Wii Situation

This is a little off topic, but looking at this picture always makes me laugh.

We've waited this long already, whats a few more weeks!! :( :(

zelda.jpg

Yes that is an ad in Best Buy saying Twilight Princess was going to be in stock on 8/1/05 :rolleyes: It's not a misprint, I took this picture over 1.5 years ago.

woohooo :D
photo9gk0.jpg

photo2hp0.jpg

:)

Just sat outside of Toys 'R' Us for 10 hours to get this baby but I got it.

One of the 18 stores (out of 450+) in the US to have a midnight launch.

Local store here actually has 29 of these things, and still less than that camping..I came home to warm up then I might go back over to get one or two..

Console launches are the one time I wish I lived in the middle of nowhere.

I had a dream/nightmare that the Wii purchasing was based on grades for my class. All the top students in the class were getting their names called and it was like some messed up honors ceremony. Needless to say, I couldnt sleep very well! :eek:

Anyways, I'm soon to be off to swing by 2 less-centralized targets. The battle plan is to go AWAY from the big mall (Woodfield) and try to hit up a less suburbanized area with hopes of fewer campers! If that doesnt work then i think im just gonna call around a ton of stores and hope for the best.

I just got my ticket for the system at target, showed up at 7:00, gave out tickets at 7:05 and I was the second to last person.

Guess it wasnt as bad as a thought, I think walmarts were the only ones that got hammered since they were the only places selling ti at midnight. This morning I Rolled by one target and saw 5 tents, so I'm like "okay, only maybe 10-15 people", then about 10 minutes later about 7-8 people step out of each tent, so I bail. Then I go to another one at around 6:30, they handed out the tickets at ~7:15 and I was remarkably 16/39. Just got back ~$500 poorer and I'm about to get my wii on.

Hopefully it doesnt look too crappy without the HD cables, target didnt have any.

it's a shame... so much for the whole "there will be plenty availiable" talk lol... :(

I wonder why soo many wal marts only got 20

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
it's a shame... so much for the whole "there will be plenty availiable" talk lol... :(

I wonder why soo many wal marts only got 20

Check back in a week.

just got back from target (lake worth, tx)
got there at 7am and there was 13 people already there, some overnighters.
they handed out tickets, number 13 out of 24. people started showing up slowly till 8am when the doors open.
Sold out.

gonna wait for best buy to open, supposedly they have component cables.
fun times ahead. :D

Woohoo! I picked up my friend and drove by several targets. The first 2 we saw had pretty massive lines ( we approximated at least 40). At this point we figured we were screwed. However, at the last one that we were going to, one that has only been open ~6 months, there was a line but it didnt look nearly as bad as the others. We got there are about 705, and they handed out tickets within 10 minutes. We got #23 and 24 of 39!

All i can say is that the target system was amazing. When you got your number, you filled out a card with checkboxes denoting what you games/perhipherals you wanted. Between 730 and 8 the store pulled a lot of the peripherals to a cart at the customer service area and just starting calling numbers, corresponding to the guaranteed wii units and then the peripherals that you filled out. It was incredibly well organized and rush-free. With our impeccable timing, we only had to wait in the cold for about 10 minutes, whereas some of the early campers got there are 11pm. The only downside was that by the time my friend and I got up, they had already run out of nunchucks, which strikes me as kind of odd. They had plenty of wiimotes but not nearly as many nunchucks as remotes. Sorry if im ranty, im excited.

40 miles worth of gas: $5 (estimate, i really have no clue)
Egg and bacon bagel with cheese from Mcdonalds: $4.22
Wii, Zelda, Monkey ball, and wiimote: $424
Driving by the campers at best buy holding a WII in the window and gloating: priceless

Got to Target at 6:45. Got the 86th out of 210 Wiis. :)

Got Zelda, Rayman, a Nunchuck and a Wiimote. Good stuff, I say.

It's nice to see somebody knows how to launch a console. Thankfully Nintendo seems to know what they are doing.

Toysr'us in Times Square got 5000 Wiis and the Nintendo World Store got 2000 Wii's. 7000 Wiis in 2 stores alone in NYC. :)

TheToe and I got to target at 6:00, they handed out tickets @ 6:30. Score 1

Drove by Best Buy after some warm coffee and a hot breakfast. They were giving tickets out in 15 min. Stood in line picked up ticket for second Wii. Score 2.

Drove back to Target to get my first one, they had one copy of Zelda left, and whoever had the lowest ticket still there would get it. That would be me. Score 3.

