Wifi caller app?

jamsomito

2[H]4U
I just switched to Ting, and now I'm being charged for the minutes I use (used to have unlimited, didn't matter). So I'm looking for an app that can make calls via wifi to save some money while I'm at home. I'm willing to pay for the app, but not for the calls (I have some unused GooglePlay bucks).

I thought of Google Voice, but it will either still use my minutes or need to be forwarded to my computer to make calls... I'd like to still use my cell. I also thought of Skype, but it's a paid service to call phones.

I found these lists, but haven't heard of any of these apps. Can anyone vouch for any of them?
List 1
List 2

Bobsled.

http://bobsled.com/features/

I used that while in Europe with a pretty spotty wifi connection to call home in the US and it worked flawlessly. I'm surprised it wasn't advertised more by T-Mobile. It's probably one of the best free apps out there. You can text too. Oh and it can use either Wifi or 3G/4G I think.

EDIT: Looks like they updated it and ruined the app. Meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Groove IP with a Google Voice account for unlimited free calls within North America. Been working great for several years over WIFI and LTE and transparently integrates with native dialer. Unfortunately, Google is making changes that may end that ability but it's still worth the couple of bucks until then.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gvoip

Isn't Google Talk free within North America?

Yeah, but using only google voice on your phone still uses minutes, unless you have some way of connecting via XMPP, like GrooVeIP it seems.

$5 is a bit steep for an app that'll only work through May, but if I can avoid bumping up to the next minutes bin on my plan, it'll pay off in a month or two.

jamsomito, get Vonage. I have the Tmobile $30 plan. I only have 100 min of talk time, so Vonage is great. It has a number pad so you can call anyone in north America (landline too) even if they don't have Vonage. Best part; you get 3000 mins a month. If you're at home it uses WiFi.

Last edited:
Yeah, but using only google voice on your phone still uses minutes, unless you have some way of connecting via XMPP, like GrooVeIP it seems.

$5 is a bit steep for an app that'll only work through May, but if I can avoid bumping up to the next minutes bin on my plan, it'll pay off in a month or two.

It only uses minutes if you use your carrier #. I'm using Google Voice (Hangouts) on a old smartphone via wifi (that has no plan)

Last edited:
Ok, I just tried GrooVeIP Lite (the free version - I'm assuming the only difference is ads, correct me if I'm wrong). There was a very significant delay in communications, like about 2 seconds worth, so the conversation was really confusing at times. Also, the recipient of my call said I sounded like I was under water, very muddy, yet I could hear him fine.

Anyone else have these issues with wifi calling? Is there a better alternative?

I have been calling using Google Hangouts on my iPhone. It shows up on the other person's phone as no caller id, and I don't think they can call me back, but otherwise works pretty good.

I have been calling using Google Hangouts on my iPhone. It shows up on the other person's phone as no caller id, and I don't think they can call me back, but otherwise works pretty good.
Get a GV number. That will show up on the caller id.

I use my laptop at home and call using GV via Hangouts. If you have an iOS device, it has wifi calling via hangouts. Android doesn't.

It's just like making a regular call, and for me the only option since cell signal sucks. Quality is great and totally free.

Groove IP works great, though all the google voice apps will be shut down by May of this year I think. They are rolling in wifi calling into google hangouts around that time just like the ios app.

Groove IP with a Google Voice account for unlimited free calls within North America. Been working great for several years over WIFI and LTE and transparently integrates with native dialer. Unfortunately, Google is making changes that may end that ability but it's still worth the couple of bucks until then.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gvoip

I used this for quite a while. Now I have enough minutes on my cell plan, but it worked well when I used it.

Back