Votes: 130 82.8%
  • Not quite what I expected

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Not at all

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Just curious as to how satisfied everyone is with the Wii. I have yet to get into Zelda but my son and I have been having a blast with WiiSports... he actually punched the TV during boxing (hes only 3 though) :D

I can't answer personally because I don't have one...

But my friend says "it's good but not as good as he expected".

Somewhere between "Very satisfied" and "Not quite what I expected."

I don't have one but I played my friends for like two hours today. It works very well and I was satisfied.

I'm 99.8% satisfied. If the light around the drive bay would light, I'd be 100% satisfied. Since Nintendo's shipping me a brand new unit without making me send in the old one first and I can still play all my games (Wii Sports, Zelda, Rayman, Trauma Center, Rampage) I'm happy as a clam, and by the end of the week I should be 100% satisfied :D

DragonMasterAlex said:
I'm 99.8% satisfied. If the light around the drive bay would light, I'd be 100% satisfied. Since Nintendo's shipping me a brand new unit without making me send in the old one first and I can still play all my games (Wii Sports, Zelda, Rayman, Trauma Center, Rampage) I'm happy as a clam, and by the end of the week I should be 100% satisfied :D

Why are they sending you a new one?

DragonMasterAlex said:

I think its only supposed to light up when you power on, put in a disc or when WiiConnect24 is running when the system is off (hence in options you can select bright, dim or off).

Very satisfied.

DragonMasterAlex said:

You're still gonna be 99.8% satisfied because there's nothing wrong with your Wii, that's how all of them are.

With Zelda and Wii sports I am very satisfied, with the other crap my gf bought I am very unsatisfied. She got GT pro because she liked the wheel idea, its terrible, and she got monkey ball because she thought the monkeys were cute, its a hyperactive kids game that is fun for about 10 minutes.

INCREDIBLY satisfied with my Wii and the poll should show it nicely, though I'm sure we'll get fan-babies skewing the results with fake votes.

inotocracy said:
I think its only supposed to light up when you power on, put in a disc or when WiiConnect24 is running when the system is off (hence in options you can select bright, dim or off).

Correct.

My understanding is that the bay lights when it powers up, inserts/ejects a disc, or when you are receiving something over WiiConnect24

Though it would be cool if you could choose to have it on more often..it's sooo pretty :cool:

Raines8416 said:
Why are they sending you a new one?

Uh, because the light around the drive slot doesn't light up when inserting a disk :D

I know, I know, it's purely cosmetic (and only *occasionally* cosmetic at that!), but still, it's a new unit and I want it to work 100% :D Luckily Nintendo agrees and is more than willing to send me a new one, leading me to conclude that as game industry companies go, Ninny is second to none in warranty support.

Impulse2k said:
Very satisfied.

You're still gonna be 99.8% satisfied because there's nothing wrong with your Wii, that's how all of them are.

Not according to Nintendo's tech support department nor the Wii's manual. According to both, the light is supposed to...illuminate when a disk is inserted or removed.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Not according to Nintendo's tech support department nor the Wii's manual. According to both, the light is supposed to...illuminate when a disk is inserted or removed.

I had the problem with the light not turning on when inserting a disk. I switched the WiiConnect24 "Slot Illumination" setting from "Dim" to "Bright", and it fixed it. Hope that helps!

1-800-255-3700. I've known that number since the Pokemon Red and Blue days... :D

Question for Wii owners:

Is this new style of gaming better than the old controller and analog sticks? Does the Wiimote and Nunchuck work out better? I have not tried playing a Wii yet so I'm not sure about the quality of the whole remote thing.

SpeedRunner said:
Question for Wii owners:

Is this new style of gaming better than the old controller and analog sticks? Does the Wiimote and Nunchuck work out better? I have not tried playing a Wii yet so I'm not sure about the quality of the whole remote thing.
I've put over six hours into Zelda:TP, and I've played about an hour of Red Steel (I didn't buy it, a friend did, honest). Now that I've had time to play with Zelda, I prefer the Wiimote+Nunchuk to the analog controller. It lets me put my hands where _I_ want them, not stuck together on my lap. Also, aiming for the boomerang/slingshot is, I feel, a lot better than analog sticks. Of course, moving will always require the analog stick on the nunchuk, but it's done well, (and I like Nintendo's classic "8-way-divots" on it).

For Red Steel, it works okay. The learning curve was a bit steeper than for Zelda (it is a FPS after all), but I liked the added accuracy that I felt the Wiimote could give. Sure, analog sticks have variable speeds depending on how far you push them, but that can only go so far. And you get used to holding a button to turn; it's actually less cumbersome than playing an FPS on the computer where you have to lift up the mouse when you reach the end of the mousepad.

Overall, I like it a bit better, though it still could go both ways. If developers continue to improve, I think it will be awesome. But, if developers slack off, things could turn ugly fast. Think about it like the DS: the first DS titles were basically copycats, and not that great. But now, the games have grown to take advantage of the system. A stylus has suddenly become intuitive, and I think no handheld game should be without a second screen, if only for inventory purposes.

Once again according to my friend...

He feels that Zelda would be just as good on a normal controller... besides the aiming of the slingshot (I'm assuming bow and arrow too) it feels kinda gimmicky. The slashing with the sword he said was pretty lame. Overall he said he just doesn't feel it is as immersing as he thought it would be.