Go back to Best Buy, about 1/2hr later to get my second console. They are giving out tickets again. Grab another ticket. Walk in, grab my second console. Score 4.

Walk out to the car, drop off the Wii, locked the doors, and went right back in with my original ticket, and got my third of the day. Score 5.

Called up my relative that wanted me to pick her up two for my niece and nephew. She tells me that for doing this for her, she is going to reimburse me for my Wii, Zelda, and the wiimote/nunchuck. Super Triple Word Score 6 -10 :D

FREE Wii for me.

And to top it off, I drove by Circuit City and people were still standing outside and had not so much gotten a ticket. I had three by 9am CST

Toysr'us in Times Square got 5000 Wiis and the Nintendo World Store got 2000 Wii's. 7000 Wiis in 2 stores alone in NYC.
And over 1 million people in NYC. I wonder if that stock has been depleted by now.

MarvynDT said:
And over 1 million people in NYC. I wonder if that stock has been depleted by now.

That's just 2 stores. Considering that there are, I don't know, a billion stores here. No it hasn't been depleted. I just got back from Circuit City and Best Buy, they still have enough for walk-ins.

I always thought there were only about 1-2 million in Manhattan, but about 10 million if you include all 5 boroughs.

Yeah, my Target is in NYC. They gave away tickets 10 mins till opening, then finally ran out. But there was also a CC opening there an hour later with its own line. On the way back I saw a TRU and BB each roughly 100 people waiting there. God, I love this city.

I got in line at the Carlisle, PA Target at 2:00 AM and was 23rd in line. They handed out tickets at 7:05. They ended up having 24. Close call, but I got it. Thankfully all of my toes are still functioning, it was in the low 30s.

How many Wii's were supposedly ready for launch? Has the Wii officially out sold the PS3?

Not sure of the figures, but the Wii has probably outsold the PS3 by this point, and having done so profitably for Nintendo. I would imagine that, eventually, PS3 sales will outclass Wii sales, however.

Eight stores on my list today. I'm not terribly optimistic.

"Did you have to wait? " nope like 20 min tops. started handing out tickets for 24 consoles at like 7:10. Got there like at 6:50. Sold out of extra controllers and red steel

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
Sounds like your cities/towns got WAY more wii's in than where i am...
Pittsburgh, PA:

Went to 2 gamestops, 1 target and a Big Kmart -> all sold out except preorders.

I got in line at the Harrisonburg, VA Target at about 11:15pm, was 12th in line out of 24 total consoles sold. They handed out tickets at about 7:15am.

I was actually surprised at how much of a problem it was to get a Wii. A lot of people I knew expected to be able to walk in on Sunday any time and grab one. Nonetheless, people tried this after tickets were handed out and were turned away :p

no go for me, bestbuy and walmart sold out, didn't feel like camping.

whens the next shipment?

just called 2 walmarts, circuit city, best buy, and 2 TRUs and all are sold out. What is going on here? i thought i could get one easily...i wanted to pick one up today so i can cancel my walmart bundle online order..

sitheris said:
I got in line at the Harrisonburg, VA Target at about 11:15pm, was 12th in line out of 24 total consoles sold. They handed out tickets at about 7:15am.

I was actually surprised at how much of a problem it was to get a Wii. A lot of people I knew expected to be able to walk in on Sunday any time and grab one. Nonetheless, people tried this after tickets were handed out and were turned away :p

a lot of places weren't turning people away.. they just let them wait in line eventhough they handed out all their tickets.. that's what happened to me at Target.. they just waited till you went up to the electronics department.. asked for a wii.. and they where like "do you have a ticket?"

funny thing is.. they had all the wii's behind the counter.. and well.. there weren't any wii's left.. so why would they ask for a ticket? :confused:

lol

btf1980 said:
Toysr'us in Times Square got 5000 Wiis and the Nintendo World Store got 2000 Wii's. 7000 Wiis in 2 stores alone in NYC. :)
Btw, how do you know this? I'm in line at nintendo world right now. It's about two blocks long, but the line is moving about 10 feet every 5 minutes.

I got pretty lucky, hit a WM in the sticks about 60 miles south east of Indianapolis. They were projecting 29, but only got 20. Wasn't a 24-hour one, so their launch was at opening at 9 this morning. Got there at about quarter after 5 this morning, number 8 in line. Got the last Wii-mote and Nunchuck they had. :)

Back