back on SNES so I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since the N64 one; but this is really excellent.

Nintendo always nails the platforming genre. This game is no exception and is a beauty to look at and play. It's enough of a challenge as well, so that always helps. In some ways it makes me wonder how Nintendo can sell a game like this to a child. Children have no shot at some of these levels. Same goes for the extra stages in super mario 3d world...

It is a gorgeous looking game. I have to admit I am not really a fan of this series--I've always found donkey kong to be a bit a clunker of a character, but there is a lot of cool stuff going on here.

I apparently need to read the instruction manual. In the past, if you wanted to bounce high off of an enemy, you just held the run or jump button while you jumped on top of the enemy. Now, that doesn't seem to work. Sometimes DK bounces high but most of the time he doesn't so it's more difficult to reach certain areas. So they changed the mechanics? That kinda pisses me off.

I played not even half way into the first stage before I decided to quit because they changed how the bouncing worked. It doesn't work like it used to!

Different types of "hard" and rewards to go with it. Dark Souls is a methodical and slow paced challenge in a massive game world full of discovery.

Donkey Kong is some cartoon penguins that keep knocking you off ropes so you can't get to the next level.

Both are challenging games but because one is much more modern it's difficulty is praised while the more traditional game well known throughout it's history to be challenging is dinged for being so in the modern gaming world.

I fail to see the logic in the comparison that justifies that path of thought.

Problems with hand eye coordination eh¿ :p

Awesome so far. IMO, it's a better game than anything available on PS4/XBone at this time.

I hate all the Wii-U hate. I traded my 360 and all my games for a Wii-U / Motes / Pro Controller setup and some games and it was one of the best gaming decisions I've made in a long time

I have to say I'm really impressed with how good this game looks. I've only beaten the first 4 levels, but I'm having a blast with this! I was also impressed the game came with an actual physical paper manual, complete with colored pictures and everything. I'm getting DKC2 flashbacks from this game.

I was also impressed the game came with an actual physical paper manual, complete with colored pictures and everything.

I love old game manuals. I still flip through my old NES manuals from time to time.

Same here. I still have 2 copies of the epic manual for MechCommander back in the day. Almost as much flipping through those pages as it is playing the actual game!

I'm only up to the second world, but it's a lot of fun so far. The difficulty is high at times, but it's challenging not annoying like some difficult games.

Of course, the only thing that's bugging me so far is that the music in the first area is so damn upbeat and jangly. Someone at Nintendo has a god damned hard-on for ragtime music. It's like they brought David Wise back to help with the music but didn't let him do anything. The original DKC games had such nice mellow music but all modern Nintendo-produced games are now plagued by cheesy upbeat crap. There's not one ounce of soul in this music. It sounds like mass-produced J-pop piss. It's the Bud Lite of video game music.

So I've been playing and it's a pretty fun game but the boss battles are just, I dunno, boring or painful. I'm only on the second boss and I've been having difficulty maintaining interest in the game because the boss fights are just so long for a platform game.

The bosses go through a routine at their own pace, you tediously avoid obstacles and have to keep figuring out what exactly you're supposed to do after each death. After about 10-20 tries, you figure out exactly what you're supposed to do and avoid dying and you win but only after you've spent an hour figuring out every move to make.

I think that in the old DKC games you had to hit the boss three times, I think it's nine times now, and, like I said, it's slow, repetitive, and boring. The normal stages are fun, though.

Gonna get my final word in since I finally finished the game!

At the beginning of the game, I thought it was fun but felt that the boss battles were too long and boring, later in the game I was getting a bit annoyed with the level design and the boss battles still sucked, then finally I felt like the stages were getting fun and the boss battles were getting easier. Maybe I was just getting used to the abuse. Also, there are maybe a few rocket barrel stages, f@#$ those.

First thing to know about Tropical Freeze is that it's not Sonic the Hedgehog, MANY times you have to stop and wait for an obstacle to get out of your way. I think I watched a time attack video where they were using Dixie; I felt like Dixie was the best partner since her jump boost saved my butt all the time. Then again, some of the other partners may come in handy in some of the boss battles. I didn't count, but I think that the bosses require nine hits. The boss battles seemed to all of three phases and were so drawn out that occasionally I caught myself forgetting what I was doing. It's great that they wanted to make more difficult bosses, but they were just boring.

Anyway, the graphics and music were good and I'll probably go back and play some stages to get some puzzle pieces or KONG letters but that time attack stuff is a bit crazy. I've been consistently pleased with the graphics and frame rate on Nintendo's Wii U games. Now that I'm done with DKC, I'm buying Mario Kart 8 and not looking back.

Edit: Wait, who am I kidding? The loading times are so long that I don't have the patience to go back through and get the collectibles that I missed. No, you can't install games to the internal storage device.

Another Edit: If your game has more than TWO forced option screens before getting into the game, you need a separate options menu where people can make their choices and have them remembered. I just mash the A button and I'm sure there are four or five screens before I actually get to the long loading screen that gets me to the map.

Last edited:
Back