Klintor said:
I had the problem with the light not turning on when inserting a disk. I switched the WiiConnect24 "Slot Illumination" setting from "Dim" to "Bright", and it fixed it. Hope that helps!

1-800-255-3700. I've known that number since the Pokemon Red and Blue days... :D

Hmm, I haven't tried that, but I will give it a try.

On a side note bro, I got a shitload of your Mii's, LOL. What a cool freaking feature :)

TP and Wii Sports are awewsome. Red Steel sucks major ass though. I can't get into the game at all and the controls are just downright confusing.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Hmm, I haven't tried that, but I will give it a try.

On a side note bro, I got a shitload of your Mii's, LOL. What a cool freaking feature :)
Haha, yeah. I've got about 40 Mii's now. I don't even see the random computer ones in the games anymore. I've recreated the casts from Scrubs, Law & Order, and Phoenix Wright (though I don't have on with the Phoenix's correct hair, but I did get Pearly to look all right). And then I have most of the Aesir.

VoodooChi|d said:
Once again according to my friend...

He feels that Zelda would be just as good on a normal controller... besides the aiming of the slingshot (I'm assuming bow and arrow too) it feels kinda gimmicky. The slashing with the sword he said was pretty lame. Overall he said he just doesn't feel it is as immersing as he thought it would be.

Hm.. thats too bad. I love the controls for Zelda. I enjoy getting pissed off at a particular enemy and being able to just whip the controller around while Link beats the hell out of them. It feels better than just pushing the b button.

The Wii light "light's up" when you have a message from another user. I set myself a pc user account and send myself the occasional email to watch the blue light pulse. Hope that helps.

xerus` said:
Hm.. thats too bad. I love the controls for Zelda. I enjoy getting pissed off at a particular enemy and being able to just whip the controller around while Link beats the hell out of them. It feels better than just pushing the b button.

agreed

hardwarephreak said:
I enjoy my Wii, but my wife enjoys my Wii too :eek: :D :eek:

(it's just too easy folks...I'll be here all week)

Awh, dammit man. I was wanting to say that one.

...Overlooking the fact that i have neither.

I loved it a lot at first but I'm hardly dying to play it anymore. Zelda feels like a rehash with lame controls on top. I was expecting more actual swordplay and running up to an enemy and z targeting is a hundred times easier than aiming from a distance. If he's in close, you'll never hit him aiming manually. The wolf form was annoying as hell until I got the master sword, then it was a little more tolerable. Btw, this is after about 20 hours playtime, it was great until about 15 hours or so.

Wii sports is fun but worth about $20 tops. The rest of the games look like crap and are either unpolished or just ports with the controls laid on top.

As far as the system goes, I like the ui and the shop channel is well done. The controller speaker is both gimmicky and makes my ears bleed and honestly sounds better with tape over it. Also, the location of the b trigger makes it extremely difficult to not move one's aim at least a little bit when pulling to fire. I know developers are all for being "intuitive" but sorry, I still realize I'm holding a white nintendo controller and not a real gun so please, put the fire button on the z trigger instead.

I gotta go with "not quite what I expected" as well. I expected the remote to be somewhat more...accurate, last night I was aiming at the bottom of my 56" TV to get the thing to point to the top of the screen...it also doesn't seem to register motions quite as well as I'd like. In Zelda I don't really swing the remote at all to swing the sword, I just sorta shake it. At the moment (for me at least) it's fun, but not quite as spectacular as I'd have expected. Maybe that's just me though.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Uh, because the light around the drive slot doesn't light up when inserting a disk :D

I know, I know, it's purely cosmetic (and only *occasionally* cosmetic at that!), but still, it's a new unit and I want it to work 100% :D Luckily Nintendo agrees and is more than willing to send me a new one, leading me to conclude that as game industry companies go, Ninny is second to none in warranty support.

Nintendo seems flakey to me now. They agree to send you a brand new wii because the light in the drive slot is broken? Meanwhile, my friend's wii is bricked and they want him to send it in for repairs that can take 1-2 weeks.

kabob983 said:
I gotta go with "not quite what I expected" as well. I expected the remote to be somewhat more...accurate, last night I was aiming at the bottom of my 56" TV to get the thing to point to the top of the screen...it also doesn't seem to register motions quite as well as I'd like. In Zelda I don't really swing the remote at all to swing the sword, I just sorta shake it. At the moment (for me at least) it's fun, but not quite as spectacular as I'd have expected. Maybe that's just me though.

Sure you've got everything configured correctly? You can calibrate the remote in Zelda, and in the Wii options (incase you didn't know, I'm sure you do) you can set sensitivity and sensor bar position-- also, are you using the sensor bar stand?

inotocracy said:
Sure you've got everything configured correctly? You can calibrate the remote in Zelda, and in the Wii options (incase you didn't know, I'm sure you do) you can set sensitivity and sensor bar position-- also, are you using the sensor bar stand?

Yeah, I've calibrated it in the Wii options (as much as it can be) and in Zelda, although I did not know that there was a sensor bar stand. How tall is the thing? (that's what I get for being hasty). Maybe I'll see if it helps at all.

It will lift it an inch or so up, it came in the same packaging as those numbered stickers (its clear plastic, maybe 2 inches wide).

kabob983 said:
Yeah, I've calibrated it in the Wii options (as much as it can be) and in Zelda, although I did not know that there was a sensor bar stand. How tall is the thing? (that's what I get for being hasty). Maybe I'll see if it helps at all.
Inch, inch and a half.

Back