setup
P5ND2 Sli
Pentium D 3.4Ghz
3 x 512MB DDR2 PC2 6400
1 x pcie abit wifi card
1 x nVidia 7300LE
1 x WD 40GB ata HD
ultra 600w titanium psu

well I started by using my new samsung sata DVD burner as the cd rom. I installed windows, installed all the drivers and everything but the sata drive seemed to conflict with the onboard sound. they would disable eachother out in windows. So I removed the items from device manager and rebooted. No conflicts on reboot everything appears to be installed in device manager. sata drive is working. I install all the antivirus, office, acrobat, etc. then I notice that the antivirus has a part that fails to load on startup. Im like wierd since AVG never gave me a problem in hundreds of installs so I uninstall AVG but then I realize there is no speaker volume icon in my tray either. so i go to open it manually and it tells me I have no mixer device available. Everything appears to be installed in device manager and working properly and when I search for new hardware I cant any new hardware, I delete all the devices and reinstall the AC97 drivers from the motherboard site. still nothing, So im thinking can the sata drive be causing this. I remove the sata drive and nothing still no sound.

take 2
I removed the sata drive and installed an ide dvd rom which was the 2nd drive in my computer and working fine. I put it to the slave spot on the same ide cable as the harddrive reformate the harddrive and install windows again. get into windows and get ready to install drivers. Install all the drivers I have on my jump drive no problem. (motherboard ide drivers, ethernet, and reboot. no problems seem to happen. stick in the cd for the wireless card in the cd rom. When i go into my computer to open the rom the computer freezes, totally freezes. I remove the disk and it doesnt recover. so I shut down the computer and try again. same thing as soon as i open my computer it freezes. so I shutdown and put the dvd rom to the 2nd ide as master on that ide and leave the hardrive as master on the first ide. Go back in and same thing freezes as soon as I open my computer. well I say lets see what happens if I unplug the cd rom if it will recover or not well it actually makes the motherboard go into reboot. 2 different drives 2 different problems. I cant seem to figure out WTF the problem is. Anyone have any clue????

So you had the CD drive and hard drive on the same IDE port/cable?

Have you tried using the SATA drive again?

Could be a RAM problem. Download Memtest+ V.170, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

So you had the CD drive and hard drive on the same IDE port/cable?
I tried it both on the same cable and both on their own cable same problem both ways
Have you tried using the SATA drive again?
no I got frustrated after everything I typed happened so i came here to post up and cool off.

Could be a RAM problem. Download Memtest+ V.170, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.
That may be, I originally had 4 x 512 sticks but removed one because it was bad. I didnt test the others because they booted fine. the 4th one wouldnt even let the MB post. I will try that.

An hour into the test an no errors yet.

That's at least a good sign on the memory's end, with my experience most errors come up almost instantly, if you have the time to spare as mentioned before, let it run at least 3-4 more hours before you rule out the memory as a problem.

well its still running and no errors so I dont think the memory is a problem. Any other ideas?

So your original setupw as stable butn o sound was only issue yes?

ok go back to that and forget about the motherboard website grab the nforce drivers from nvidia they have the audio built in, then run windows update see if MS has anything for ya i bet your audio turns on after your nforce install/reboot though.
me thinks this is the driver u want

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_intel_7.15.html assuming your running xp 32 bit

how old of a xp install disk u using nvmixer requires dx9 and sp1 installed also. make sure you grab any windows updates

Im installing off a XP SP2 VLK disk. why would the ide dvd rom cause the computer to lockup and pulling the power off the rom cause the computer to reboot?? I installed the sata drive again and installed the drivers off the website again and sound is working, but when i install an ide cd drive (which is what it will ultimatley be running) it does the lockup again.

Anyway, did you pull the power plug from the IDE drive while the PC was still on? As for the lockup, could be a bad cable, bad IDE port, or just a bad dvd-rom causing it. So try different IDE cables and different IDE CD/DVD drives. If the lockup still occurs, you may have a bad IDE port. That would explain why your SATA drive is functioning.

Back